Make a donation

Author Topic: Powerflex Bushes  (Read 1497 times)

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Powerflex Bushes
« on: January 04, 2023, 02:33:22 pm »
Hi guys,
Just had a question about which bushings to select. I own a 07 VW Golf MK5 GTI.

The issue is that there are multiple parts that appear to be for the same diagram reference but are different sizes. They both come underneath the parts for my car. For example, you have front anti-roll bar bushes that are 22.5, 23.6 and 24mm.

How am I supposed to know which one to select?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Offline Dan_FR

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 132
  • -Receive: 189
  • wait...what?
    • Email
Re: Powerflex Bushes
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 09:09:43 pm »
You'll need to get under the car and measure the diameter of the roll bar. Mine on my Leon FR are 23.6mm
TFSI... Revo Stage 2+... . WMI.... VCDS HEX + CAN, MPPS, VAG Commander & VAG tacho - South Wales

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 09:34:38 pm »
Ahhh, I suspected I’d hear this.

Thanks for that.

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 06:36:53 pm »
I replaced front and rear bushes and just Googled it. Plenty of places, including on this site, will give you the sizes of the standard ARBs. All MK5 GTIs were the same I am pretty sure.

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 06:44:26 pm »
EDIT: The quoted rear part is wrong! Apologies, please see lower in the thread.

Rear is 21.7mm PFR85-815
Front is 23.6mm PFF85-503

I like this upgrade as a way of adding roll stiffness without needing lower springs.

Be aware that you may have issues with the bracket on the rear. In my case I had to chisel off the captive nuts and replace with regular nuts.

For the front I am pretty sure you need to remove the subframe (I did) so not that straightforward. Consider doing at the same time as other work like lower engine mount or subframe collars.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2023, 08:36:33 pm by breeze »

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2023, 01:51:35 pm »
Thanks alot, much appreciated.

I was wondering if you knew where I could find sizes of other bushes such as control arm bushes.

Many Thanks

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2023, 02:19:06 pm »
Rear is 21.7mm PFR85-815

I like this upgrade as a way of adding roll stiffness without needing lower springs.

Be aware that you may have issues with the bracket on the rear. In my case I had to chisel off the captive nuts and replace with regular nuts.

For the front I am pretty sure you need to remove the subframe (I did) so not that straightforward. Consider doing at the same time as other work like lower engine mount or subframe collars.

I have just had a look at the ones you linked, PFR85-815, it seems that they are for Seat Leon mk3, the PFR85-515 is apparently the 21.7mm size for mk5 gti.

Offline breeze

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 08:34:42 pm »
Rear is 21.7mm PFR85-815

I have just had a look at the ones you linked, PFR85-815, it seems that they are for Seat Leon mk3, the PFR85-515 is apparently the 21.7mm size for mk5 gti.

You are absolutely right - apologies. I definitely have that part fitted, just checked the email from eBay. They seem to work fine but I would definitely take the 515 part if doing it again.

Offline fsgti

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 09:20:12 pm »
Rear is 21.7mm PFR85-815

You are absolutely right - apologies. I definitely have that part fitted, just checked the email from eBay. They seem to work fine but I would definitely take the 515 part if doing it again.

Thank you!