Make a donation

Author Topic: Any help please? 2007 gti got a misfire on cylinder 2 at idle only!  (Read 1127 times)

Offline CMK5

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
My gti’s developed a misfire out of nowhere started the car up last week and it was misfiring but seemed to clear as the revs dropped down to normal drove  the car thinking all was ok which it seemed it was! Let it warm up like I always do as it went to come on boost and the eml started blinking and it was misfiring got it home scanned it had no eml on but codes for random misfire and p0302 misfire on cylinder two and p0441 which I’ve replaced both canister and n80 valve it goes away and comes back every couple of weeks not bothered it’s never caused and issue, Checked all plugs they looked ok nothing stood out about plug 2 compared the the rest put them back in and the car was fine until the following day it started straight up like always but was misfiring straight away cylinder two again! Swapped the coil to another made no difference then tried swapping the plug again no different both plugs and coils were new 1500 miles ago, it only seems to misfire now on idle not throwing a code but can be seen on cylinder 2 on misfire counter using vcds it does show the odd misfire across the other 3 cylinders individually but that’s very very rare! Cylinder 2  is showing a misfire constant at idle but it drives completely fine until I get home leave it to idle and within minutes the misfire on cylinder 2 is back but the whole time it’s being driven there’s nothing at all on the misfire counter? I was thinking a sh*t injector as it’s always showed a misfire on cylinder 2 since having new plugs and coils anyway but never triggered the eml and wasn’t constant you couldn’t even tell unless looking with vcds sometimes I’d question if the car was even running as it was so smooth! It doesn’t use anymore oil than it should doesn’t smoke at all and it always starts straight up doesn’t hesitate or struggle although it’s always sounded a bit lumpy on cold starts until the revs settle as normal then it’s fine! If it is an injector I’d be replacing all 4 with genuine and walnut blasting the intake valves whilst it’s apart I did check the spark plugs again today and plug 2 seemed to be little wet with fuel compared to the other 3!
Nearly forgot I do have a compression tester coming back tomorrow so I can check!

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,131272.0.html
Re: Any help please? 2007 gti got a misfire on cylinder 2 at idle only!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2023, 06:53:37 pm »
Classic bad injector signs on tfsi engines.

If you have ko3 I wouldn't replace all personally as it will be about £1000. I've switched out 3 on 3 separate occasions. I just buy a cheap used but "working" injector from a breaker as a spare and send all 5 to R Tech to be serviced for £100. It's going to be at least 8 or 9 injectors replaced like that before I'm worse off so that's how I'd prefer to do it personally but your choice how you want to do it. But yeah I'd put a small bet on that it is a dead injector, they do fail only on idle like you describe commonly.

Offline CMK5

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2023, 09:42:00 pm »
Cheers bud, by chance do you have the part number for the correct injector?  I know for a set of refurbished injectors which I’m unsure on yet, but when I was looking at new there was two different ones showing assuming one’s for ko4’s and the other for Ko3 but I could be completely wrong either way I don’t want to end up with the wrong ones

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2023, 09:44:50 pm »
Nope sorry. Try calling VW parts, Ive rung them a few times just to clarify a part number, they're always happy to help out.