Make a donation

Author Topic: De-spec’ing my radio  (Read 1672 times)

Offline GilesWoodward59

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
De-spec’ing my radio
« on: June 16, 2022, 10:17:55 pm »
The PO of my Eddy put in a frankly awful Kenwood Radio which I find impossible to use and IMHO looks pretty out of place in the otherwise standard interior:

I’ve just brought a good condition original off fleabay for a bargain price:

Is there anything specific I should watch out for when putting the original back in? I ask because most “how to” guides focus on an upgrade, not a downgrade!

Thanks…
Edition 30 - No. 1233

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: De-spec’ing my radio
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 11:45:30 am »
Nope, providing the wiring harness and stereo/climate panel haven't been mangled by the PO.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline mjmallia

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 12:18:08 pm »
and you have the 4 digit security code for it.
Mike

South Coast

S3 8L ---- Golf Mk4 GT TDI ---- Lupo GTI ----  A4 B6 Sline ---- Golf Mk5 GTI

Offline GilesWoodward59

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 04:45:30 pm »
Thanks both, sounds reassuringly simple then provided the wiring harness hasn’t been butchered. I’ll post an update once it arrives and I have a go at fitting. And, yes, radio code essential!!
Edition 30 - No. 1233

Offline GilesWoodward59

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2022, 08:44:29 pm »
Bit of a thread revival… finally got round to fitting the RCD300 back into my car. First one I purchased off eBay never turned up. Bloke kept saying “yes I’ll post it then never did”… can’t understand ppl like that on eBay… So, got my money back and then bought another one. This time it arrived in good condition but with no radio code.

Got a code from www.onlineradiocodes.co.uk (which worked fine) and then stripped the dash down. Also took the opportunity to fit a Bluetooth dongle into the CD port which works really well with excellent sound quality and very easy pairing.

PO hadn’t butchered the wiring loom although I did get confused by  an old iPod aux connection:

Tried to remove it but it was well and truly integrated with the loom, must have been a factory option.

Trickiest bit of the job was putting the dash vent back in without breaking off all the tabs.

Finally, sold the Kenwood radio on eBay (amazing amount of interest) and basically covered my costs in putting the RCD300 and Bluetooth dongle in. Success!

Edition 30 - No. 1233