Make a donation

Author Topic: Winter refresh  (Read 375 times)

Offline Mac666

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Winter refresh
« on: December 17, 2023, 05:04:05 pm »
Hi Everyone
I have a mk5 gti dsg with the AXX engine code on 150k and requiring a refresh. As I am opening up the bottom end to do the oil pump upgrade and only want to do it once I will replace the rods and pistons unless drop in rods are available for the trapezoid piston while the engine is out. There is no target figure for power  traction more important to me and reliability so probably no more than 350Bhp. At the moment I have a full 3” Jetex exhaust with 200 cell Jetex sports cat and down pipe.

I am looking for some info on a few things if someone point me in the right thread direction

1. Rods and pistons, is it possible or worthwhile changing the rods and pistons for the forged ones with the larger wrist pin

2. What rod/piston combination tend to be reliable in members engines and what not to touch with a barge pole

3. It may need oversize pistons due to miles any recommended machine shops to bore and hone the cylinders in the UK as I live in Scotland.

4. Should the rotational assembly be lightened and balanced, Can this be done with the dsg setup.

5. Evoms intake or i.e. engineering

It will need a light re-map once its all buttoned up any suggestions of threads on this, I have had Revo and APR setups before and was never really keen on them. In them days my 225 TT had a jabbasport remap I liked that one .

I will upgrade the turbo when I do the head and valve train along with the dsg clutch and diff.

Many thanks