Make a donation

Author Topic: AP Pro 5000 BBK  (Read 19917 times)

Offline gobbleplease

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
AP Pro 5000 BBK
« on: April 17, 2010, 04:31:01 pm »
I have not had them on my car too long but ive been out driving all day with them and they are absolutly cracking !!!
They are with out a doubt the best modification ive ever done to any car ever, and imo the golf needed them. Dont get me wrong the exhaust is brilliant and my fav in your face mod, but the brakes, performance wise, are just Spot on.

The spec is AP Pro 5000 calipers (race calipers that are abit lighter than the road APs and loads lighter than the standard GTI set up), 2 piece 330mm x 28mm vented grooved discs, HEL Carbon fibre look braided hoses, and 2 sets of pads one for track and one for road DS 2500 (road) Pagid Blues (track)

Ive not tracked them yet but ill update the review when i do. Ive spent most of the day testing them seeing how they react under differant situations which has helped me get a feel for them.

Under braking they stop you noticably quicker than standard, hardly any pressure needs to be applied to the pedal for you to be making good stopping progress. The brakes never feel grabby just beautifully progressive and you never seem to need to apply anywhere near full pedal travel to get the car to come to a uncomfortably Quick stop:laugh:

The pedal feel is pretty good but ive not really had enough time to judge this yet as i think this will need to be gauged over time and under differant situations.

Town driving is perfectly civilised with only a little droan at low speeds (the only down side to these IMO) but you need to listen out for it, to hear it as its not that loud, very little pedal movement is required in towns and IMO it makes driving a little more comfortable!

I also decided to try a couple of 70-0 stops, the first few were really just to gauge what to expect and make sure i dont get any weird noises as i had just fitted them. The third stop was feckin unbelievable! :jumping:
ive still got soar eye balls from the Gs Generated.

I then decided to see how the car reacted under corner braking, just to make sure it didnt get all squirmey on me, but again all was fine and it wasnt suffering to badly after trying on differant corners with varying speeds and degrees of pedal depressions it just took it on the chin scrubbed the mphs with out drama.

After all of this i set the car up at the side of my house and had a look at the discs, i spat on them to see how hot the discs were. The rears bubbled the spit instantly and as i spat on the fronts the spit just dribbled down the discs, i couldnt believe it  :surprised:, i then touched them and burnt my finger, but the point is they were way cooler than the rears !

In conclusion these are superb, and IMO is one of the best mods you can do to your GTI.

MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: AP Pro 5000 BBK
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 09:46:34 pm »
I would love some of these on my car. Dave brought them round to my house a while back and the weight of them is amazing. I am sure they are made out of maltezers.  :happy2:

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 12:06:39 pm »
Yea i had them off yesterday and when i put a bit off effort in to support the weight of the calipers as they were unbolted from the mounts, i about launched them through the arch ! Totally forgot how light they were. When you seen them TC, and were impressed by the weight, if you were to get a set you would be impressed 10 fold by the way they drive ! :laugh:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 08:15:17 pm »
the only difference is TCs discs make yours look small lol

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 08:53:10 pm »
superb thanks for doing a writeup  :happy2:
really jealous about the unsprung weight as my R32 setup is like an elephant in the room  :signLOL:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 09:04:33 pm »

As I keep telling the wife, size has little to do with performance  :wink:

I reckon those are inside 9kg per corner...with pads,   the pro5000+ range of goodies from AP are track proven and standard equipment on a 450BHP Metro 6R4.

That kit also fits behind pescaras without spacers so its unfortunate that neither of the two kits I had went to ED30 owners.

Looking good Bryan, you need to pull through your installer with a frickin wedge though

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 09:10:21 pm »
Can you get any more though Dave?  :smiley: Am still contemplating...

As I keep telling the wife, size has little to do with performance  :wink:

I reckon those are inside 9kg per corner...with pads,   the pro5000+ range of goodies from AP are track proven and standard equipment on a 450BHP Metro 6R4.

That kit also fits behind pescaras without spacers so its unfortunate that neither of the two kits I had went to ED30 owners.

Looking good Bryan, you need to pull through your installer with a frickin wedge though

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 09:22:46 pm »
^^^^^^^^ No bother at all John  :happy2:

As I keep telling the wife, size has little to do with performance  :wink:

I reckon those are inside 9kg per corner...with pads,   the pro5000+ range of goodies from AP are track proven and standard equipment on a 450BHP Metro 6R4.

Will be tomorrow Dave for sure, in your opinion what do you think would be a good settlement ? i might email you some pics of the state of the pads and discs if i get a chance

Cheers ! :rolleye:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 09:24:53 pm by gobbleplease »

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 09:32:27 pm »

I wouldnt want bigger discs on these calipers, ive been driving its wee socks off today, those calipers with those discs are spot. They feel like they were made for the car. Im one happy bunny !

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 01:41:51 pm »
Very nice indeed! How did I miss this thread.

What brakes are you running on the rear?

I've got the older AP Racing BBK 4-pots on the front and recently added S3's to the rear which resulted in noticeably more solid and balanced braking, not that I wasn't very satisfied before! The good just got better.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 02:14:01 pm »
Just standard set up on the rear, i actually had a set of r32 rears to put on but i didnt really feel the car needed them , i think the braking seems pretty balanced so im just going to leave them as is. Ive still not tracked the car yet as i need to get myself new disks as im currently running two nearsides which are both running at noticably differant temperatures (due to one not rotating in the correct direction, so not cooling effectivly) so didnt want to risk it on the track until im all correct, maybe a track session will highlight a need for the r32/s3 rears but so far im really impressed. Still my fav mod !

Im not sure what discs im going to get, there is a superlight weight disc, a heavy disc (for heat disaption) and the mid weight disc.

Im really fancying the lightweight, but my head says Mid  :confused:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 02:52:03 pm »
Stunning kit and by rthe sounds of it stunning stopping performance  :drool:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 07:01:24 pm »
Just standard set up on the rear, i actually had a set of r32 rears to put on but i didnt really feel the car needed them , i think the braking seems pretty balanced so im just going to leave them as is. Ive still not tracked the car yet as i need to get myself new disks as im currently running two nearsides which are both running at noticably differant temperatures (due to one not rotating in the correct direction, so not cooling effectivly) so didnt want to risk it on the track until im all correct, maybe a track session will highlight a need for the r32/s3 rears but so far im really impressed. Still my fav mod !

Im not sure what discs im going to get, there is a superlight weight disc, a heavy disc (for heat disaption) and the mid weight disc.

I wouldn't worry about one disc runnig the wrong way. audi as stock delivers only disc for one direction, even on their 395mm disc, they are directional but you get 2 left/right, can't remember which direction they are but they are the same direction  :confused:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 09:48:15 pm »

I wouldn't worry about one disc runnig the wrong way. audi as stock delivers only disc for one direction, even on their 395mm disc, they are directional but you get 2 left/right, can't remember which direction they are but they are the same direction  :confused:

Indeed but the Audi discs are pillar cast and not directionally vaned, I had a brain fart and supplied 2 of the same side so It'll do for now but between us were going to get some brand new ones - the AP Pro 5000 DISC the lightweight one that Bry refers to is inside of 4kg  :laugh: :drool:

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 10:31:42 pm »
what do you recommend dave the lightweights or medium weight ?

whats disc durability / life like on the lightweights and will they be heat soaked a fair bit quicker than the medium weights ?

Ill ge them of ya at some point mate ill need to save up first, ive spent a bit much on the car of late.