Make a donation

Author Topic: Maximising what i've got  (Read 1119 times)

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
Maximising what i've got
« on: March 08, 2024, 12:56:02 pm »
Good afternoon all, just after some advise on my best course of action with the Golf. I have had the cambelt and waterpump done last year, service 2000 miles ago, it has the GFB valve, have done the PCV valve too, thermostat etc. the list goes on....3 inch down pipe with 200 cell sports cat and 3 inch to the back system, now a forge twintecooler too..brakes and suspension all sorted. So i have read so many things on stage 1,2,2+ and frankly every company says different things. I have a ITG panel filter and the standard engine cover and that i would like to keep, different strokes for different folks am no longer a cone filter kinda guy...do i go stage 1 and my understanding is around 230-240 bhp but most companies say that is for standard hardware, or stage 2 as most say FMIC which i almost have and a downpipe but they normally say de-cat which i am not. Some insist on a cone filter/induction kit that i don't want. So...what is my best option? I don't feel the need to have a big brand name re-map, i am not chasing a specific figure but want it to be closer to a Golf R than a G-Wizz in terms of performance. Fuel economy isn't a primary concern and i favour torque over BHP, any advise welcomed. Am located Herts/Essex borders if anyone has suggestions locally too. Thanks

Offline colesey

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 89
Re: Maximising what i've got
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2024, 05:58:02 pm »
Any different downpipe / cat would be the determining factor for stage 2 in most tuner's categorisations.  Lower back pressure / egt to take advantage of, whilst also avoiding over-spooling. I would also add a vis hpfp as the fuel pump is driven by the camshaft and hence output is engine revs dependent. More fuel sooner is advantageous to earlier spool up whilst also maximising gains from a more stable air fuel ratio (AFR).

Online pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 672
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2024, 07:29:43 pm »
Tuners selling you a remap will naturally also try and sell you hardware and feed you BS about it being mandatory, when it really isn't.

The stock airbox is only restrictive past 300hp, which is well within the K03 turbos maximum airflow limit.

Similarly, the stock catback isn't very restrictive but the down pipe is, which you've done already.

As above, definitely get the VIS pump internals.

I would just get a Stage 1 tune with the hardware you've already done and leave it at that. Or Stage 2 is fine with the VIS.  Just ignore the BS about needing a cone on a pipe intake.  Those things are just complete trash.

The only way to get it to Golf R power is to K04 convert it, or hybrid turbo.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Clarky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2024, 12:13:16 am »
Thanks you two, not after Golf R power,  just closer to that than the 24bhp of a G-Wizz was all! I have no desire to change the hpfp internals tbh...rather spend the money fire fighting the rest of the car. I just have no idea how to best approach the idea of tuning it. Was so much simpler with the MR2 turbo...you just had a boost controller and fuel cut defender and used your balls to decide when to say enough!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2024, 03:49:02 pm »
Speak to Rtech, stage one should get you around 250 hp.