Make a donation

Author Topic: Adolf the Golf  (Read 13588 times)

Offline AJB-09

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Adolf the Golf
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2023, 09:51:58 pm »
Some nice work being done, spending the money is one thing but it’s so satisfying getting these jobs done. I think secretly we quite enjoy it, gives us something to do  :happy2:

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2023, 09:28:13 am »
Very true, I am so happy that the majority of the mechanical bits are sorted and hopefully now its just a bit of a tidy up and enjoy for a while. The bonnet strut appears to be on its way out after twatting my fingers fitting the wing ( replaced with broom handle on a temporary basis!) so will order one of those...headlining is a worry for me tbh, especially as its a sunroof model...don't seem to be many options out there.

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2023, 03:11:28 pm »
Back from Le Mans after a little drive down the Mulsanne on Sunday evening! Found a chunk of the wrecked Jota as a souvenir too. Can didn't miss a beat, though a front wheel bearing is starting to protest so a new pair going on order after payday! Hard to find 97-99 Ron fuel in France..the Porsche is a real one with a giant statue behind it..if you have never been it is well worth it..this was my 10th and still magic!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2024, 02:46:22 pm »
Didn't fully appreciate how long I had left it with just little bits of tinkering till today. Decided as I have 2 days off of work with cars to work on my car. Have removed the front grills to restore the plastic from grey to black. Easy enough to remove, was going to put them in the dishwasher as that works a treat only to be told by the good lady wife that it would be a quick and easy way for me to change my gender pronouns...did it by hand in the sink. Also for Christmas I bought myself a DA polisher and had a practice on the bonnet as I am probably going to replace the panel anyway and didn't want to just go balls deep all over the car. Has made a real difference to it, but it's not Harry Potter's wand so it's still a chipped but very shiny bonnet. I also had the pleasure of having someone swipe the rear wiper jet cover so popped a new one on. I don't want a trailer queen, but just want people to perhaps think " that's pretty tidy for a Mk5 Golf" and for it to be reliable is all. Have also done the interior and used what looks like the kids slime to pick up interior dust and boy does that work too! Topped off my a mighty car mods airfreshener ....just need to find a 5 door sunroof model roofliner, it'll probably be in Atlantis guarded by unicorns and a yeti . Being forced back into the office means a few more miles on it this year so booked for 2 rear tyres soon and a good once over Incase I've overlooked something obvious.

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2024, 03:01:55 pm »
Will do the after shots tomorrow hopefully!

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #50 on: February 06, 2024, 02:26:45 pm »
Managed to get a thumb print on the lacquer of the lipstick but generally much happier with the look of it. Hard to see from the pics but night and day different in the flesh. The lipstick is in Diablo red from Peugeot left over from the GTI-6 many moons ago and still worked well. 4 coats of paint on it all, 3 coats of lacquer on the lipstick but left the satin/matt look on the other bits as per factory. All came apart and back together with no dramas. If you are thinking of doing it I say go for it! A T25 and T20 torq bit and two Philips for the fog light surrounds. Have a new genuine drivers idea door mirror indicator on its way too and new old stock genuine floor mat set too. The ones that came with it aren't lovely enough to stay in there now!

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2024, 11:11:42 am »
Floor mats arrived today from VW Derby with the correct clips and looking good! The old ones came with the car and were awful, these have a much deeper pile to the carpet and fit like a glove too. Another good job done. Have a new drivers side indicator to fit too. Went for genuine as am not sure about the smoked or dynamic sweep ones. Personally preference is all.

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2024, 02:20:33 pm »
Another job ticked off the list today...First was a good wash, will polish it a little later but the moss filled side repeater has been replaced! Not too bad in terms of DIY jobs, worst bit was trying not to break the plastic tabs ( then realising once it's off that a few were broken anyway) and getting to the two vertically placed T10 torx.  Other than that gave it a good old clean out and hey presto! Have decided that I'm never gonna get an old car to look and feel new and just to keep plodding on with it. If you were going to tackle this job yourself I'd say go for it! A good pry tool, T10 Torx bit as skinny as you can find and small point nose pliers to remove the electrical connectors is all you need.

Offline richievr

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2024, 04:00:53 pm »
Back from Le Mans after a little drive down the Mulsanne on Sunday evening! Found a chunk of the wrecked Jota as a souvenir too. Can didn't miss a beat, though a front wheel bearing is starting to protest so a new pair going on order after payday! Hard to find 97-99 Ron fuel in France..the Porsche is a real one with a giant statue behind it..if you have never been it is well worth it..this was my 10th and still magic!

I miss Lemans  :confused: i went 8 years out of 10 from 2000 - 2010 must go back again one year! absolutely love it !!

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2024, 04:38:02 pm »
Well I have my tickets for this year too and cannot recommend it high enough. Miss my dad being there with me but still an awesome place to go. @richievr if you ever want to go back and need any advice let me know ( same for any of you reading,  am not on commission I promise but just adore the place!) .

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2024, 05:17:42 pm »
Polish done! Doesn't look too different in the pictures but much better in the metal. Have Mobile paint repair man coming out next week to look at the rust bubble on the rear arches and to look at the i3 bumper that some knob hit in tesco carpark. I have to rely on karma for that bit of justice. I cannot imagine hitting someone's car and just buggering off..maybe its just me.

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2024, 10:51:18 am »
Well...the dent man only wants to work on newish cars with no rust so that is on hold...have decided to treat myself/ Adolf to a Forge Twintercooler, currently hiding it from the wife as she would kill me. Thinking is this is plenty good enough for what it is and current plans, but I can always add an S3 intercooler to improve should the need arise. I dunno, just felt gutted about the body repair quote and spent some of the money set aside...could have bought anything at that moment.  Probably a good thing it's small enough to hide and will make no visible difference to the car!

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2024, 04:52:11 pm »
So today is fitting day for the Foge Twintercooler and also going to adjust the coilovers a bit...too many pot holes around here and I am being forced back into work so gonna have to use it a bit more than I wad hoping to. The twintercooler is okay to fit but the cutting of the hoses is a bugger of a job to do! Wish they were pre cut to length ,that would have been lovely! Other than that it is a good opportunity to have a good clean under the car and have a poke about too ready for new tyres and a CV boot next week.

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2024, 12:02:20 pm »
Decided to give the front arch liners and under trays a proper good clean up while they were out and the car had a wash too. Just need to find front and rear alloy hubs, wishbones, better calipers, sort the rust, sort the curbed wheel, the headliner, and then I'll settle down a bit! Mk5 Golf= Forth bridge.

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2024, 11:49:17 am »
Yesterday was 4 new Pirelli tyres, the cam follower ( came out looking like new anyway apparently) and a bearing too courtesy of Fastfit in Cheshunt. Can't do tyres myself, bad enough on the mountain bike let alone a car and while they had it a few niggles ticked off the list too.