Make a donation

Author Topic: A/C condenser and intercooler refresh  (Read 499 times)

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
A/C condenser and intercooler refresh
« on: January 07, 2024, 10:53:25 am »
Hi

The A/C condenser on my gti is pretty battered and has seen better days so I was planning on replacing it. Probably with a Denso or Nissens as they seem reasonable money.
While i'm in there I would also like to sort the leaky boost pipes on the intercooler so have been thinking about a dedicated performance intercooler which is £££'s.
Or perhaps the Nissens s3 alloy aftermarket replacement as a mild upgrade? which is a lot cheaper.
Has anyone used this? looking for info regarding quality/fitment and if there is any performance gain felt?
Ive searched the forum and looked at most of the i/c threads but cant find much regarding the aftermarket s3 i/c and if they are a worthwhile upgrade.
If I go to the trouble of getting a genuine S3 i/c then the cost rises closer to that of a dedicated performance kit, most of which come with a set of hoses too.

Thanks for your help  :smiley:

Offline welikeaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 15
Re: A/C condenser and intercooler refresh
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2024, 03:34:37 pm »
Unless you want to buy brand new, it might be worth looking for  2nd hand S3 intercooler with the metal ends. These can usual be picked up with the hoses for under £200 if you look in the right places. Try Wigan VAG parts on Facebook. He is a trusted seller and is always breaking S3s/ Edition 30s etc. If money isn't a problem and your tuning the car then look at Airtec, Revo, Apr etc.

For the rad pack i'd go with nissens. I picked one up from a repautalble ebay seller.

Offline G-olf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
Re: A/C condenser and intercooler refresh
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 04:09:14 pm »
Thanks, for your help  :happy2:

Would prefer a new one just because in theory then it should be good, but if there was something used from a trusted seller then I would consider it.

Looking for someone who's had experience with the nissens alloy s3 cooler at around £250 new if it works and fits well it could be a good option?