Make a donation

Author Topic: 08 Mk5 RCD300 upgrade help!  (Read 1780 times)

Offline justanerd

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
08 Mk5 RCD300 upgrade help!
« on: July 24, 2022, 07:16:04 pm »
hey there,

i've been lurking around the forums the last few days and trying to figure out which option is best and i think i just need to make a thread and ask because i am definitely out of my depth here and don't want to mess anything up for my partner's car!

so we have a rcd 300 in an 08 mk5 diesel golf tdi hatchback. originally i was just looking to add bluetooth, but since there's no easy way to do that without fully removing the head unit I figure I might as well just spend the extra and get some cool features like satnav and all that android powered car magic i've seen.

im looking to try and keep this under £150 if I can (cars have a bad habit of breaking on us and I'd be gutted if we spent a load on this only for that to happen in a year anyway!) and so what I need to know is what the best option here is? I'm not particularly fussed about making it look OEM or anything like that and the steering wheel controls are a nice to have but not something i'm holding out hope for. I do not know what a canbus is or how to replace one if I need to, so if I can avoid that? Super! If not it would be amazing to have a link to exactly what I need to buy and then do.

im sure you get this kind of question all the time so ahead of time thank you for your patience with people like me who swing by to ask you the same questions every few weeks!

Offline adamvaughan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
Re: 08 Mk5 RCD300 upgrade help!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2022, 08:33:22 am »
Have a look at Xtrons head units. They do a whole range for the mk5 and I think you could get one (maybe an slightly older model, but still with CarPlaY) for around £150. One was fitted to a car I bough and apart from it not having a volume knob (personal preference) I think it sounds good and it's been fairly reliable.