Make a donation

Author Topic: New Member - Newly Purchased ED30  (Read 9206 times)

Offline Graney_ED30

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
New Member - Newly Purchased ED30
« on: August 17, 2023, 02:52:02 pm »
Hey All,

Been a while since I was on a forum but since I find myself back in a MK5 then I thought it best haha!

Managed to secure a pretty decent example last week after months of looking at them. Fairly tidy but a few jobs need doing as you’d expect for a 15 year old car but pretty happy with it to be honest.

Plans are to change the cam follower as a precaution as I’ve heard they are quite common to go - also needs a thermostat which it is booked in for, the rest will be to get the wheels refurbed, just got some new PS4’s on it which has sorted a wheel wobble that came on at about 70 (front left had a repair and was full of foam  :scared:)

I may get it mapped but it’s so original that I’m tempted not too - I also have my boot build from my old my 7.5 to fit but I’ll get to that in time!

Cheers for looking!
'78 MK1 Tintop 20VT - Alpine White
‘08 ED30 5dr DSG - Reflex Silver

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 37
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
Re: New Member - Newly Purchased ED30
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 07:14:50 pm »
black ones are nicer :grin:
Red ones are faster :popcornsoda:

Offline stevw1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 09:52:30 pm »
 Very nice, and clean. Welcome aboard

Offline GVK

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 62
    • GVKmotorsport
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2023, 05:47:10 pm »
Looks a great example  :happy2:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 12:48:00 pm »
Very clean indeed!  My door hinges certainly never got that treatment  :grin:

Lovely sub install, that's really nicely done  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Graney_ED30

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 10:05:44 am »
Cheers everyone - car is going good so far, got it booked in for a carbon clean and injector service next week. Nothing particularly wrong with it just thought it was worth doing since it is approaching 80k miles.

Hoping to get a new headunit sometime soon so I can get the audio in it - just having radio and CD is doing my nut in  :jumping:

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 01:21:31 pm »
Cheers everyone - car is going good so far, got it booked in for a carbon clean and injector service next week. Nothing particularly wrong with it just thought it was worth doing since it is approaching 80k miles.

Hoping to get a new headunit sometime soon so I can get the audio in it - just having radio and CD is doing my nut in  :jumping:

Car looks great, congrats. If you don't mind saying how much is it for a carbon clean & injector service? Been looking on the r-tech website but can't find pricing.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 09:25:03 pm »
Walnut blasting service was about £350 when I had it done at AKS Tuning back in 2018.  My injectors didn't need doing.

To be fair, at 130ish K at the time, the valves didn't look bad at all.  Just need good fuel and regular driving/heat to keep them clean. Well, not spotless obviously, but cleaner than they would be if just doing short journeys on supermarket fuel.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Graney_ED30

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2023, 08:40:25 pm »

Car looks great, congrats. If you don't mind saying how much is it for a carbon clean & injector service? Been looking on the r-tech website but can't find pricing.

Cheers, yeah loving it at the moment like! Nice to be back in a MK5, even coming from a mk7.5 this just feels nicer to drive and more connected.

I'm getting it done at a place local to me called decimal tenths, it's costing £375 if there's nowt wrong.....then I think they said £200 per injector if there's any faults with them that can't be repaired.

Will let you know of the outcome 🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

Offline Graney_ED30

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 09:24:07 pm »
Well, car has came back with its injectors serviced (there was actually nothing wrong with them)

This was also the result of the carbon clean:

I also had the thermostat changed as it was sticking and the car was not getting up to temperature - all sorted now

Thinking of getting it mapped at some point in the future but next on the cards will be a DSG service - it's had 3 according to the history but I wanna be sure so think it's the right thing to do.

Cosmetically the car needs a wheel refurb and the two rear tyres replaced, I've just fitted PS4's on the front so need to get them matched up but it's been an expensive month 😂

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2023, 06:29:33 am »
Results of that carbon clean look satisfying!

You could do the DSG service yourself to save £150-£200. Its basically a glorified oil change.

Offline Graney_ED30

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 09:39:13 pm »
Cheers mate....yeah it does look night and day doesn't it!

Yeah I had thought about doing it myself to save the coin.....it is just technically an oil and filter change.....but I would like to keep some stamps in the book and in total honesty I can't be arsed faffing on under the car on the drive when it's my daily 😂 - gone are the days of that haha!

Besides, I have the MK1 for tinkering with 😎

Offline Graney_ED30

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2023, 06:26:54 am »
Small update....after going from the mk7.5 to this, I was missing the connectivity for my phone to be able to listen to music and take calls and stuff.

So I thought I'd give one of the android head units a go, worth a punt at less than £100 - came with DAB and Apple CarPlay which is all I need really.

Managed to finally find some time to get it fitted yesterday and I must admit I'm quite happy with the fit and finish, I've put the USB connection into the arm rest where the original iPod connection is, hopefully going to 3D print a holder for the phone so it sits in there properly - and to be honest the interface is smoother than the £500+ Pioneer unit I used to have 😂

Also got a full set of PS4's fitted and replaced the front and rear badges as they were peeling and just didn't look right. I'm also after a rear ED30 badge if anyone has one or knows of the best place to source one, I've seen the ones on eBay but wasn't sure if they were just cheap copies, even though the price seems to suggest otherwise!

Next on the cars are some new front lower arms as the current ones are crusty as owt, then will also fit the ECS subframe spacer/bolt kit as there is some subframe knocking when doing slow manoeuvres
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 06:29:14 am by Graney_ED30 »

Offline Graney_ED30

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2023, 10:29:45 pm »
Another small little update, something that has been annoying me since I got it was the state of the Edition 30 plaque - it looked like this:

Bit of enamel paint and a steady hand it now looks like this:

It’s the little things that count  :grin:

I was planning to do the same to the rear external badge but it must be plastic as there is some weird sort of lacquer peel on it, will probably just grab a new one even though they are mental money for a little badge!

Unless anyone has any going spare

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2023, 07:48:54 pm »
Small update....after going from the mk7.5 to this, I was missing the connectivity for my phone to be able to listen to music and take calls and stuff.

So I thought I'd give one of the android head units a go, worth a punt at less than £100 - came with DAB and Apple CarPlay which is all I need really.

Managed to finally find some time to get it fitted yesterday and I must admit I'm quite happy with the fit and finish, I've put the USB connection into the arm rest where the original iPod connection is, hopefully going to 3D print a holder for the phone so it sits in there properly - and to be honest the interface is smoother than the £500+ Pioneer unit I used to have

Also got a full set of PS4's fitted and replaced the front and rear badges as they were peeling and just didn't look right. I'm also after a rear ED30 badge if anyone has one or knows of the best place to source one, I've seen the ones on eBay but wasn't sure if they were just cheap copies, even though the price seems to suggest otherwise!

Next on the cars are some new front lower arms as the current ones are crusty as owt, then will also fit the ECS subframe spacer/bolt kit as there is some subframe knocking when doing slow manoeuvres
Nice headunit. Where did you get that? I bought the RCD330 ages ago and for most things is absolutely fine for me but I hate that the usb cable sticks out the front. I upgraded my speakers and although I found the sound really crisp there was a lack of volume. I just installed a mini amp and that has made a huge difference with really strong sound and clarity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk