Make a donation

Author Topic: Hey I'm new  (Read 2031 times)

Offline Onethreelee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Hey I'm new
« on: June 15, 2023, 05:48:59 pm »
Hi I'm Lee I own a mk5 gti graphite blue want a few styling mods and a bit more power
From uxbridge middlesex are.
If your local say hi.

Offline Stu9

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
Re: Hey I'm new
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2023, 06:16:10 pm »
It really is odd that on new forums they expect you to introduce yourself etc and when you do the majority of folk look but don't even reply. Sorry but I think it's just ignorant especially this one with 362 views and nobody could say welcome etc, that's bad.

I know I'm new too and maybe saying this isn't a good start but I'm just being straight to the point.

Yes it's a very helpful knowledgeable place but this part of it leaves a lot to be desired.

Offline Onethreelee

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2023, 06:20:06 pm »
Well welcome to the group to pal.
I know what you mean but yet if I had posted a help topic and not introduced myself I would of had 300+ replies telling me off lol.

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 37
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2023, 09:35:55 pm »
RTECH for tuning :happy2:

Offline Stu9

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2023, 10:25:53 pm »
Well welcome to the group to pal.
I know what you mean but yet if I had posted a help topic and not introduced myself I would of had 300+ replies telling me off lol.

I see you're new too, i also bloody hate this "pal" crap sorry but i do..

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2023, 04:46:49 pm »
It really is odd that on new forums they expect you to introduce yourself etc and when you do the majority of folk look but don't even reply. Sorry but I think it's just ignorant especially this one with 362 views and nobody could say welcome etc, that's bad.

I know I'm new too and maybe saying this isn't a good start but I'm just being straight to the point.

Yes it's a very helpful knowledgeable place but this part of it leaves a lot to be desired.
Unfortunately some members don't leave comments

Offline OllieVRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2023, 09:31:20 am »
A lot of people just passively browse this forum, or 'lurking'. I'd say most of those views are from people who don't even have accounts on here.

I'm rarely on any other part of the forum other than MK5 General Area and occasionally Troubleshooting and DIY (I posted a DIY on there) so I assume I'm like most members who only checkout the topics they're interested in. That's why sections of the website like New Member Intro's get forgotten about.

But welcome to the forum nonetheless!
'06 Skoda Octavia vRS TFSI

Offline colesey

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2023, 03:54:30 pm »
@Onethreelee - I wouldn’t take it personally, it’s simply that these cars are rather old now and interest in the forum has become more passive. Most of the maintenance issues and tuning approaches are well known and recorded here, with few new parts being developed any longer.

If you want to upgrade your car, I would suggest a pre-cat delete / stage one map from RTec and better suspension/brakes/tyres. Keep everything balanced and deal with some maintenance issues at the same time.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2023, 11:49:15 pm »
Yeah don't take it personally.

I'm on here every day approving newbies first posts, and I don't even own a GTI anymore  :grin: 

New memberships are always welcomed and appreciated but personally speaking, I just don't have the time to meet and greet every new member, not that I am a celebrity or anything, but I have to sift through bots attempting to clutter the forum with inane dogsh*t no one cares about, so occasionally genuine folk saying hi can get missed.

It's not that we're unwelcoming, and we don't scold people for diving straight into questions without an introduction first either. This is the most relaxed forum I've ever used. If you want drama, miserable old barstewardss, doom and gloom and stern bollockings for asking a repeated question....visit PistonHeads  :grin:

Unfortunately forums aren't what they used to be. All the old regular contributors have either moved on to a different car, or moved onto facebook groups, which are more active because phones have replaced sitting in front of a keyboard and screen. 

You may not get a quick answer or the red carpet laid out, but what you will get is many years of collective experience and advice, so hang in there, and don't say things like "I hate pal" to someone merely being friendly, as that buys you a first class ticket to Ignoredsville.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 11:52:55 pm by Pudding »

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D