Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 421306 times)

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
Re: NQS BBK - A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit... Another Guinea Pig
« Reply #165 on: June 12, 2010, 01:18:16 pm »
Nice one Gav, they look to be in good nick!

Cheers pal,

Yes they are in great nick mate, i feel bad even thinking of painting them. He cleaned them up for me and they are like new, quite suprised to be honest. Picked them up off the lad in Manchester when i was passing through. Been working in Leeds but live in Telford.

He's got load of porsche parts, he says most of the wheels and brakes he sells are for VW boys  :smiley:

Hope the missus doesn't read this  :signLOL:

Gav

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
Re: NQS BBK - A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit.. The momentum grows..
« Reply #166 on: June 12, 2010, 02:01:55 pm »
Here is a pic of mine after I cleaned them up with Fairy (good tip from DavB), a dishwasher (waste of time) and a Brillo pad.  If you zoom in you will see some cracks on the rubber boot on one side but I am not sure if I should be replacing them or if they will be OK

« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 02:07:54 pm by muckipup »

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #167 on: June 12, 2010, 05:34:17 pm »
They look really good.....

You're going to have that seal replaced and the piston checked for corrosion, if you post them to me I'll lube em up and check em over for you and ship them back with the carriers/hoses/bolts.

I've got spare seals here they'll be as good as new once you get them back no charge  :happy2:

If theres enough interest I'll try to do a fixed price refurb on these calipers, already painting some for somebody in a funky colour.

Maybe 110 quid instead of the 150 I normally charge for 4 pots, within that I could get a small "pot" going for new seals, so if you got a crap pair it would cost the same within reason.

Turnaround would be 2-3 weeks however

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #168 on: June 12, 2010, 08:30:25 pm »
They look really good.....

You're going to have that seal replaced and the piston checked for corrosion, if you post them to me I'll lube em up and check em over for you and ship them back with the carriers/hoses/bolts.

I've got spare seals here they'll be as good as new once you get them back no charge  :happy2:

If theres enough interest I'll try to do a fixed price refurb on these calipers, already painting some for somebody in a funky colour.

Maybe 110 quid instead of the 150 I normally charge for 4 pots, within that I could get a small "pot" going for new seals, so if you got a crap pair it would cost the same within reason.

Turnaround would be 2-3 weeks however

You're a star, Dave. I would like to take you up on that offer  :happy2: In fact, I would like to go +1 for the refurb even if you don't get enough takers for the fixed price (I know that I will never get things looking as good as the pictures you posted earlier with the tin of Hammerite in my garage). I think I will stick with postbox red rather than funky colours as I don't think tartan calipers would work even with my Scottish heritage  :signLOL:

Would you mind PMing me your address please?

I managed to pop one off the pistons out and extend the others on one of the calipers (using the old fluid line which was still attached to one of the calipers when I received it, a bit of tubing and a foot pump of all things. Don't ask!  :stupid: and I'm thinking 'what am I doing? why don't I just sent these to Dave B?' .

Extending the pistons showed that I need to replace 3 if not all 4 of the rubber boots and whatever on the other side so I think you'll need to factor that into the cost. The seal and piston looked ok in the one that popped out but showed how much water I had let in while cleaning them up so I blew some compressed air through each and are now drying out (I hope) with the bleed nipples off.

I went for those Brembrake discs and kept it simple with a set of Textar pads.

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #169 on: June 12, 2010, 08:52:56 pm »
PM on the way :happy2:

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #170 on: June 14, 2010, 05:34:36 pm »
I ordered some Textar pads online for these calipers and curiously got a set of Jurid pads AND Bosch pads despite only paying for one set :stupid: . Does anyone know if either of these are rebadged Textars or other TMD compound?  Never knew Bosch did pads so which should I use or send them both back and demand the Textars???

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #171 on: June 14, 2010, 05:42:27 pm »
Did they come from Brakes INternational????

Jurid are good pads. Porsche/BMW Oem and also originally supplied in Brembo BBK's

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #172 on: June 14, 2010, 05:51:57 pm »
Did they come from Brakes INternational????

Jurid are good pads. Porsche/BMW Oem and also originally supplied in Brembo BBK's

No, it was from GSF online (got my discs from Brakes Int). Bosch did a good job on my washing machine; wasn't sure about them for pads though. You reckon stick with Jurids rather than demand Textars?

PS - will get those calipers up to you for Wed or Thu  :happy2:

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2010, 06:00:38 pm »
I use both on my Porsche 993 track car, and in fact picked up a set of jurid for the front big reds and textar for back RS calipers, which are bigger than the boxster jobbies, both jurid and textar are oe porsche afaik, I have used both for years in my track car and they take serious punishment no probs, no squeel and stop extremely well. You will be very happy with the jurid.

as for bosh............ :rolleye:..................sell em on ebay  :wink:

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #174 on: June 14, 2010, 06:06:52 pm »
bosh

:signLOL: I like it

I'll hang on to the Jurids and save myself the hassle of returning them  :happy2:

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #175 on: June 20, 2010, 09:57:36 pm »
Dave i'll be ordering the kit off ya at the end of the month  :happy2:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #176 on: June 21, 2010, 01:51:32 pm »
 :happy2:

There should be a few install pics to come in the next week or two.

In the meantime, for those that have track/hooning plans for the kit, I'm just working on some bremtech 312's at the moment doing the maths (epicycloid equations) [sounds good doesnt it!! haven't a clue what it means] to come up with a cnc programme for these J hook design disc faces.

Alcon did it then AP jumped on the band wagon, apparently the inner "J" scavenges dust/debris and the outer "J" ejects it, they're quieter than normal grooved competition discs and have more even heat dissipation.

Interstingly enough the maths are the same ones that Harp makers use to design the shape of the musical instrument and considering they've been around since the 14th century I think thats bloody clever!!

Anyway J hook design disc faces coming to a 312mm disc near you soon (hopefully cost permitting!!!)

« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:03:17 pm by DaveB1970 »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #177 on: June 21, 2010, 04:45:20 pm »
how awwsome will that be, really progressive, powerful lightweight 4 pot porshe calipers paired to lightweight two piece 312 discs,  now that, i would be up for :happy2:

who needs a bbk when these are out

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #178 on: June 21, 2010, 05:38:47 pm »
Exactly Sy, for me it was a no brainer in the end going the route I did, sound advice from DaveB and a testimonial from QD. Am extremely pleased with the set up I have and IMHO, based on currrent experiences are better than the alternatives I have had experience of driving. With brakes you need to do the maths, hydraulic radius, matching to the master cylinder etc........ :happy2:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Re: NQS BBK - A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit.. J Hook 312's FTW..
« Reply #179 on: June 28, 2010, 09:56:09 am »
Right after tonnes (well 5 lol!) PM's about the J Hook design discs I hurried them along.

It actually wasn't too bad to program in fairness, theres a lot of positive things being said about the technical benefits of J hook too much to ignore so here you have it gents the first ever available "Technically Accurate Harmonic Curve" 312mm J Hook Disc.

Cant wait to see these behind some porker calipers, think it'll give a great technical look with great performance.

These aren't done on a template, there properly calculated geometric curves calculated every 10th of a degree and 0.2mm on radius, the groove depth goes to New Thickness - Min thickness / 2 so no grooves= change discs.

Aesthetically the Juries out I suppose, I'm getting my head round how they look, probably better on than off a car.

Pics!