Make a donation

Author Topic: Service Cost  (Read 2470 times)

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
Re: Service Cost
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2023, 01:00:35 pm »
Could be a good opportunity to learn some spannering skills?  It's really easy servicing these engines, and considerably cheaper doing it yourself, and the reassurance of knowing it's done right.  You don't need a mega tool kit, in fact I think Halfords are still doing 30% off workshop gear.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline GTI DAZ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
  • My Ride: Previous: Mk7.5 Fiesta ST, Current: None, future: MK5 GTI
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2023, 07:33:21 pm »
Could be a good opportunity to learn some spannering skills?  It's really easy servicing these engines, and considerably cheaper doing it yourself, and the reassurance of knowing it's done right.  You don't need a mega tool kit, in fact I think Halfords are still doing 30% off workshop gear.

very true, also black Friday sale soon, Halfrauds will have a decent tool kit with a good discount, will come with a lifetime warranty too.

i got mine in 2008 for about £350, never purchased a socket or spanner since :)

Offline PorkPieBandit

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2023, 12:15:35 pm »
Yep I think it might be worth doing it myself. I always have in the past but having a car I care about now I thought I'd get it done professionally and keep the service book looking nice.

I still might bite the bullet and get it done by a garage this time, nice to have some peace of mind and have a professional look over the car as it'll be the first service it's had since I've owned it. I think it might be back to doing it on the driveway after though!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2023, 11:06:40 pm »

very true, also black Friday sale soon, Halfrauds will have a decent tool kit with a good discount, will come with a lifetime warranty too.

i got mine in 2008 for about £350, never purchased a socket or spanner since :)

I've still got a Halfords professional socket set I bought over 20 years ago and it's still perfect. Really good tools  :happy2:  The good thing is they still sell replacement sockets and wrenches if you lose or break one. Can't say that about Chinese toolkits bought from Amazon  :grin:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2023, 11:08:16 pm »
Yep I think it might be worth doing it myself. I always have in the past but having a car I care about now I thought I'd get it done professionally and keep the service book looking nice.

I still might bite the bullet and get it done by a garage this time, nice to have some peace of mind and have a professional look over the car as it'll be the first service it's had since I've owned it. I think it might be back to doing it on the driveway after though!

I wouldn't overly concern yourself about service book stamps. Trust me, it makes very little difference when the time comes to move it on.

There's just too much sloppy workmanship about these days, so you have to be careful and find a decent garage.