Make a donation

Author Topic: No speed limit on UK motorways?  (Read 2998 times)

Offline LC5F

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 79
No speed limit on UK motorways?
« on: September 03, 2022, 07:13:08 pm »
So, if old pork markets in china becomes PM, she is thinking of binning the speed limit on UK motorways:
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/358706/liz-truss-could-axe-mandatory-motorway-speed-limits-pm

Suspect if she does become the next pm it wont happen, but maybe it could open up a more sensible speed limit to suit modern cars
- what do you think?

If she is successful on Monday, just never forget:

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=2n41h2mr9jgpr7aeq63rgtfrc7&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: No speed limit on UK motorways?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2022, 07:34:22 pm »
Hard one. Think it's one thing never having speed limits and it's another removing them. I wouldn't trust half the people I see on the road frankly. I loved driving in Germany, it was a pleasure and 70 mph is actually quite slow really but still it's other road users that terrify me :grin: maybe if our driving tests were far stricter as well as mot's like they are in Germany and Finland and then the standard of driving and cars condition would be higher so less risk over time.

80mph road limit I think is sensible though, 90-100 possibly up for debate. In reality though I reckon this is Bullsh*t haha :grin:

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 08:56:27 pm »
Yes - the UK driving test for driving skill has been watered down considerably- instead of being standard, the emergency stop it now "you may be asked to do an emergency stop".
But the flip side is at least now they have some motorway training - in my day there was nothing.

I am just back for Spain, bizarrely they are much better behaved on motor way than UK, always pulling back into the slow lane only weirdness tends to be people on their phone - taxi driver driving while using 2 phones! Off the motorway is completely different story though....suspect they think Jesus is their co-pilot.

Suspect it will be one of those easily forgotten items like the lie of "funding the NHS with the money we paid Brussels"!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2022, 09:48:15 am »
Lol, Politicians always come up with ridiculous schemes like this when they want your votes, but once they're in, they waste £Ms of tax payers' money doing basically jack schitt like all other PMs before them, then blame their incompetence and failure on other people!

I think it's about time the Eton old guard were all hauled out in favour of people who actually know what it's like to struggle financially.

As for the speed limits, it'll never happen as people can't be trusted to behave.  Look at the UK driving standards vs Europe! Why would anyone in their right mind give all these village idiots a higher speed limit??!  UK motorists have awful attitudes and do things to others out of spite because they can't handle even the tiniest of motoring infractions.

If anything, it will get like America with even lower speed limits, because they are equally angry, aggressive and childish.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 09:49:50 am by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline titchy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 08:45:15 pm »
friend had his test 2 weeks ago passed, no hill start no reverse no 3 point turn whats the point

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 37
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2022, 06:49:48 pm »
friend had his test 2 weeks ago passed, no hill start no reverse no 3 point turn whats the point
Now the law says hes qualified to drive at 70mph on the motorway  :stupid:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2022, 02:59:06 pm »
Now the law says hes qualified to drive at 70mph on the motorway  :stupid:

Yep, and unsurprisingly, motorway accidents are on the rise because of it.  They might as well just get rid of the white "give you way you utter f'cktard" lines separating the lanes, because no one gives a toss about them anymore.  Yeah I'll just stick my indicator on, which = MY right of way, obvs, and pull in front of this dude forcing him to brake.  Utter tw@ts.

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 02:46:57 pm »
What a difference 1.5 months makes!
Hopefully, Truss will be out the door this week.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 03:09:47 pm »
She is already gone. Resigned a couple of hours ago  :happy2:

Offline LC5F

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2022, 08:38:13 pm »
She is already gone. Resigned a couple of hours ago  :happy2:

Yes - found that out 2 minutes after posting! - good news indeed!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2022, 10:47:52 am »
I'm not sure Rishi Anorak will be much better, but I don't think he's quite as impressively inept as Truss though.