Make a donation

Author Topic: 18 inch Monza  (Read 539 times)

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
18 inch Monza
« on: February 08, 2024, 07:20:20 pm »
Hey, just managed to damage the lip on my refurbished Monza wheel...anyone any idea if I'll have to have the whole wheel redone or if it looks like a localised repair job. Am absolutely gutted...been so so careful till this. Also any recommendations in the Herts/Essex area to do it please. Thanks in advance all

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
Re: 18 inch Monza
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2024, 08:28:34 pm »
I just sanded it back then machine polished and then relaquered with spray can when I did mine. It’s not 100% but it is loads better and you can only really tell close up (see pic). You want to get it sorted before water gets under the rest of the lacquer and cause corrosion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2024, 08:40:13 pm »
I might give it a go..worst case I'll make sure its dry and ping some lacquer on there to protect it till a professional can take a lookski at it. Really appreciate the response @fakie1977 ! I have been so bloody careful with them and the wife's car was empty and I always have the Golf with a full tank so it went out instead...fml.

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2024, 08:47:58 pm »
I’d say with that damage on the edge it will require a refurb. Chin up mate… it’s only an alloy and it can be repaired making you love the car again :grin:

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2024, 08:50:43 pm »
I’m the same - so super careful but I had the car up on axles as I was doing a deep clean behind the arches, rotate the wheels front to back and then clean behind the alloys and ceramic coat it. It was getting late and before I could get it back on, the last wheel tipped over and the landed on my paved drive. I was super annoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2024, 10:23:26 pm »
The sad thing is I really do love the car. It was meant to be just a box on wheels to move the kids around to netball and football but the bloody thing is under my skin now. I see maybe 10 Mk5 Golf's a week and I'd say in the past 12 months I've seen 1 in good condition ( in the auctions, not the big wide world) ...just want mine to be in the better 50% of Golf's, not the sh*t half! Turning into a proper money pit and I promised myself I wouldn't get drawn into all that again...damn!

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2024, 12:42:44 pm »
There's nothing more galling than self inflicted damage  :grin:  Bloody annoying that!  I wouldn't get it completely redone over that personally as you only get 2 chances for a diamond cut, 3 at most, then the wheel starts thinning out too much.  A spot repair should be good enough  :happy2:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D