Make a donation

Author Topic: EDDY - Oil in water expansion tank ? Help/advice please  (Read 691 times)

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
EDDY - Oil in water expansion tank ? Help/advice please
« on: February 11, 2023, 12:46:47 pm »
Hi all
Ive noticed recently that my 2008 Eddy (DSG) has got a thin layer of oil floating on top of the water in the expansion tank!
i have been checking my dipstick and the oil level is all good and no signs of water/mayo on the dipstick..  (i do however have a bit of mayo/condensation under oil filler cap) not alot though!
it has not overheated, temp gauge sticks at 90, and fans work as they should.  DSG gears are changing smoothly and no hesitation etc. Not sure if it makes a difference, but the car is stage 2+ with pcv delete and all other supporting mods.

i have taken it to a garage who initially thought it was gearbox oil cooler, so he says he bypassed the cooler to check for any leaks and there was no leaks from cooler, also says he managed to take 1 pipe off from engine cooler which also had no leaks.
he said he also done a sniff test? or whatever its called Lol  :signLOL: where the liquid changes colour if its the head gasket ! and that also passed the test !

so he's at a bit of a loss and im a confused and worried Eddy owner Lol.

the car starts and drives perfect, with no missing/rough idle etc etc..   Not sure where this layer of oil is coming from?    what should my next step be guys?

Offline blingsta

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
Re: EDDY - Oil in water expansion tank ? Help/advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 02:19:10 pm »
just to close this topic -

i figured out what the problem was.   my dsg oil cooler was leaking fluid that was travelling into the water system.   

oil cooler changed ,  cooling system flushed -  voila !!  :jumpmove:

job done  :driver:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 675
Re: EDDY - Oil in water expansion tank ? Help/advice please
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2023, 06:47:36 pm »
A nice simple fix then  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D