Make a donation

Author Topic: Buying this mk5 off Facebook marketplace.. is it a good deal?  (Read 328 times)

Offline ALFAFIRE111

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Recently been looking for a new car to drive and the mk5 gti really caught my eye, I'm planning on buying this car within the next few days any red flags? - I know the car has been heavily modded.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2381815115349228?ref=saved&referral_code=null

Offline OllieVRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Buying this mk5 off Facebook marketplace.. is it a good deal?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2024, 01:14:33 am »
1. Check the service history. The car should have been serviced every 10k miles, ideally less. Lack of oil changes can lead to oil system related failures, so the money you save initially ends up costing the same or more down the line.
2. Ideally you'd have someone with VCDS (Ross-Tec) check the car for fault codes, as this can quickly reveal any problems the car has, even problems that are serious yet don't create fault lights on the dash.
3. Check for rust on the front arches, between the rear bumper and rear arches, around the badge on the boot. The wrap may have hidden any rust, so look carefully for unevenness in these areas.
4. Ask for proof of the '280bhp', I'm sceptical it's that powerful given the mods the seller has listed.
5. 3" 'Turbo-back' exhaust means no catalytic converter. Unless the seller is selling the original catalytic converter with the car it will not pass an MOT on emissions.
'06 Skoda Octavia vRS TFSI