Make a donation

Author Topic: Power steering problem : SOLVED  (Read 1089 times)

Offline buki99

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Power steering problem : SOLVED
« on: March 25, 2024, 06:51:21 pm »
A few days ago i was performing a right hand turn, i applied a bit more throttle since there was oncoming traffic, and the steering became heavy for a split second, the yellow steering wheel dash lamp was lit and blinking for about 5 seconds before going away, the car also started revving, like it kicked me out of gear, the car in question is mk5 gti 2007 with DSG, all of this happened in 5 seconds and it returned to normal.

I checked for fault codes with OBD eleven and there was 00446 Steering assistance code and 01749 downshift button on steering wheel. I cleared both codes and they didn't come back until two days ago when that happened to me again, I was going right again and i applied heavier throttle, i am not sure what is causing this issue, hopefully someone can help.

All of the above happened again on another occasion. This time i hit some random pothole on the road the yellow steering wheel dash light immediately went off, the car also went into "neutral" and started revving as i was on the accelerator, everything also lasted about 5 seconds after hitting the pothole and then it got back to normal with no dash lights, later on when i scanned with obd eleven the same fault code 00446 on steering assistance module appeared.

I have a suspicion that a faulty steering rack might be causing all these problems. What do you guys think?

Update:
I managed to solve the problem, i drove the car to the local car electrician, he found out it was the wiring that connects to the steering assistance module, when turning right and activating traction control the voltage would drop and it would cause all the lights on the dash to light up since the other modules rely on the info of this one.

It was a really odd problem so hopefully it can help someone in the future.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 09:18:12 pm by buki99 »