Make a donation

Author Topic: AXX Timing belt cover removal??!!  (Read 952 times)

Offline flabbymallow

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
AXX Timing belt cover removal??!!
« on: September 04, 2023, 01:38:46 pm »
First post on this forum so apologies for any missing information. I've gleaned what I should add from my years of reading posts on the forum though so hopefully wont miss anything major.

Today I finally bit the bullet and purchased a timing belt kit to replace the current one as I'm coming up on the service interval (118xxxkms currently).

My Mk5 is a 2005 with the AXX engine as far as I know. I've had some issues in the past with trying to follow guides as my engine is surprisingly different in places. The main difference with this process was the coolant line running in front of the timing belt cover is a hardline instead of the soft-line that I've seen in every guide. The other difference is that the car has the one piece timing cover instead of the two piece one. I've managed to get all the bolts out of the timing cover but seems like there's not enough space to remove the engine mount which the timing cover wraps around so has to come out. In videos with the newer style timing belt cover the engine mount is easier to remove because you can pull it up earlier because the cover is out of the way. Completely stumped as to how to continue, feels like either cut the timing belt cover in half with a dremel or drop the whole engine.  :thinking:

Can add images if the description is hard to follow, any help appreciated!

Offline dazza

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 190
  • Coding Boffin
    • Email
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=7ej3sleoetm6mi1sr1h4g91ud3&/topic,90967.msg917089.html#msg917089
Re: AXX Timing belt cover removal??!!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 06:09:08 pm »
It does come out without cutting. Jack the engine up left hand side of the mount came out first for me.

05 | Tornado Red | DSG

Offline flabbymallow

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2023, 03:53:16 am »
It does come out without cutting. Jack the engine up left hand side of the mount came out first for me.

How did you go about getting the mount out, did the left hand side come out and then you span it around because its getting stuck on the brake reservoir for me. Did you also have the coolant hardline in the way as this seems to be a major blocking point for trying to remove the mount.

Offline FJB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2023, 02:58:46 pm »
You have to jack the engine up, far more than you think you should. When I last did it, the mount was getting stuck on the ac pipes, I moved them as much as I could and used the jack and levered the engine, but it was extremely tight and just as much of a nightmare going back in. It is a really stupid cover design, and i guess that is why it was changed to a 2 piece.