Make a donation

Author Topic: Apple iMac  (Read 31749 times)

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
Apple iMac
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:44:15 pm »
Is there anyone on here who uses the apple iMac desktop computer? I am in need of a new computer as my current laptop is rubbish. I have been looking into the iMac desktop computer and it does look a superb bit of kit. I have an iPhone which I couldn't do without so i thought maybe its time to change from windows. I just wanted some real life comments of normal users like yourselfs. (As I have read countless professional reviews and scoured youtube) Just any advice on them, things you dont like if any etc.

Also I have read about a student discount, does anyone know if you have to buy direct from apple to receive this?

I think I have spied a pic of VC having one.......... :confused:

Cheers
Ollie

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Re: Apple iMac
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 09:46:49 pm »
Do it! I made the move 4 years ago and have never looked back! Sure, it takes a couple of months to get used to it all, but once you're used to it it is very slick! Especially as you've already got an iPhone!
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:13:49 pm »
Do it! I made the move 4 years ago and have never looked back! Sure, it takes a couple of months to get used to it all, but once you're used to it it is very slick! Especially as you've already got an iPhone!

Just what I wanted to hear!  :smiley:

Unsure which is the best iMac to go for as there are a few different variants. (two 21.5" and two 27") with £600 between them. Any opinions?  :confused:

And the best place to purchase.....  :happy2:

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 450
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 10:18:42 pm »
Do remember that your present "extra" PC programs will not natively run on a Mac...
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 10:18:58 pm »
I have a Mac Pro (Desktop) - they are great machines and I would strongly recommend going down the MacOS route. I would holdfire if you are going down the route of the 27" iMac as they have had a few production issues, not sure if this has been sorted.

Offline theo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 10:21:15 pm »
I made the switch to mac about 4 years ago too. Best move i made, and you can still run Windows on your mac through parallels/bootcamp etc. so you dont miss out on the little things.

I bought mine from the Apple shop in london and ended up with quite a big discount. I have a Mac Pro which i used to use for my photography and also have a macbook pro.

You wont regret the move  :happy2:

Offline Kemosabi1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 10:22:23 pm »
Ditto - I jumped on board the Apple wagon in the early 2000's and have couple of iMac's, iBook and a fair few iPods, iPhone (best gadget ever??) etc.  Would never go back and I have converted a few - all the same as me, would never go back.  Sure they are expensive but well worth it.

In terms of where to buy - official site as good as anywhere, don't think there are real discounts to be had anywhere and at least from there you know you are getting the latest version.

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 10:23:45 pm »
Yeah as said above, the Bootcamp thing is very useful!

If you purchase from Apple direct (that includes the Apple retail stores), then you will get the student discount. I did it that way! I think i got about 17% off which was definitely worth having!

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 10:25:21 pm »
Do remember that your present "extra" PC programs will not natively run on a Mac...

How do you mean. Are we talking about ms office packages etc?   :smiley:

I have a Mac Pro (Desktop) - they are great machines and I would strongly recommend going down the MacOS route. I would holdfire if you are going down the route of the 27" iMac as they have had a few production issues, not sure if this has been sorted.

Yeah i have read about this. Yellowing of the screen and flickering? I will investigate to see if they have been corrected.  :happy2:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 10:25:27 pm »
My Macbook has not crashed/frozen once in the 4 years that I've had it.

To be honest, the only temperamental program is Safari (equivalent of Internet Explorer), which I think most will agree is useless - although much better than it used to be! But a quick download of Firefox solves this issue  :happy2:

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 10:28:18 pm »
I made the switch to mac about 4 years ago too. Best move i made, and you can still run Windows on your mac through parallels/bootcamp etc. so you dont miss out on the little things.

I bought mine from the Apple shop in london and ended up with quite a big discount. I have a Mac Pro which i used to use for my photography and also have a macbook pro.

You wont regret the move  :happy2:

I have seen the bootcamp which is good I thought.
So best to try to buy direct from apple rather than comet, currys etc.  :happy2:

Offline ollie288

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 10:30:54 pm »
Ditto - I jumped on board the Apple wagon in the early 2000's and have couple of iMac's, iBook and a fair few iPods, iPhone (best gadget ever??) etc.  Would never go back and I have converted a few - all the same as me, would never go back.  Sure they are expensive but well worth it.

In terms of where to buy - official site as good as anywhere, don't think there are real discounts to be had anywhere and at least from there you know you are getting the latest version.

Yeah as said above, the Bootcamp thing is very useful!

If you purchase from Apple direct (that includes the Apple retail stores), then you will get the student discount. I did it that way! I think i got about 17% off which was definitely worth having!

Cheers guys. I had a look at the student discount but when I clicked on college student it says my ip address is not allowed!  :confused:

Offline Kemosabi1

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 10:36:05 pm »
Another point to consider with Mac's is that they are a bit like the GTI - expensive to buy in the first instance but cracking resale values when you decide to upgrade!

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 10:38:36 pm »
Another point to consider with Mac's is that they are a bit like the GTI - expensive to buy in the first instance but cracking resale values when you decide to upgrade!
Get a Mac Pro and you don't need to upgrade for a few years  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 10:43:02 pm »
I was born in Macdom with the original Bondi Blue Babe iMac in 1998 (still got it!). I've now got a dual G5 desktop but it's not working and I'm planning to get the new 27" iMac maxed out cos I run Logic Studio (pro music sequencer/editor) but I keep spending my money on trips to the Noodleburgering!

I bought a MacBook Pro 17" for my daughter last year and got the student discount. Easiest is to visit an Apple Store with your student letter of acceptance or proof of attendance. Lots of savings to be had if you sweet talk the Apple genius genie.

Always buy the max spec you can afford - It'll last you longer.

I'm 'speaking' to you from my daughter's 17" G4 iMac (which used to be mine).

We'll soon have 5 Macs in the house!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!