Make a donation

Author Topic: 62% insurance increase anyone?  (Read 6950 times)

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
62% insurance increase anyone?
« on: May 02, 2024, 11:47:37 pm »
Yep, email today says that's what they want.....62% more  :rolleye:
Robbing so and so's, will check comparison sites sure enough.
Was expecting an increase from what I've read but nope, not on.

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 7
Re: 62% insurance increase anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2024, 11:24:29 am »
Like any insurance, broadband etc. they rip the absolute piss on renewals.

I always get quotes from comparison sites and also a few brokers and then ring the best 2 or 3 to see if i can get a better price. I ring the cheapest first and say 'x company have offered it for £40 less than your quote can you match it?'

Sometimes works sometimes not but worth a go.

Offline OllieVRS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2024, 05:14:06 pm »
Less and less insurers here in Ireland want to insure the poor vRS, as it's now 18 years old. According to most of them anything over 10 years old is a death trap  :grin:

The ones that still offer to insure it have put up their prices, I assume due to the age of the car rather than other statistics.

You'll just have to shop around for a better quote.
'06 Skoda Octavia vRS TFSI

Offline terrier

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 37
  • My Ride: GTI now gone
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2024, 05:23:26 pm »
Dog insurance has gone from £18 to £32/month :grin:

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2024, 10:03:45 pm »
Yeah the insurance on my 330d went from £665 last year to £1250 this year  :grin: Mental.

Cheapest quote on Go F'ck yourself was £800 through a no name broker with virtually no cover  :grin:

Car parts and labour costs have increased is their excuse. So what. My skills at work have improved in the last year, that doesn't mean I can demand a 62% pay rise! Greedy forkers.

The whole point of insurance is we all pay into a contingency pot to cover life's unexpected events, so what the fook are they doing with all that money?  Oh the world has changed slightly, boo hoo, 9848% more cash from you please. Utter runts, grrrrrrr.

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2024, 10:04:53 pm »
Phoned Esure and said I was surprised at their admin error of a 62% increase, they agreed to a 'discount' that brings it down to only a 47% increase  :signLOL:
Worst of all, I tried a couple of comparison sites and they were even more  :surprised:
To be continued.......
And yes I agree, robbing bar stewards the lot of them.

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2024, 10:14:38 am »
I must be in the minority but my renewal quote just came through and I see a significant savings this year (which I’m more than happy to take). The joys of getting on in years I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jons1001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2024, 10:28:37 am »
Result! Is that a mk5 gti? modified at all? Cheers

Offline fakie1977

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
62% insurance increase anyone?
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2024, 10:34:51 am »
This is for my 2004 Porsche 911 (standard). My Mk5 GTI which was renewed in March came in a quid cheaper (again standard). Between those cars I do less than 3000 miles and they’re both garaged so that probably helps. (Just noticed the Porsche is cheaper than my GTI!!)

My daily driver is my company car so I never have to worry about insurance, road tax or service for that (which is why I can afford my toys). I’ve just order the new BMW i5 Touring as my replacement company car so be interesting to see how a full electric fits in our household.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2024, 04:08:12 pm »
I was surprised at a relatively cheap quote this year.  With mods decalred through Flux I'm paying £550.  I ran a comparethemarket to see what I'd get without the (very small number) of mods, and it was £350.  All cheaper than last year.

For context I'm 36, have about 14years NCB, an SP30 to declare, but live in a BD (bradford) postcode, albiet in a nice area the BD prefix puts the price up. Greenlight wouldn't even quote me.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2024, 10:07:33 am »
I was surprised at a relatively cheap quote this year.  With mods decalred through Flux I'm paying £550.  I ran a comparethemarket to see what I'd get without the (very small number) of mods, and it was £350.  All cheaper than last year.

For context I'm 36, have about 14years NCB, an SP30 to declare, but live in a BD (bradford) postcode, albiet in a nice area the BD prefix puts the price up. Greenlight wouldn't even quote me.

Who did you go with on Compare?

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2024, 10:09:07 am »
@fakie good prices but not really a like for like insurance situation!

Offline TheBALDpuma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2024, 01:00:51 pm »

Well I insured through flux to keep it all above board. The cheap quote on compare was through ageas... Incidentally they're the same people who underwrite my flux policy.

Offline Lewo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2024, 09:48:23 pm »

Well I insured through flux to keep it all above board. The cheap quote on compare was through ageas... Incidentally they're the same people who underwrite my flux policy.

Thanks, will bear them in mind.
Esure have emailed saying there was an error in the renewal and will send out a new one....see what they come up with now lol.
I still think it's a 'kin racket.

Offline pudding

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 675
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2024, 05:32:20 pm »
Age didn't appear to be a factor in my case as I'm 51 with a clean license (god knows how) and live in a low crime area.

Adding my missus brought it down though, not that she ever drives my cars  :grin: 

Annoying as my ED30 was always around £350, so it must just be a BMW tax or something!  Too many road captains crashing their remapped M140is maybe.

In the end the cheapest cover was BMWs own insurance bizarrely enough.  LV= who I was with last year refused to quote  :grin:

2007 ED30 | 2009 TDI 140 | 2016 BMW 330D