Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 421302 times)

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
Re: NQS BBK - A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit.....Now on with PICS
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2010, 12:15:28 am »
Rare as rocking horse sh*t?? Two different listings went in the last three days and I bought the second set with pads, sensors etc for less than £250  :happy2: and have just bought Daves mounting set and am at castle combe on the 3rd, will test going into camp and quarry on full chat :scared:, hope they are as good as the thread suggests (gotta be better than the std set up)

You jammy sod! Ok, I'm going to have to rethink my ebay search strategy as I've been looking over that time and only came up with finished listings. Thank the lordy that I was doing it in company time as I'd hate to have wasted my own  :laugh:

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2010, 12:20:38 am »

The calipers are current and fitted to a cayman and yes £395. They're a kind of blue black colour new, I was actually wrong in the previous post when I said that you need to buy the £35 pad fitting kit....Its actually included with the caliper. You're still into a pad wear sensor £10 and £30's worth of pad dampners which makes the kit very road civilised. Obviously you dont need dampners on track pads.

Its shaping up to be a good kit - slightly more money than an R32 setup but lighter and a great pedal.

You've confused me a bit there Dave - the pictures of dem big red things in the earlier posts aren't the Cayman calipers (which are blue/black) but the Cayman's will work with your kit too?...or am I being dense and looking a pair of Cayman calipers painted red  :smiley:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 12:22:16 am by muckipup »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2010, 12:27:47 am »
you liking the idea of this one then muckipup.  makes more sense to me than the R32s.  you an always rely on me to help you empty your wallet :happy2:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2010, 06:58:54 am »
You've confused me a bit there Dave - the pictures of dem big red things in the earlier posts aren't the Cayman calipers (which are blue/black) but the Cayman's will work with your kit too?...or am I being dense and looking a pair of Cayman calipers painted red

They're Cayman calipers that have received some TLC buddy....

If anybody could be arsed and set about ringing some Porsche breakers with the criteria being:

1. Max Budget £250 (Doable when explained to Mr. B.Reaker that they're sub £400 new)
2. No more than 3 years Old late model Cayman/2.7 Boxtser
3. Pads etc included
4. Great Condition

I'm sure that you'd get a better deal than on ebay.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2010, 07:27:30 am »
must admit i had a look on the net just now, and there are alot of porsche calipers but they all seem above £400

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2010, 11:24:05 am »
you liking the idea of this one then muckipup.  makes more sense to me than the R32s.  you an always rely on me to help you empty your wallet :happy2:

Yeah, not that I need much help in emptying my wallet. I was on the sniff for some second hand R32s but I love the idea of this. Unfortunately the nice chaps at JKM pointed out the wear on the inside edges of both rear tyres in addition to the balding fronts that I knew about so it's 4 new tyres and a geo next week for the cost that would have just about paid for this  :sad1:  Like you, I have only seen the £400+ calipers but, as Dave said, perhaps searching for "Porsche calipers" and narrowing it down manually may be more sensible as it seems there are a few ways for seller to describe what they're selling.

I'm going to sort the tyres first and start saving  :happy2:

You've confused me a bit there Dave - the pictures of dem big red things in the earlier posts aren't the Cayman calipers (which are blue/black) but the Cayman's will work with your kit too?...or am I being dense and looking a pair of Cayman calipers painted red

They're Cayman calipers that have received some TLC buddy....

If anybody could be arsed and set about ringing some Porsche breakers with the criteria being:

1. Max Budget £250 (Doable when explained to Mr. B.Reaker that they're sub £400 new)
2. No more than 3 years Old late model Cayman/2.7 Boxtser
3. Pads etc included
4. Great Condition

I'm sure that you'd get a better deal than on ebay.

Thanks Dave...so it was the latter and I was being dense  :wink:

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2010, 04:12:08 pm »
Try Porsche brakes as well  :wink: there now the genie is out the bottle.......................................

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2010, 10:25:18 pm »
sorry dumb here- each porsche new caliper - £395 per one . 2x£395 plus the £200 kit for a full front setup

£395 is for the pair Keith  :happy2:

Thats cool, I could then resell my R32 set up afterwards for £200 :happy2:

Offline B3n

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
  • Boom!!!!
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2010, 09:41:11 am »
sorry dumb here- each porsche new caliper - £395 per one . 2x£395 plus the £200 kit for a full front setup

£395 is for the pair Keith  :happy2:

Thats cool, I could then resell my R32 set up afterwards for £200 :happy2:

First dibs :happy2:

My Flickr    Instagram: Chappers84

Offline cuzmk5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2010, 09:44:19 pm »

What sort of money we talking to get a set of these calipers refurished, powered coated and new seals?

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2010, 12:06:55 pm »
Depending on condition, age, seal condition anywhere from £100-£200.

A whole new set of dust/fluid seals are around £80 - rarely required though, invariably its the odd dust seal thats split or is on the way out.

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2010, 11:18:28 pm »
I guess it makes sense to be completely certain that seals are intact before buying second hand calipers as even £80 on top of say £250 for a second hand pair would make it more sensible to spend £395 at the Porsche dealers  :smiley:

By the way Dave, are you sure that they are £395  from the dealers new as I see them on ebay from a German supplier for over £500 + postage?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 11:22:34 am by muckipup »

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2010, 12:04:01 pm »
I guess it makes sense to be completely certain that seals are intact before buying second hand calipers as even £80 on top of say £250 for a second hand pair would make it more sensible to spend £395 at the Porsche dealers  :smiley:

By the way Dave, are you sure that they are £395  from the dealers new as I see them on ebay from a German supplier for over £500 + postage?

Update:  I took the liberty of giving Porsche Reading a call. They are quoting £276 (inc VAT) for each caliper

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2010, 07:11:40 pm »
Thats Porsche added tax - The price I quoted was from my tame local porsche centre - theres 25% in the caliper and they were retaining 3%

I'd be happy to make a call for you to get in touch with Stevey at OPC Bolton, there all great up there. Dave the parts manager is a great guy - a real can-do parts guy a rare beast nowadays.

If you fancy a pair at the price I quoted then PM me, I'll have them collected and shipped any where UK to help you out a bit.

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #104 on: May 25, 2010, 10:17:12 pm »
Thats Porsche added tax - The price I quoted was from my tame local porsche centre - theres 25% in the caliper and they were retaining 3%

I'd be happy to make a call for you to get in touch with Stevey at OPC Bolton, there all great up there. Dave the parts manager is a great guy - a real can-do parts guy a rare beast nowadays.

If you fancy a pair at the price I quoted then PM me, I'll have them collected and shipped any where UK to help you out a bit.

I really appreciate that Dave and if I can get the cash together, I'll take you up on that offer. I'm still loving this set up but, per the post above, I'm into 4 new tyres and a geo next week  :sad1:!

Realistically, I am looking at £395 for the calipers, £200 to you, probably new OEM discs at £60 although the current ones are in good nick, decent pads £80, 4 shims ?£30 plus p&p costs and the likes and I'd probably want the calipers powder coated in red £50??? i.e. I ain't going to get much change out of £850 doing it the expensive way. However, I'm still well interested and if I can get some second-hand calipers from fleabay in the meantime, then all the better.