Make a donation

Author Topic: Oil LEVEL light keeps turning back on  (Read 515 times)

Offline Janno2G

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Oil LEVEL light keeps turning back on
« on: February 14, 2024, 10:18:16 pm »
Hello everyone!
So about 4 days ago my oil LEVEL light (yellow/amber warning light) came on.
I checked the dipstick and oil level was fine. I also figured out my hood latch is broken because it didn't reset the light so i unplugged it and plugged it back in and light turned off. Then when I was driving home from work the light came on again, so I stopped waited for it to cool and checked the dipstick again, and well as it turns out the oil level was once again fine. Did the hood trick again and oil light turned off. My concern is that the oil light has been turning on every time for the past 4 days always about 80kms after i reset it. I've read that this could mean low oil pressure due to gunked up oil pickup pipe or failing oil pump but im confused because would't that turn on the oil PRESSURE light (red warning)?

Any ideas as to what this could be?

So far my main suspect is the oil level sensor but im looking for any other insight.
Also some info about the car if it helps:
-2005 GTI
-242k km / 150k miles
-Oil changes have been done every 10k km (5w-50) last one was at 238K
-The map is STOCK but there are some mods
-Oil pressure was checked a few months ago and it was up to spec!
-I plan on doing a balance shaft delete + new pump and pickup pipe next service

Sorry if this post is a mess... It's my first time posting here and this whole oil level light has me worried because i've seen a lot of different causes for it on many forums.

Thanks in advance!

Offline OllieVRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Oil LEVEL light keeps turning back on
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 10:24:35 am »
Hi @Janno2G , I highly doubt it's anything to do with the oil pressure and the oil level sensor is in the sump, not after the pickup pipe/pump. Also you should ideally be running 5W-40 unless your mechanic has suggested otherwise, e.g. because your engine is worn and burning oil. But not an issue to keep running 5W-50 until your next change.

And if there's nothing wrong with your oil pressure, I wouldn't be replacing the oil pump itself. But balance shaft delete and pick-up replacement isn't a bad idea with your mileage. If by chance you had your oil pressure numbers as well as the RPMs they were measured at that would be helpful, as I've done quite a lot of work with my oil pump and gained a lot of knowledge so I can confirm if your numbers are within spec if you like.

I would bet it's the oil level sensor needing replacement. Perhaps a VCDS scan could give you more info.
'06 Skoda Octavia vRS TFSI

Offline Janno2G

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Oil LEVEL light keeps turning back on
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 11:12:01 am »
Hi @Janno2G , I highly doubt it's anything to do with the oil pressure and the oil level sensor is in the sump, not after the pickup pipe/pump. Also you should ideally be running 5W-40 unless your mechanic has suggested otherwise, e.g. because your engine is worn and burning oil. But not an issue to keep running 5W-50 until your next change.

And if there's nothing wrong with your oil pressure, I wouldn't be replacing the oil pump itself. But balance shaft delete and pick-up replacement isn't a bad idea with your mileage. If by chance you had your oil pressure numbers as well as the RPMs they were measured at that would be helpful, as I've done quite a lot of work with my oil pump and gained a lot of knowledge so I can confirm if your numbers are within spec if you like.

I would bet it's the oil level sensor needing replacement. Perhaps a VCDS scan could give you more info.

Thank you for the reply!

Unfortunately i dont remember the exact numbers of the oil pressure measurements my mechanic just told they are well within spec and i have nothing to worry about for now (i vaguely remmember hearing 5bar but i have no clue at what temp and what rpm). The car atleast for now burns very little oil. I do my oil changes every 8-10k km and between changes i maybe have to top up about 200-300ml. The reason for 5w50 use is because i do push the car alot and it spends alot of its time very very hot and in high rpms so i like a little bit more lubrication as far as that goes, and from what i've heard the mobil 5w50 apparently does keep your engine fairly clean aswell and i have used it in all my cars so far. I am open to trying 5w40 aswell tho if you have any specific brand recommendations :laugh:. As i said next oil change i will be doing the balance shaft delete because i've heard the balance shafts dont like high rpms and are a common failure point.
I want to make the car hold reliable power and im building towards that so im gonna get all the main points of failure covered. I will change the oil level sensor at the same time and will post here again to confirm if that was the issue!

Thank you again for the help :happy2:!