Make a donation

Author Topic: Interior/exterior temp sensors  (Read 691 times)

Offline ksamyui

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Interior/exterior temp sensors
« on: April 17, 2023, 02:08:14 pm »
Can someone give me the locations of ALL the temp sensors that affect the climate control?

Bought a 2005 5 door GTI Last winter. Now the temp is rising, I can see the air con works on the Lo setting, but anything above this and the car soon gets too hot.

I get no errors on HVAC with VCDS, but I’m wondering if some of the sensors have been mounted badly/left dangling in the past and are reading inaccurate temps.

So far I’ve heard there’s sensors in:
Dash left and right (accessible behind the two pull off panels at each end of the dash
Footwell (no idea where)
Sun sensor (no idea where)

The search isn’t working right now so apologies if this has already been covered.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
Re: Interior/exterior temp sensors
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 08:30:02 pm »
Yep, they are in the upper heater vents and footwells for the dual zone climate control.

You also have the ambient sensor in the grille near the passenger front fog light as an external reference point. It compares that with the interior readings to manage the temperature.

Sun sensor is part of the Rain/light sensor in the rear view, just behind the 'gel pack'.

What do the sensors read in VCDS vs a basic £5 thermometer in the cabin?

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline ksamyui

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Interior/exterior temp sensors
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 08:44:28 pm »
Yep, they are in the upper heater vents and footwells for the dual zone climate control.

You also have the ambient sensor in the grille near the passenger front fog light as an external reference point. It compares that with the interior readings to manage the temperature.

Sun sensor is part of the Rain/light sensor in the rear view, just behind the 'gel pack'.

What do the sensors read in VCDS vs a basic £5 thermometer in the cabin?

Thanks for that. Car’s had a new bumper so will check that sensor was refitted/plugged back in
I’m going to try the temp comparison this weekend again. Last time I did it was winter and I didn’t have a separate thermometer.