Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 422342 times)

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
Re: NQS BBK - A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit... Another Guinea Pig
« Reply #135 on: June 07, 2010, 09:28:39 pm »
Yes sorry mate i was the competition, apologies for bumping up the price at the end, i thought that i might get them in the dying seconds, gutted i didnt because they looked like a good set so fair play to ya glad ya got them. The other ones the same guy was selling didnt look to good which is why i think they went for less. The ones you got were defo worth the money  :happy2:

Looking at the ones with the buy it now on but like you i have the missus dilemma, she wouldn't be happy as ive already had a full set of gti brakes and currently a full set of R32 ones, so these would have to be sneeky ones  :grin:

Decisions...decisions.....The heart says yes the head say Nooooooooo!!!

Gav

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #136 on: June 07, 2010, 11:13:00 pm »
No worries, Gav. That's the nature of ebay. I put in what would have been the max I was prepared to pay on Saturday. £255 was my max
 :signLOL:

The ones in good nick seem to go for that. I think John was lucky to snag a set for £235 or whatever it was and the set available on the 'buy it now' may be difficult to beat. The 'SWMBO factor' is always a tricky one - I figured that dishonesty was the best policy  :jumping:

I didn't fancy the ones you mentioned - the looked like they had been dragged behind the car by the brake lines!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 11:18:18 pm by muckipup »

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #138 on: June 07, 2010, 11:19:31 pm »
I always use www.auctionsniper.com lets you bid in the last 1-2 seconds priceless, the other person is watching it go 1 min, 30 secs, 10 seconds, I've won  :laugh: no its gone to someone else  :sick: - hell how did that happen, you've been sniped  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2010, 11:21:03 pm »
i like that :happy2: would be really p!ssed if someone did that to me though :grin:

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #140 on: June 07, 2010, 11:22:12 pm »
I always use www.auctionsniper.com lets you bid in the last 1-2 seconds priceless, the other person is watching it go 1 min, 30 secs, 10 seconds, I've won  :laugh: no its gone to someone else  :sick: - hell how did that happen, you've been sniped  :happy2:

You sneaky bar steward, John!  :wink: (says he while downloading the software  :laugh: )

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #141 on: June 08, 2010, 02:03:11 pm »
  :evilgrin: :evilgrin: :evilgrin:

Plenty of other top tips but can't give too much away :wink:

If I ever give up my day management consultancy job budding ebay reseller career waiting :grin:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #142 on: June 08, 2010, 09:44:28 pm »
Chaps this is hotting up a little with a few guys looking for the fitting kits, just one important thing that I forgot to mention thats pretty important is that with multipot calipers invariably the pistons are staggered in terms of size.

Its important to remember that the small piston MUST "see" the disc first so imagine the disc rotating within the caliper the small piston must get first bite, so on a golf where the caliper "leads" instead of "lagging" the small piston will be at the top.

On a porsche the calipers "lag" on the front, this means that the calipers need reversing for a golf application.

Very briefly the left side connecting pipe goes to the right side where the bleed nipples reside as standard and vice versa, I do it as a matter of course on refurb calipers but anybody doing a DIY needs to have a little look at this diagram

Any snags simply PM me, the best method for removing the connecting pipes is not a 10mm spanner, much better is a large 8" pair of vice grips and sharp pressure until they give a crack and then use the spanner! Its actually 10 times more straightforward than Ive described!!!

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #143 on: June 09, 2010, 12:29:24 am »
Hi Dave, I of course fitted the calipers with the bleed nipples at the top without swapping for the connecting pipe and reversing the calipers so I have the larger piston leading (i guess), whilst I understand totally what I need to do, I am not motivated to take the calipers off again, do the nipple pipe swaps, refit re bleed etc, you mentioned that is was pretty important - why? What is the practical difference of not having the smaller piston leading - worse braking, squeeling, dangerous???

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2010, 06:22:23 am »
Hi John

My sincere apologies mate - should have mentioned it

Thinking back to Hydraulics 101, Lesson 1. Assuming no friction at all on the seals or piston, the smallest piston in any small/large hydraulic setup will "deploy" first, simply put when you brake lightly the samll piston will be doing most of the work until you really press the pedal at which case the bigger piston joins the party.

So to avoid the stronger piston doing most of the light work they need reversing as above

This avoids the pad "tapering" within the caliper over time and gives you even wear

It also makes the pedal very progressive - if you like them now - you'll like them even better if you cross them over!!

Its really no biggy

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #145 on: June 09, 2010, 08:16:19 am »
Thanks dave, no probs, thats a little job for me sat! Will also check the big reds on my 993 as they were big blacks from a 928S4 which I fitted as an upgrade (same caliper as 993 TT big reds) on these I did fit them the other way round and swapped the connecting pipes over. Do all twin pots have a small piston and a large one? and in particular do the big reds? Thanks again cheers John P.S. I will see if I can have a go fitting the pescara's as well when doing the brakes, haven't fogotten just been maxxed :-)

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #146 on: June 09, 2010, 04:03:11 pm »
Unlucky John, I would have done the same thing.

My calipers arrived today and, as far as I can see through muck, seem to be in good condition. The only down-side was that they didn't come with 4 anti-sqeal dampers as I had hoped and they are over a tenner a pop (and a couple of missing nipple caps, ahem! :ashamed: ).

One I get beyond the muck I will see if I can do a DIY repaint or if this is a refurb job for Super Dave 8)

PS any tips on where to get reasonably priced road pads like Pagids or Texstar?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2010, 04:07:24 pm by muckipup »

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #147 on: June 09, 2010, 04:08:48 pm »
you need the pad holder at the top, spring loaded held down with the through pin, but I really wouldn't bother with the anti squeel dampers, i have changed the pads many times on my old 944S2 and many many times on my track 993 and I never use the dampers just put a good smear of copa slip on the back and they never squeel, savers money time and effort, plus find most of porsche club guys do the same with their brake pads, prob why yours never had them in anyway.

I diy painted mine as cheapest option by far and within a couple of days covered in brake dust anyway so why spend the extra on a concours job  - must admit tho the oe factory powder coated calipers on my porsche look bloody georgeous next to the crap diy paint job on my boxster calipers......................but my fatter wallet also looks great ;-) Fatter with bloody receipts tho!!

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #148 on: June 09, 2010, 04:14:36 pm »
muckipup pm sent

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #149 on: June 09, 2010, 04:28:19 pm »
Cheers  :happy2:

Yup, always got away with a good blob of copper grease myself but wasn't sure if the Boxster calipers were more prone to squeal thus the dampers. I have the pins and brackets though (not the caliper bolts but guessing Dave has these as part of the kit or I can get for a couple of quid each)