Make a donation

Author Topic: Loud Idle When Hot  (Read 865 times)

Offline rob06gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Loud Idle When Hot
« on: October 23, 2022, 06:53:23 am »
Hi All, Thanks for helping someone from downunder.

I have an Unitronic Stage 1 06 MKV GTI with 150,000 kms on it. Only mod is an intake. About 10k ago I had the dreaded oil pressure warning about 1k from home so I got it back quickly and fixed the problem by cleaning out the pickup. Since then I have had a very loud idle when the engine heats up. It's weird, sometimes it is loud all the time, other times it will be loud for 30 seconds then fine again.

First thought it was the chain tensioner so replaced that, no change. VVT solenoid was burnt and giving weird reading on multimeter so replaced that - still no change. Then replaced the oil control rings in the cam chain housing, still nothing. I've been through all the adaptations in VCDS and read all the measuring blocks and can't find something that points to why the rattle comes on at certain times. No fault codes to help either!

This afternoon I used the screwdriver method to find the origin of the noise, the HPFP is the loudest source of the noise but the same noise can be heard from the cam chain housing. Pulled the HPFP and follower (changed around 120,000k). Both look ok to me but do you mind checking to see if I have missed anything? Video attached of the noise too.

https://imgur.com/a/hMe2r4F