Make a donation

Author Topic: Drivers door Lock help.....  (Read 1001 times)

Saint Steve

Drivers door Lock help.....
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:06:09 pm »
Has anyone replaced or know if its a easy job to replace the drivers door lock barrel.

Mine has seemed to have corroded up inside the barrel, works if i fill it with wd40 but cannot unlock my drivers door without putting the key in the lock to open the door. :sad1:

If i buy a new barrel, will it still need VCDS to get lock anf key matched or is it a universal lock on the mk5's and its the key which is coded individually to the car?

Ta

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
Re: Drivers door Lock help.....
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 07:45:59 pm »
Does the car have warranty ?, if you change the barrel you will have two keys for the car, i.e one for door and one for ignition, unless you change the ignition barrell also , i reckon i would take it to bits and overhaul it , im assuming you mean the barrel i do LOL
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 07:47:34 pm by 182_blue »

Offline john_o

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:04:24 pm »
barrel can easily be removed (if you open the door theres a blanking plug that covers a fixing holding it in) , once removed its tiny. (around the size of 10 stacked 5p pieces) , then you may be able to work more magic
Im not sure but I reckon you can order just the barrel (based on your key/car code), dealer should oblige as a warranty if its corroded  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Saint Steve

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 10:35:02 pm »
Cheers for the advice chaps, although car is out of warranty so wouldnt get cover i would guess.

I wasnt sure if the actual barrel is universal and key coding is different.