Make a donation

Author Topic: P2004 fault code intake manifold flap stuck open bank 1  (Read 291 times)

Offline Brodriguez

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
P2004 fault code intake manifold flap stuck open bank 1
« on: February 16, 2023, 09:47:28 am »
Hi guys new to the forum and after some help. I've searched and can't find details that relate exactly to my situation.

So the other day I noticed my car (mk5 gt sport with the 1.4 tsi petrol engine, no mods) had little to no boost at low rpm when the supercharger is active. I have since notice the boost will occasionally rise partially then fall to nothing soon after. I felt surging response from the throttle but no other sounds or smoke etc. It did ping a little when I tried slightly heavier acceleration in 1st so have been driving like a grandma ever since.
When scanned the only fault code was p2004 intake runner flap stuck open. I am located in a remote area with no access to a vw workshop so am trying to resolve the issue with the local mobile mech who has been really helpful.
After speaking to vw workshops over the phone and going through diagrams they have sent I can see that the runner flaps are part of the lower intake manifold labeled part 2 in the diagram provided. What I can't pin down is what is responsible for controlling the flaps? There is a vacuum unit and a potentiometer but I can't see any actuator in the diagram. Does anyone have experience with this and advice on which components should be ordered for replacement? Do I just need to start with the lower manifold section with the flaps inside or is there something else which is likely responsible? Carbon build up jamming the flaps etc.?
I am going to have to order genuine vw parts at top dollar so want to make sure I've got all the info before I order. Really appreciate any help here.
Cheers Brodie