Make a donation

Author Topic: Headliner retrim - Anyone had it done recently?  (Read 3066 times)

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
Headliner retrim - Anyone had it done recently?
« on: March 21, 2024, 11:32:34 am »
Any had their headliner redone recently? Just wondering how much people have paid including materials? Also if anyone could recommend someone in the south east that would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline FatWelshBoy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Re: Headliner retrim - Anyone had it done recently?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2024, 07:09:18 pm »
Not south east but there's lous auto interiors in south Wales, she offers a courier/postal service. I think pillars and headliner are in the region of £360, you'll need to search for her on Facebook.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2024, 08:51:47 pm »
Not south east but there's lous auto interiors in south Wales, she offers a courier/postal service. I think pillars and headliner are in the region of £360, you'll need to search for her on Facebook.

Cheers pal looks like she is the go to for mk5's.

Question how easy are they to fit yourself? Would have to be extremely simple for me to do it  :scared:

Offline Octoparrot

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 100
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 09:32:47 am »
This might be worth a watch.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 09:34:32 am by Octoparrot »

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 12:18:55 pm »
My 09’ MK5 GTI had headliner sagging around the sunvisors and sunglasses tray around the front centre dome light.

I specifically replaced mine with a pre 2006 GTI headliner as the earlier the GTI… the better they seem to be. I believe there was a crossover from manufacturer on the later cars (different manufacturers branding on the top of the headliner) the later cars tend to suffer more from sagging. I’ve had it fitted two years now and it’s been perfect.

TIP: If you have a later GTI and your replace the headliner with an earlier headliner you may need to switch over the wiring that’s taped on the top (very easy to swap and it’s literally held on with masking tape from factory) as the interior alarm monitoring use to be in the middle of earlier MK5s and was later moved to the centre dome light.

It will take about half a day realistically to do it properly and it’s not to hard a job.

Personally I’d just look for a pre 06’ GTI headliner from a car that’s being broken apart and swap it over I paid about £60 for mine.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 12:26:10 pm by GreigC »

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2024, 01:14:37 pm »
Thanks for the advice all, much appreciated. Just to confirm this isnt the usual sagging headliner. I butchered it trying to transport a fridge freezer!  :sad1:

Offline PorkPieBandit

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2024, 01:55:02 pm »
My 09’ MK5 GTI had headliner sagging around the sunvisors and sunglasses tray around the front centre dome light.

I specifically replaced mine with a pre 2006 GTI headliner as the earlier the GTI… the better they seem to be. I believe there was a crossover from manufacturer on the later cars (different manufacturers branding on the top of the headliner) the later cars tend to suffer more from sagging. I’ve had it fitted two years now and it’s been perfect.

TIP: If you have a later GTI and your replace the headliner with an earlier headliner you may need to switch over the wiring that’s taped on the top (very easy to swap and it’s literally held on with masking tape from factory) as the interior alarm monitoring use to be in the middle of earlier MK5s and was later moved to the centre dome light.

It will take about half a day realistically to do it properly and it’s not to hard a job.

Personally I’d just look for a pre 06’ GTI headliner from a car that’s being broken apart and swap it over I paid about £60 for mine.

Hope this helps.

I'd been considering redoing my headliner as a DIY job. This sounds so much easier though, thanks for the tip.

Offline GreigC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2024, 04:36:03 pm »

Hope this helps.

I'd been considering redoing my headliner as a DIY job. This sounds so much easier though, thanks for the tip.

No worries :happy2:

The issue with DIY is you will most likely notice creases where there shouldn’t be and general fitment issues (aesthetically) depends how fussy you are. Either get a professional to redo the headliner then fit yourself or get another genuine one.