Make a donation

Author Topic: Duelsy's MK5 GTI - Project thread  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Duelsy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Duelsy's MK5 GTI - Project thread
« on: April 02, 2023, 09:07:12 pm »
Hi all,

I recently sold my Audi RS4 B8, as my partner and I are looking to begin saving money for a house etc. I spent a while trying to figure out what I could purchase that was fun, practical, relatively cheap and I could do a few bits and pieces to. I settled on a MK5 GTI  :smiley:. I'd never actually owned one when I was younger, I had a MK4 but after that switched to Ford's - Fiesta ST MK5, Fiesta ST MK6 & a Focus RS MK3, before switching to the Audi. I'd always heard rave review about the GTI MK5 for years.

I managed to find a one owner from new 115K car that was in good shape, bit of wear of tear on the bodywork but the interior was mint, as the previous owner had replaced it with a MK6 interior not long before selling it. I had to have the seats wired in at VAGTECH but didn't cost much and now all works nicely. I've ended up enjoying the car enough that I decided I would do some mods to it, more that I originally anticipated as is always the case lol :happy2:. Plan is to keep this as my daily until we have the house etc, then it will become my track car when I buy my next daily. Car handles really well and considering its age and mileage is solid, couple different garages have commented on how well the previous owner kept on top off services etc, fortunate to find a decent example relatively quickly.  :smiley:

Few pics of the car as I bought it - already had a custom catback exhaust on it already from previous owner, I believe from Tony Banks in Leeds, which is in bad need of a polish up:

Mods so far:
AKS Tuning Revo 80mm Air Intake
Roof wrapped in gloss black - Came out great and was one of the panels most in need of TLC, so well worth it
Wing mirrors wrapped gloss black
Smoked wing mirror indicators
Gloss black shark fin aerial
New Headunit with car play & DAB etc - SONY XAV-AX3005DB
Fully poly bushed
H&R Lowering Springs (was going to go for coilovers but roads my way are awful and the dampers etc on the car are still fine)
New steering wheel from Royal Steering Wheels
Climair Wind Deflectors
Rear windows tinted
New Michelin PS5's all round (seem decent so far) - Wanted PS4s, as I've run them for years but nowhere round here could source them in the right size for a reasonable price.
R-Tech - Pre-cat removed, injectors cleaned, engine carbon cleaned and Stage 1 map - Was really happy with the results and the service from their team, very knowledgeable, would recommend to all.

Other mods waiting install:
R32 Rear smoked/Dark red lights - Awaiting a replacement part for these as arrived damaged unfortunately but will look great
New set of Hella headlights - New bulbs all round for them, including LED side lights and indicators
HID kit for Hella's from XenonsOnline - Nice kit, with modified holders etc but sheesh this is a **** to fit! Hence, haven't finished install yet.
New number plates on order
Gloss front Grill

Other plans:
Paint exterior front plastics gloss black e.g. fogs etc
Address a couple of spots of rust in normal places - Small bit on tailgate around badge and small patch on rear quarter arches near where they meet the bumper
Polish and seal remaining bodywork (will do myself)
Interior detail and engine bay detail - Got some nice covers etc to add to the engine bay once done
New number plates
New front brake kit, haven't decided which yet
R8 Coil packs
Alloys refurbed once winter is over - I have the 18" Monza's, I want to get them done in a subtle Shadow Bronze that I had my Focus RS wheels done in (it was the bright blue paint work), looked sweet and think it will suit this blue too
Potentially add a TRC splitter, haven't decided yet

Few picture of car as it currently sits:

Don't have any of the steering wheel, head unit or interior etc but will upload some at a later date. :happy2:

You can see how bad the current lights are in this image, can't wait to get the Hella's installed!

The ongoing HID install:

Checking the original bulbs fit into the Hella's whilst I was struggling with the HID install! All fits perfectly, so just need to persevere a bit more with the HID's. This is the only tricky bulb with the modified connector, all others plug and play as normal.

This is the troublesome holder - I contacted the seller to check it was correct as there were a couple different ones listed on their website (this one came as part of a kit). They said it is, so as I say, just need to keep working away. Due to the modifications on the holder to take the HID etc there's very little land to grab hold of to twist it into place, especially whilst keeping the HID (metal base) seated properly.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 09:16:16 pm by Duelsy »

Offline Duelsy

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Duelsy's MK5 GTI - Project thread
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 09:28:18 pm »
So got the lights installed over the weekend, along with a new grill and the R32 smoked rear lights. Honestly, the roof wrap and those mods have really uplifted the car, it looks so fresh for something with 120k miles on. Really pleased.  :happy2:

May do a couple of additional mods to help me put the power down better now. Even with just a stage 1 you can feel a fair bit of wheel spin if you don't feather the throttle on gently. A lot of fun regardless, but I'd like to be able to put a little more down a little more aggressively haha. I've been spoiled by the RS and RS4 4 wheel drive. The GTI has definitely rekindled my love for hot hatches though, not that it ever left but had been a few years since selling the Focus RS. Amazing what such a small package can do. Very impressed with the chassis on the MK5, solid car.

I tested the HID's, they're ok, not worth the hassle though IMO. I have actually removed them and just put Osram NB's in. Beam pattern is better and honestly, almost as much light (and I tried 2 types of HID's). Got some new plates coming too, for now just running with the old tired ones.

Engine bay (needs a wash and detail before any vanity covers go on):

Car with bumper off and one light hanging in to show difference:

Side by side:

All back together with new grill and lights in:

R32 rear smoked lights (2nd hand OEM):

Also did a pikey fix on a split washer line: