Make a donation

Author Topic: New member with ed30!  (Read 9140 times)

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
New member with ed30!
« on: October 28, 2023, 12:43:45 pm »
Hi all,

I bought an ed30 a few weeks back with some decent mods on it and low mileage, 53,000 miles and 2 owners.B14 setup,big brake kit and s3 brakes on the back with ARB and superpro handling kit all round. Engine is stock for now but I am booked for remap with rtech.

Some photos:

Ttrs clutch is in, as well as a wavetrack LSD and I am booked to see rtech o the 13th of November for a stage 2 plus, airtech Intercooler is fitted as well as a full trackslag 3.5 inch to 3.0 inch full system with resonator.
Mods that I still have to do is rear seat delete with k brace, Coolerworx shifter needs fitting, boost gauge.These are all in boxes and waiting.

Future plans is to visit area motorsport for a full track setup with Verkline goodies, Nitron and camber arms etc.

Can someone guide me into wheels that are light and can take 255 front 235 back tyres?

Aleks

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 34
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8ip61lsrnjcaf2olam6ro2j5h2&/topic,131272.0.html
Re: New member with ed30!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 08:27:29 pm »
I like very much!

Jealous of the Verkline & Nitrons to come, you going full money pit verkline subframe(s) & control arm set or keeping to 1 or 2 pairs of arms?

if on budget (which sounds like you arent!) the TT 9J wheels will fit that kind of setup but if I were you I would go 2Forge, they're reasonably priced for what they are and there is a reason so many race teams (like Area Motorsport) are using them on all their race cars currently.

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 06:06:59 am »
Speaking to Rob at Area motorsport he has advised to go with verkline lower control arms and camber arms from hardrace plus some sverical bushes etc. I wanted to go with the anti squat verkline but he said they tested them and they are not doing much for £1000.
I want the subrframes as well at some point but they are another 2k which I think can wait after the nitron setup from rob.
Do you happen to know how much the tt wheels weigh?
I've been looking at bola 7.8kg each in 8.5j and et 45. Very good price.

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2023, 12:05:11 pm »
Managed to find some time today to fit everything I wanted in the back... Love the looks of it now and saved 37.7kg, happy days.. :laugh:

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8ip61lsrnjcaf2olam6ro2j5h2&/topic,131272.0.html
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 09:39:11 pm »
Speaking to Rob at Area motorsport he has advised to go with verkline lower control arms and camber arms from hardrace plus some sverical bushes etc. I wanted to go with the anti squat verkline but he said they tested them and they are not doing much for £1000.
I want the subrframes as well at some point but they are another 2k which I think can wait after the nitron setup from rob.

Darkside said the same thing about the anti squat bits, shame that, sounded an interesting idea. Umm the TT's will be heavy, I think the 7.5j golf ones are 11kg I think so the wide 9j TT ones I bet are more like 13 or so. Its what I'll probably stick on as I'll run multiple sets of wheels to keep costs down until I can justify the price for performance over other things.

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2023, 06:55:28 pm »

Darkside said the same thing about the anti squat bits, shame that, sounded an interesting idea. Umm the TT's will be heavy, I think the 7.5j golf ones are 11kg I think so the wide 9j TT ones I bet are more like 13 or so. Its what I'll probably stick on as I'll run multiple sets of wheels to keep costs down until I can justify the price for performance over other things.

Are you running track tyres? What power level... Speaking to rob he is suggesting a 255 front with 235 rear... That's awesome but expensive especially as I need new wheels as well 🫣...
I've got boost gauge installed but not wired yet 😬

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2023, 07:19:07 pm »
Yeah 20-30mm stagger is quite common. I run ar-1's 225 all around at the moment, production gti champ cars also have to run 225 all around and I think the TTcr cup do as well. Bigger fronts would be ideal but it's not like you're going to understeer everywhere without it. A good diff, a ton of front camber and some rear toe out will help the front grip great.

Depends on your budget really, remember Rob has a long list of race cars including Tcr cars so throwing 2k on a set of tyres is no big deal for them lot. If you're going to end up on that staggered setup but cant justify the cost in the best tyres e.g a052/direzza etc I would personally have a long think if its worth it compared to running the best tyres on a smaller or standard setup. But there is always the option of used tcr slicks (260mm) that are very cheap to buy, lots of mixed experiences on these, some people race on them and they do great where as others struggle to be as quick as the top semi slick roa legal tyres even.

I run 260bhp by the way with no diff currently, cage is planned for 2024 so diff will probably be the year after. It's too much power with an open diff really, I usually turn the power down to around 240 which is much more manageable.

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2023, 08:56:52 pm »
Yeah 20-30mm stagger is quite common. I run ar-1's 225 all around at the moment, production gti champ cars also have to run 225 all around and I think the TTcr cup do as well. Bigger fronts would be ideal but it's not like you're going to understeer everywhere without it. A good diff, a ton of front camber and some rear toe out will help the front grip great.

Depends on your budget really, remember Rob has a long list of race cars including Tcr cars so throwing 2k on a set of tyres is no big deal for them lot. If you're going to end up on that staggered setup but cant justify the cost in the best tyres e.g a052/direzza etc I would personally have a long think if its worth it compared to running the best tyres on a smaller or standard setup. But there is always the option of used tcr slicks (260mm) that are very cheap to buy, lots of mixed experiences on these, some people race on them and they do great where as others struggle to be as quick as the top semi slick roa legal tyres even.

I run 260bhp by the way with no diff currently, cage is planned for 2024 so diff will probably be the year after. It's too much power with an open diff really, I usually turn the power down to around 240 which is much more manageable.

I see your point, my car will be mapped on the 13th to stage 2 plus and it will hopefully be between 360 to 380 bhp with smooth power delivery from rtech. I have a wavetrack fitted and I think that should help the current grip is amazing but it's probably 240bhp with the added intake, 3.5inch downpipe and 3 inch system backed by the intercooler... So not much really to challenge the Michelin pilot 4 and the diff..
My thoughts have been to keep the 7.5 inch with Michelin pilot 4 and test the power and then decide if to go light 7.5 inch rim and 235 all round or go with staggered tyres on wider rim... :thinking:
I'm running b14 at the moment with superpro handling pack and arb which are fitted from previous owner and on the road it's good and neutral, I'm not sure how well the b14 are going to be on track and sticky tyres so looking to spend £3200 on area motorsport spec ed Nitron was the plan... 😎 plus the verkline LCA and hard race goodies which will then be as good as their race car setup... Hopefully 🤩
Snetterton is open on the 18th this month so hopefully I can make it an test the setup as is to give me some level of understanding of where to trow the funds towards 😁😄.
Would definitely want a set of rims for track use only so it's just a question of width cost and do I leave the b14 for a season and try them or move on to a complete setup from start 😱😂
What  coilover and setup are you running? Also some advice on seats would be great as well👌🏼

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 10:16:44 pm »

I see your point, my car will be mapped on the 13th to stage 2 plus and it will hopefully be between 360 to 380 bhp with smooth power delivery from rtech. I have a wavetrack fitted and I think that should help the current grip is amazing but it's probably 240bhp with the added intake, 3.5inch downpipe and 3 inch system backed by the intercooler... So not much really to challenge the Michelin pilot 4 and the diff..
My thoughts have been to keep the 7.5 inch with Michelin pilot 4 and test the power and then decide if to go light 7.5 inch rim and 235 all round or go with staggered tyres on wider rim... :thinking:
I'm running b14 at the moment with superpro handling pack and arb which are fitted from previous owner and on the road it's good and neutral, I'm not sure how well the b14 are going to be on track and sticky tyres so looking to spend £3200 on area motorsport spec ed Nitron was the plan... 😎 plus the verkline LCA and hard race goodies which will then be as good as their race car setup... Hopefully 🤩
Snetterton is open on the 18th this month so hopefully I can make it an test the setup as is to give me some level of understanding of where to trow the funds towards 😁😄.
Would definitely want a set of rims for track use only so it's just a question of width cost and do I leave the b14 for a season and try them or move on to a complete setup from start 😱😂
What  coilover and setup are you running? Also some advice on seats would be great as well👌🏼

Yeha depends how dedicated you are to the track work. The verkline front lower control arms will be awesome I bet, on a mcphearson strut car that extra stiffness, adjustability and track width will be a big plus for sure.

So I run full race Super pro bushes front and rear. Whiteline arb front and rear. TT front control arms. B14 coilovers all around like you but with custom springs and top mounts. The B14 are fine tbh, if you're running a stiff arb like you are they feel OK in the turns, but as they progressive springs on the brakes they can feel a little nose heavy as the weight transfer is not linear, but genuinely they are fine on track you won't be dissapointed at all, just don't expect to set a lap record. Put it this way with my car still at full oem wieght on ARB's, standard B14 setup and knackered rubber bushes I was still keeping up with 200bhp race cars so they're genuinely fine but your nitrons will be a big step up for sure.

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2023, 11:41:43 am »

Yeha depends how dedicated you are to the track work. The verkline front lower control arms will be awesome I bet, on a mcphearson strut car that extra stiffness, adjustability and track width will be a big plus for sure.

So I run full race Super pro bushes front and rear. Whiteline arb front and rear. TT front control arms. B14 coilovers all around like you but with custom springs and top mounts. The B14 are fine tbh, if you're running a stiff arb like you are they feel OK in the turns, but as they progressive springs on the brakes they can feel a little nose heavy as the weight transfer is not linear, but genuinely they are fine on track you won't be dissapointed at all, just don't expect to set a lap record. Put it this way with my car still at full oem wieght on ARB's, standard B14 setup and knackered rubber bushes I was still keeping up with 200bhp race cars so they're genuinely fine but your nitrons will be a big step up for sure.

Absorbing everything in, I've been reading your thread and it is interesting how much hassle you have been through for the suspension setup. I'm currently inclining to get the camber plates you have and get area motorsport to set everything up with the bilstein and hardrace/verkline goodies.
That's in December I hope and then for spring buy some ad09 and 255 235 staggered setup and run the car like this on some BOLA wheels
https://www.driftworks.com/bola-flc-18x8-5-et42-45-custom-pcd-matt-gunmetal-858c42mgmbwflc.html

They are 45 ofset so I'm hoping that 8.5 wide will clear,y brembo and will be OK with no spacers, they weigh 8.1kg which I think it's great for the price... :drinking:

Then I'll have to decide on seats and how to mount the harnesses 🙄😄

Offline Clarkj93

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2023, 12:04:19 am »
Nice! AD09 look great, I'm interested to know how good they are in wet and if they're as good as a sport road tyre. I would message gsm about your seat, excellent service you can literally just email them your waistline, height, car and purpose and they will tell you the best suited seats for you, plus you're supporting a family business.

Your wheels I imagine may foul in combination with your new verkline wishbones but I would not worry too much, you can bend trim the wheel liners and bend the arches quite easily. If they foul a lot then you can trim the arches and attach arch extensions, Area Motorsport would have done this hundreds of times if you're nervous of doing this yourself. Its nothing to worry about though, its just a panel of thin metal that can easily be modified or replaced for very reasonable costs.

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2023, 05:14:36 pm »
Nice! AD09 look great, I'm interested to know how good they are in wet and if they're as good as a sport road tyre. I would message gsm about your seat, excellent service you can literally just email them your waistline, height, car and purpose and they will tell you the best suited seats for you, plus you're supporting a family business.

Your wheels I imagine may foul in combination with your new verkline wishbones but I would not worry too much, you can bend trim the wheel liners and bend the arches quite easily. If they foul a lot then you can trim the arches and attach arch extensions, Area Motorsport would have done this hundreds of times if you're nervous of doing this yourself. Its nothing to worry about though, its just a panel of thin metal that can easily be modified or replaced for very reasonable costs.

Thanks for your reply regarding the m14 thread on the bilstein... I'll order the same camber plates as you have. Decided to keep the b14 and get area motorsport to fit everything else and set it up with these coilovers.

Speaking to rob about the 255 tyres on the front he reckons it will be fine on stock front wings with the setup he will be doing to the car... Once I've got wheels, seats and all setup I can decide if the b14's are really weak and upgrade to nitron later next year... 😬

I am in a really undecided position regards the seats and will call GSM... Always nice to support a family business.

Been out today and the clubsport seat delete done my heading with noises from all corners so took it back out and will carpet and sound deadening on the back to make it look decent.

Finished fitting the boost gauge and it's all set... Tuesday new steering rack and week Monday big rtech day for the injector,head and stage 2 plus treatment. Can't wait to see what 20 plus psi does to the car...  :mad:

Offline Aleksandar

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2023, 07:46:54 pm »

Long day today.... Been at R tech for flap delete, walnut blasting, 4 new injectors, hpfp and stage 2 plus tune...the car came with a test map where it run stock boost but fueling was way off... Don't know what that was...after all the work has been done the car is mapped to 378 bhp and 425 ft pounds.
Smooth linear power delivery and crisp throttle response... I'm in love with how quick it is and how well the limited diff is working 😈.

Can't wait for track day 🙃

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2023, 08:18:08 am »
Wow bet that's an absolute beast to drive. My mk5 is about 270 bhp and that's plenty fast enough for me!

Offline Mekaniko

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2023, 04:38:02 pm »
What a build, envy on your Wavetrack LSD I need it... And also a lot of other stuff

Any track plans for it?