Make a donation

Author Topic: Rear end creaking noises on track.  (Read 332 times)

Offline SwedeGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Rear end creaking noises on track.
« on: May 22, 2023, 12:47:31 pm »
Hello and thanks for letting me in!

My GTI MK5 Ed30 is making weird creaking noises coming from the rear end when cornering hard, specially on track. It sounds like an old mattress.
I did inspect the rear end and everything looks solid, I added some WD40 to the rear sway bushes and raised the back a bit but the sound is still there.
Any idea what this can be? Is this the rear subframe coming loose?
The car has got Stage 2, Koni coilovers, LSD Quaife and 19" wheels.
I managed to put together a video where the sound can be heard and posted it on Youtube.

I add a picture of the car just to drag attention.  :smiley:

« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 01:07:08 pm by SwedeGTI »

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=d8pcparkpsd4559lde8jhk99k4&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Rear end creaking noises on track.
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2023, 06:40:37 pm »
Could be dead oem bushes it looks like it's mid turn when the suspension is at its most compressed so at that point check things like rear sway bar, springs, dampers, control arm bolts and bump stops.

It does sound very twisting/creaking sort of noise like a sway bar though so if you're on circuit again soon or you can recreate it on the road then go and get it to make the noise, then come in and disconnect the rear sway bar link and see if it happens again, then you can at least blame or disregard the sway bar in a matte rof minutes. It's not dangerous to disconnect it you'll just get a roll-ey rear end and some understeer most likely, couple laps should be enough to prove the theory.