Make a donation

Author Topic: Squeaky Brakes  (Read 7678 times)

spikeGTi

Squeaky Brakes
« on: April 08, 2010, 01:11:39 am »
On light braking their is an annoying squeaking noise, on hard braking no noise. Any idea's ? 13.000 on clock on first set of pads.

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: Squeaky Brakes
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 01:16:33 am »
How much meat is left on them?

Golf R gone.

Offline 94Luke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 01:47:01 am »
Generally speaking, I would've thought you would use some kind of carbon compound for the pads, not pork chops  :booty:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 02:19:57 am »
Generally speaking, I would've thought you would use some kind of carbon compound for the pads, not pork chops  :booty:

:P
Golf R gone.

Offline kbish73

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 07:43:49 am »
when fitting brake pads some coppa slip should be smeared on the rear surface of the pads to elliminate this !!! if it dries up this could be your  cause by the sounds of things..   :smiley:
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 07:49:42 am by kbish73 »
3dr 2006 gti steel grey 18" monzas sunroof cruise control parking sensors,giac stage1,miltek cat back,Pannel filter,tarrox discs .....

G5Blk

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 03:04:14 pm »
If i were you id have a look at the metal guards behind the brake disc sounds like they are touching somewhere slightly i had the same problem a while ago

Offline Boothy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 32
  • All donations accepted, thanks.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 03:39:25 pm »
I've always just put a squirt of brake cleaner on the discs, taking care not to get it on the rims. That's always worked for me.

Offline joesgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 35
  • Eat my sick, Eat my sick.
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 03:52:41 pm »
i get this too, i thought it was because they were cold?  :chicken:

If you need any games consoles or games, accessories, etc etc, PM me for my best price,

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 04:06:46 pm »
tiny bit of copper slip on the back of the pads works wonders! ;)

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 05:44:06 pm »
Just swapped mine out again. Now on rallye+ pads and the annoying low speed squeal has gone. Copperslip FTW :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Ron, Edition30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 05:48:58 pm »
I have a very similar brake squeal at low speed when coming to a halt. I'm on 16,000 miles on the original pads which have plenty life left.

I've cleaned the front brake calipers and applied some Bostik Pure Nickle Anti-Seize compound to the rear of the pads, great stuff as recommend by Teutonic_Tamer. Still have the squeal so it must be coming from the rears, gona do them next.

Shameless for sale plug :ashamed:, I have some tins of Bostik Pure Nickel available at a bargain price. See my post in the for sale section if interested:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,13652.0.html

Ron

Edition30 - Reflex Silver - 3door - Manual - Highline - RNS-510 - Unmodified - No.1097

Offline alex_chung

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 06:28:50 pm »
Just swapped mine out again. Now on rallye+ pads and the annoying low speed squeal has gone. Copperslip FTW :happy2:

What pads did you have previously mate? As you know I have the same brakes as you and mines squeal like mad at certain times. I got Awesome to regreese them the last time I was in but it only solved the problem for a short time. Any ideas?
Alex

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 08:07:41 pm »

What pads did you have previously mate? As you know I have the same brakes as you and mines squeal like mad at certain times. I got Awesome to regreese them the last time I was in but it only solved the problem for a short time. Any ideas?
Alex

Before the pads on now, I had corsa+ pads, which are sprayed bronze on the backing plate to identify them. I went to TAROX HQ a few weeks back and their advice was to try the Rallye+ pads, which are slightly less agressive and don't suffer brake squeal as much either. I've not really had much chance to give them the full test as they need bedding in first, but I'll keep you posted. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Chris

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 08:25:27 pm »
i sometimes get squeaky brakes in reverse, ie reversing out the drive

Offline alex_chung

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 10:56:10 pm »

Alex

Before the pads on now, I had corsa+ pads, which are sprayed bronze on the backing plate to identify them. I went to TAROX HQ a few weeks back and their advice was to try the Rallye+ pads, which are slightly less agressive and don't suffer brake squeal as much either. I've not really had much chance to give them the full test as they need bedding in first, but I'll keep you posted. :happy2:

Will check mines tomorrow. I think the Corsa+ are the ones that come with the kit (would need to double check with Awesome or the box) but will keep the Rallye+ in mind. Let me know how you get on.
Alex