Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 421361 times)

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Re: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..Steve P goes all EasyJet!!!!
« Reply #210 on: July 21, 2010, 02:04:32 pm »
Dave

I'd strongly suggest you use the proper Porsche anti rattle shims, they just work.

They're expensive for what they are but once you settle on a pad manufacturer then buy some and stick em on

It avoids the need for lashings of copperslip etc

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #211 on: July 21, 2010, 03:03:36 pm »
Dave

I'd strongly suggest you use the proper Porsche anti rattle shims, they just work.

They're expensive for what they are but once you settle on a pad manufacturer then buy some and stick em on

It avoids the need for lashings of copperslip etc

Yeah, I had decided that if any squeels came back then that is what I would do. Kinda painful though as there is little change out of £65 for 4 of them with delivery and VAT when looking at Design911 or Fraserparts  :surprised:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #212 on: July 21, 2010, 03:53:03 pm »
Hi Dave

A little bit cheaper here

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Porsche_911_3.6_2004/p/Car-Parts/Brakes/Brake-Friction/Brake-Pads/?101339140&1&22df71167343859f5639361dfd47d4b34da7660b&BKPA

The ECP branches tend to keep them in stock haggle for 15% your local porsche centre can also give you 20% if he's in the mood, they're a service item so they can help with the price.

The price ECP quote is the same price as Porsche Dealers so haggle away for quiet brakes!! PS same as the 996 Front so if you see them on ebay get em bought

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #213 on: July 21, 2010, 03:56:40 pm »
Well spotted Dave  :happy2: I use ECP all the time but never thought to look for the vibration dampers for a Boxster there for whatever reason  :ashamed:

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #214 on: July 21, 2010, 06:26:10 pm »
If you say you are a Porsche Club GB member OPC's give you ~ 15% discount straight away ;-)

Obviously only applies if you are a member, I am not suggesting that anyone who is not a member claims to be one, but worth joining the club if you are going to be buying lots of bits from OPC's
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 06:27:55 pm by jmspear »

Offline White_Lady_170

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #215 on: July 22, 2010, 01:35:05 pm »
Anyone know whether the price quoted would be for one (as it says caliper (no "S")) or for a set of calipers and would they do the job instead of the porsche 4 pots?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PORSCHE-REPLACEMENT-BRAKE-4-POT-CALIPER-RED-CMB0369-/200385350677?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ea7e5cc15

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #216 on: July 22, 2010, 04:59:30 pm »
Finally got my easyjet coloured ones fitted today, pic's to follow  :happy2:

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #217 on: July 22, 2010, 11:33:35 pm »
Finally got my easyjet coloured ones fitted today, pic's to follow  :happy2:

Would be interested to hear what pads you are using and how you get on. My sqeals came back so Porsche anti-vibration shims ordered today.

Good news was that I had the car MOT'd today and brakes were fine. Still failed coz clowns at dealership sold me a car with a continental headlamp on the o/s  :fighting: I'll be having words with them  :mad:

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #218 on: July 22, 2010, 11:50:53 pm »
Finally got my easyjet coloured ones fitted today, pic's to follow  :happy2:

Would be interested to hear what pads you are using and how you get on. My sqeals came back so Porsche anti-vibration shims ordered today.

Good news was that I had the car MOT'd today and brakes were fine. Still failed coz clowns at dealership sold me a car with a continental headlamp on the o/s  :fighting: I'll be having words with them  :mad:

Yes ive also been debating what pads to use, the calipers came with some which are in good condition and barely worn, cant remember what make they are now though, will look tomorrow.

Dont really wanna mix these with new discs though!!

At the end of all this my brakes will be worth more than the car  :signLOL:

Muckipup where did you order your shims from, ECP?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 12:06:20 am by G4V VW »

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #219 on: July 23, 2010, 12:19:59 am »
Gav

I'd definetely use those pads for bedding in your new discs, if you put new pads into grooved discs then you can get say a 1000 miles worth of wear in only 200 miles.

If they're porsche OEM with the dampners attached then defo get them on, even if they're crap pads chuck em on for 200 miles or so.

Offline G4V VW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #220 on: July 23, 2010, 12:30:20 am »
Gav

I'd definetely use those pads for bedding in your new discs, if you put new pads into grooved discs then you can get say a 1000 miles worth of wear in only 200 miles.

If they're porsche OEM with the dampners attached then defo get them on, even if they're crap pads chuck em on for 200 miles or so.

Ok thanks for that Dave, will have a look tomorrow out of interest to see what make they are. ive just looked on that ECP link you put on here and they def didnt come with the shims. Ill get some ordered up i think. Cant be doing with the squeeling!!

Dave forgot to ask will you be able to put the porsche writing back on the calipers or will i need to get hold of some stickers?
If you can do it but it costs, let me know pal and i'll send some funds  :happy2:

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #221 on: July 23, 2010, 12:10:46 pm »
Muckipup where did you order your shims from, ECP?

Yup, they were as cheap as I could say but at £50 ish it was still painful   :sad1:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: July 23, 2010, 01:30:14 pm »
Gav

Red - White decals no problem

Dave

They're expensive but what price your sanity!

Had a few guys just place the shims in the pistons........they're sticky backed and need sticking to the back of the pads, apologies for stating the obvious!!

Another pair of calipers with shims and pads that look in good nick £0.01p start

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PORSCHE-BOXSTER-BREMBO-4POT-BRAKE-CALIPERS-FRONTS-DISCS_W0QQitemZ220641599977QQcategoryZ10408QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3907.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BIEW%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D20%26pmod%3D260628976644%26po%3DLLIW%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6920902690755001089

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #223 on: July 23, 2010, 01:40:06 pm »

Dave

They're expensive but what price your sanity!

Had a few guys just place the shims in the pistons........they're sticky backed and need sticking to the back of the pads, apologies for stating the obvious!!

Your not wrong! I am not getting much of a sqeal but it is like fingernails running down a blackboard to me.

Not sure what you mean about just placing the shims in the pistons. Do you mean they don't peel off the cover to the sticky-back shims?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:45:16 pm by muckipup »

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #224 on: July 23, 2010, 02:05:39 pm »
OK chaps, here are a few pictures of my progress...

First, the before and after (DaveB's refurb) pics again:

Nice and light, eh?

This is the problem that I had with the dust boots on most of the pistons and something that I would recommend you look out for when buying as they are approx. £12 for a pair! When the pistons were extended, these cracks were gaping holes

Here were the starting materials:

Socket set with good range of sizes and large (Size 10??) socket hex bit included. Not shown is the torque wrench as a lot of leverage was needed to remove the old carriers. The 3mm spacers were not needed in the end and the pad were sensor was crafted from a Porsche sensor and the connector from and the pad from the old calipers.

Here's the old disc & caliper (no that's not a Redstuff pad honest)

This bolt in the middle needs to come off. Same for the one at the top of the carrier. Plenty of force needed!. These are then used to attached DaveB's fitting kit albeit that they are bolten in from the other side after the disc is removed:

Here is a little tip I have for when the old caliper is removed and the brake line is open (don't laugh, this was a first for me)...Use a cap that fits the brake fluid reservoir and double up some cellophane and use it to seal the researvoir and creat a vacuum to minimise fluid loss over your driveway; I just use the Eezibleed cap. Second, the cap from the schrader valve on one of the kid's bikes kinda clips on to the end of the brake lines supplied by DaveB to give a reasonable seal. With the old one off and the new line quickly on, I lost about 1ml  :happy2:

Brake line connected up, new disc on (after shearing the disc retaining screw and drilling it out like John did) and calipers easily but firmly bolted to the new carriers (pads loosely fitted just to check that clearance was definitely there as it looked a little tight). Note, I asked Dave to leave the Porsche decal off on my calipers as I preferred the plain look:

As you can see, there is plenty of clearance between the disc and the caliper pegs after DaveB ground-off a mm or two:

Job's a good'un....but another tip - don't be stupid like me and leave one of the bleed nipples slightly open as powdercoated and laquered calipers don't like brake fluid. Luckily Hammerite smooth red in my garage covered this up nicely and it was not visible at all from the outside:

Finished job showing good clearance between calipers and 18" Zenith alloys on an Octavia

« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 02:48:31 pm by muckipup »