Make a donation

Author Topic: Mark’s Edition 30  (Read 2644 times)

Offline Jagdevgti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Mark’s Edition 30
« on: June 21, 2023, 12:19:21 am »
Hello guys and gals I’m a new member on here but have owned my edition 30 2 years this month
It’s been my daily runner and I’ve loved every one of the 13k miles I’ve put on it in that time!

Its bog standard, all I’ve done is service it a few times but I’m now thinking of lightly modifying it, giving the underside a bit of a tidy up and maybe doing a few track days

I run a company that builds & tunes Cosworth’s and I own a 450bhp Saph so I’m pretty clued up on older stuff, however not so on newer stuff… any recommendations on parts/brands etc will be greatly appreciated

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=4bjip7gah4hofa0qfsbq4eipl6&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Mark’s Edition 30
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 08:51:06 am »
If it were me for a daily with a couple track days...
Bc coilovers as they're reliable, can be set soft for road, adjustable top mounts to set a more aggressive amount of camber up and bump/droop is adjustable
Go full Super pro bushes all around
The new ad09 tyres are meant to be great for road and track.
These are heavy so a bbk is ideal, a Ttrs or megane 3rs caliper is a good choice
If running big power or planning to then a diff would be an advantage, quaiffe is good, wavetrac is better
To finish it off set a good alignment up and corner weight,  2-3 degrees camber up front with 0.5 less camber on rear and running 1mm toe out on front and 0 toe on rear would handle great but shouldn't see rediculous tyre wear either on the road.

You can go much further of course but that would make a very fast mk5 that has good pace on circuit too and that's how I would do it personally. If you are sensitive to ride quality you may want to stick to rubber bushes all around but if they're original I can guarantee they are all dead pretty much so at least worth getting new ones.

If you have a nice fat budget though then Ohlins coilovers would be awesome.

Offline Jagdevgti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2023, 11:09:26 am »
If it were me for a daily with a couple track days...
Bc coilovers as they're reliable, can be set soft for road, adjustable top mounts to set a more aggressive amount of camber up and bump/droop is adjustable
Go full Super pro bushes all around
The new ad09 tyres are meant to be great for road and track.
These are heavy so a bbk is ideal, a Ttrs or megane 3rs caliper is a good choice
If running big power or planning to then a diff would be an advantage, quaiffe is good, wavetrac is better
To finish it off set a good alignment up and corner weight,  2-3 degrees camber up front with 0.5 less camber on rear and running 1mm toe out on front and 0 toe on rear would handle great but shouldn't see rediculous tyre wear either on the road.

You can go much further of course but that would make a very fast mk5 that has good pace on circuit too and that's how I would do it personally. If you are sensitive to ride quality you may want to stick to rubber bushes all around but if they're original I can guarantee they are all dead pretty much so at least worth getting new ones.

If you have a nice fat budget though then Ohlins coilovers would be awesome.
Thanks for the reply,
I’ve been looking at the 18z brake conversion which I think is from the TTRS?
Power wise I’m hoping to be around the 330ish mark, do you think I’ll need a diff for that power?
Also regarding tuning, ideally I’d like something I can map myself but I’m not sure if there’s any plug in stand alones for the mk5 gti?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline 09Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=4bjip7gah4hofa0qfsbq4eipl6&/topic,133619.0.html
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 12:45:25 am »
for around 330hp you will be looking at stage 2 as the ED30 has the KO4 turbo from the 6R and S3, the only thing you NEED is a down pipe for stage 2  i recommend BCS powervalve, miltek or tragslag. these all have a nice sound and are good quality, other things you may want when going stage 2 is an intake ( a bit noisy for a daily tho unless you like the sound also stututu) and some upgraded bushings, in terms of tunes there are heaps to choose from, Unitronic,revo,integrated engineering, apr all of these you can buy yourself and tune yourself with the correct OBD2 port you will need to buy along with the tune from your local dealer or online.
2009 Pirelli Edition Stage 2+

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 10:55:23 pm »
I'd be tempted to leave it as it is with just a simple Stage 1 tune. You can use the Cossies for track work  :happy2:

Decent standard ones are super rare these days and there's merit in keeping it that way enjoying it for what it is  :smiley:

I did all the Stage 1 and 2+ shenanigans to my ED30. Stage 1 was the sweet spot, Stage 2 and above just ruined it, but then again, I did 20K miles a year in it so over the top mods are more annoying in a daily versus a weekend only toy.

But if you can't control the modding itch but want something quick and reliable, this is what I would do:

Stage 1 map.
Ohlins Road & Track coilovers.
MK7 R front brakes.
MK6 R intercooler.
Chassis bush refresh.
Eibach ARBs.
Wavetrac Diff.

And that's it.  You'll have a quick car that can handle and stop.  The main weaknesses of a standard MK5 are it's suspension and lack of traction out of corners. The standard brakes are OK for road use if they're in good order, but are pretty much useless on track.

In terms of power, the difference between Stage 1 and 2, or 2+ isn't night/day. The latter just adds unnecessary stress to the engine and turbo for the comparatively small gains, not to mention cost as decent 2+ parts aren't cheap. Diminishing returns and all that. Stage 1 will bag you 290-300hp, which that engine can handle all day long. 2+ will bag you 340-350 reality check bhp. Ignore the 370hp nonsense. The turbo isn't capable of that.  Trust me, that additional 40-50hp isn't worth the turbo killing boost pressure, or the piston ring land breaking cylinder pressures.

Anyway, do this, do that lecturing.....it's your car at the end of the day and welcome to the fold  :smiley:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Jagdevgti

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2023, 04:59:44 pm »
I'd be tempted to leave it as it is with just a simple Stage 1 tune. You can use the Cossies for track work  :happy2:

Decent standard ones are super rare these days and there's merit in keeping it that way enjoying it for what it is  :smiley:

I did all the Stage 1 and 2+ shenanigans to my ED30. Stage 1 was the sweet spot, Stage 2 and above just ruined it, but then again, I did 20K miles a year in it so over the top mods are more annoying in a daily versus a weekend only toy.

But if you can't control the modding itch but want something quick and reliable, this is what I would do:

Stage 1 map.
Ohlins Road & Track coilovers.
MK7 R front brakes.
MK6 R intercooler.
Chassis bush refresh.
Eibach ARBs.
Wavetrac Diff.

And that's it.  You'll have a quick car that can handle and stop.  The main weaknesses of a standard MK5 are it's suspension and lack of traction out of corners. The standard brakes are OK for road use if they're in good order, but are pretty much useless on track.

In terms of power, the difference between Stage 1 and 2, or 2+ isn't night/day. The latter just adds unnecessary stress to the engine and turbo for the comparatively small gains, not to mention cost as decent 2+ parts aren't cheap. Diminishing returns and all that. Stage 1 will bag you 290-300hp, which that engine can handle all day long. 2+ will bag you 340-350 reality check bhp. Ignore the 370hp nonsense. The turbo isn't capable of that.  Trust me, that additional 40-50hp isn't worth the turbo killing boost pressure, or the piston ring land breaking cylinder pressures.

Anyway, do this, do that lecturing.....it's your car at the end of the day and welcome to the fold  :smiley:
Thanks for then input, I’ve just bought a set of MK6 Golf R front calipers, I believe the discs are 340mm and I’ll need a set of spacers?
Next on the list is a set of coilovers but I don’t think the budget will stretch to a set of Öhlins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk