Make a donation

Author Topic: Footwell Lights - should I have 2?!  (Read 1143 times)

Offline DrefachSi

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Footwell Lights - should I have 2?!
« on: March 07, 2024, 02:37:18 pm »
Afternoon all.

New to Mk5s and have recently picked up a 57 plate GT TDI on 87k (Sport?!). South Wales area.

Looking to start freshening things up and want to upgrade the lighting to LED. I have a passenger side footwell light, but can seem to find a driver's side!?  Looks like there's a space for it, but it's not cut out?  Am I mad?

Was also going to ask about lights - are the headlights and rear clusters in the GT the same as the GTI?

Cheers.

Offline galaxie500

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 13
  • 56 plate 5 door in Black Pearl Metallic
Re: Footwell Lights - should I have 2?!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 07:01:10 pm »
Hiya.
I have a '56 plate GTI with I believe has every option there was available in 2006.....yet it didn't have a footwell light on the driver side! I had an Edition 30 some years ago and that did have both footwell lamps.  I can only think the passenger light is always fitted since the majority of cars produced are LHD.  I bought an Ali Express loom and fitted a Drivers side lamp. Pretty easy job.  Just requires removing the glovebox, connecting to the passenger side lamp, feeding the loom cable to the driver side, popping out the plastic blank in the panel below the steering column and fitting the new lamp and connector together.
Here's a screen grab of a similar kit for the under seat lamps... you get the idea!  The quality is fine and its a nice upgrade.

Hope this helps!
PR

Offline DrefachSi

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2024, 07:29:14 am »
Ah that really helps! 

Thanks for the info and picture. I'll have a look on Aliexpress and get one ordered up!  Looks straightforward enough.  :happy2: It's the small things innit!  Lol!

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2024, 09:42:57 pm »
2009 MK5 GTI

« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 09:44:49 pm by GreigC »