Make a donation

Author Topic: Metallic sound from engine, possible timing stretch?  (Read 555 times)

Offline hcmzah

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
Metallic sound from engine, possible timing stretch?
« on: April 01, 2024, 06:31:01 pm »

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum.

I've recently noticed a metallic sound from the engine (not the injectors) and it sounds like it could be from the timing chain.

However, I've done some measuring on VCDS and it seems to be OK to me (I'm not a professional at all)
Does the video attached seem to be fine in terms of the values?

Engine is a stock BWA and is on 141k, cam follower changed at 134k. Any help is appreciated, thank you!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 06:36:17 pm by hcmzah »

Offline OllieVRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Metallic sound from engine, possible timing stretch?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2024, 02:40:33 pm »
I can't hear any metallic sound from the video, could you perhaps record a video recording around the engine bay to see where it's loudest?

Yes the specs look fine, but was the engine fully up to temperature when you measured the figures? And any other engine fault codes?

'06 Skoda Octavia vRS TFSI

Offline hcmzah

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2024, 05:49:49 pm »
I can't hear any metallic sound from the video, could you perhaps record a video recording around the engine bay to see where it's loudest?

Yes the specs look fine, but was the engine fully up to temperature when you measured the figures? And any other engine fault codes?

Yes engine was fully up to temp, no other faults.

I honestly can't find out where it's coming from exactly, but here's a video from the engine bay - fully up to temp.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 05:56:46 pm by hcmzah »

Offline OllieVRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2024, 02:20:19 pm »
There's two places to check before determining it could be the timing chain: Left circle is the tensioner for the auxiliary belt, right circle is the Evap Purge Valve (N80). Both can make a metallic noise. Put your ear to both and see if either is the source of the noise.

'06 Skoda Octavia vRS TFSI

Offline hcmzah

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 04:53:38 pm »
Thanks for the response, I did end up doing the chain and tensioner along with the adjuster and it's now a lot quieter and the sound has gone.
However, I did hear a lot of ticking from the purge valve, so I put back my old one and that's also a lot quieter

Reason I changed the purge valve initially was because of the P0441 code but that was due to needing a new charcoal cannister