Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 421331 times)

Offline Tooly

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..With Install Pics
« Reply #255 on: August 12, 2010, 07:46:50 am »
16's are big enough radially! 3mm spacer on17" Monza's works well - £15 from ebay, they still leave some spigot showing so good to go

First post, just found this thread an looked through all 17 pages!

So 16" wheels will clear for sure? I realize that a spacer may be required (I already need a 3mm to clear the spokes on 18" BBS CV wheels) but I haven't been able to find confirmation of 16" wheels clearing on this side of the pond. I have the same kit but with a different brand adapter on my Golf.

USAWolfsburg

« Reply #256 on: August 28, 2010, 02:35:55 pm »
DaveB,

I sent you an email inquiring about buying the fitting kit from you. I have a couple questions I forgot to ask:

Any further progress on the 2-piece rotors?

Just to confirm, this setup will fit an MKVI (2010) GTI correct?

Cheers,
Duffy

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #257 on: August 28, 2010, 04:41:12 pm »
DaveB,

I sent you an email inquiring about buying the fitting kit from you. I have a couple questions I forgot to ask:

Any further progress on the 2-piece rotors?

Just to confirm, this setup will fit an MKVI (2010) GTI correct?

Cheers,
Duffy

Mk V and mk VI share same suspension platform so it will fit  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

USAWolfsburg

« Reply #258 on: August 28, 2010, 08:58:26 pm »
That's what I thought, just double checking.

Thanks!!

noktoto

« Reply #259 on: September 19, 2010, 10:41:25 pm »
Can anybody prepare pdf with profile of Boxster calipers with Golf adapters, something similar to that from "Wheel Fitment Instructions" on this page:

http://www.xyz-racing.com/brakekit3.php

Offline mYGeL

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • my Build Thread check it out
    • Email
« Reply #260 on: January 09, 2011, 03:01:42 pm »
hello :)

I wonder if you can supply mounting parts for Brembo 8pistons calipers?
togheter with rs6+ disc for an seat leon cupra -08 ?
thsi car :)
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=283972

sorry i know it is wrong calipers but i have them already but cant anyone that can help me with these parts :(

Also what does it cost to powdercoat them white?

I hope you can help me or tip me who can help me?

Thanks

Best regards// Michel
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:05:10 pm by mYGeL »

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #261 on: April 17, 2011, 09:05:19 pm »
Hi guys,

Some time ago I fitted DaveB's nqsbk. Everything is ok, haven't had a track day yet so I can't say much about the performance. I have just fitted the Pagid Orange pads because I wanted to blend in the discs. With the OEM Porsche Brembo pads the braking power is much better than with the OEM GTI brakes.

But there is one thing that might help you guys... Before I bought the kit I was wondering if it fits my 16 inch winter tires. I searched high and low for confirmation but could only get bits and pieces. So, today I made a check to see if my winter tires clear the brakes:

1. In order to have the spokes clear my OEM Mugello Rims (6,5 x 16 ET 50) I need about 8mm of spacer. BUT this is not all... If I put a 10mm spacer the brakes WILL NOT fit the rim radially. This is because the inside of the rim is not straight. So I would have to put more spacers (or a bigger one).

2. In order for the brakes to clear the rims radially I need aprox a 15mm spacer. This will just clear the brakes but it is to close for comfort for my taste so I will go with a 20mm hubcentric spacer. This makes the rim get outside the wheel arches (in the photo below the car is jacked so this is not the real look; I just didn't have longer bolts so I did not feel confident enough to let the car down).

And I tried the track rims once again. I am talking about the OEM Goal Anthracite 7,5 x 17 ET 50 rims . Well if you have the nqsbbk and you want to buy these wheels think again or be prepared to use a minimum 3mm spacer. I decided to use a 10mm hubcentric spacer instead.

Cheers

Offline Spin

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #262 on: July 22, 2011, 05:01:50 pm »
Very interested in doing this as an affordable option on my newly aquired Mk6 GTI, I too have a brake fetish and find the standard set up lacking,  my previous car a BMW had the Brembo 6 pot conversion supplied by BMW performance and the one before that an 8P S3,  this car was used by AP for the development of their 6 pot kit.

I'm not expecting this economy set up to be quite in the same league but what are peoples thoughts now they have been running the set up for some time.

I do approx 6 track days per year but the rest of the time the car gets a fairly easy life - any advice much appreciated,  cheers  :happy2:
Carbon Grey 3 Dr Mk6 GTi 2.0T,  Milltek TB Race non resonated, ITG Intake, Revo Stage 2 & AP Racing BBK - Sold.
BMW M135i- Pretty Good,  but a bit ugly.

"Fast Cars Are Safer"

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #263 on: July 22, 2011, 05:33:18 pm »
I would also be interested in peoples thoughts on this. I'm thinking of it for the PoloGTI but not 100% sure about the cylinder size match as my understanding is that the pedal would have to travel further to get full braking?
Golf R gone.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #264 on: July 22, 2011, 05:36:50 pm »
I would also be interested in peoples thoughts on this. I'm thinking of it for the PoloGTI but not 100% sure about the cylinder size match as my understanding is that the pedal would have to travel further to get full braking?

+1

i know alot of guys are looking into new brakes at the moment on the various 1.4TSI forums but none want BBK's. so this would be ideal

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #265 on: July 22, 2011, 05:38:19 pm »

I can report on these as of 1st aug, booked in for fitting  :party:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #266 on: July 22, 2011, 05:45:02 pm »

+1

i know alot of guys are looking into new brakes at the moment on the various 1.4TSI forums but none want BBK's. so this would be ideal

Hurdy am i right in thinking you have alrwady looked into this?  If so what calipers and discs were you thinking.  danza made an interesting pst in Blades Polo thread ref Mk1 cupra R 4 pots with readily available 2 piece discs

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #267 on: July 22, 2011, 06:13:19 pm »
I had this setup on my Mk V and latterly my MkVI, gives fantastic pedal feel and very noticably increased stopping power over the std setup. I even had the sales rep at my dealership drive my MkV (for part ex purposes) back to back with a mkVI R and he commented on how much better my brakes were than the R's  :happy2:

That was in terms of feel (once he removed his face from my windscreen first time he went to stop) and outright stopping power.

I had the brakes on both cars for about 10k miles and rate the setup very highly, now selling the complete setup as have switched to a GTD and direct line insurance who are v cheap for a std GTD but ££££ punish you for ANY mods, once it is out of warranty (1.5 yrs) it will have a chip and this setup but until then it is std  :sad1:

Cant comment on a Polo but the bias front to rear works on the mkV GTI and MkVI GTI porsche brakes on front and std on back.

Offline rex

• Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #268 on: July 22, 2011, 06:58:15 pm »
Well guys, I think it all has to do with power and weight...
For my car 1270kg and 155bhp, the brakes are truly great. I had 2 serious track days till now and there are no minuses.
BUT, putting these on a 300bhp mk6 GTI (if you have lets say stage 2 or, 260-270 bhp for stage one) is, I think, not enough for serious tracking. It will work truly well for everything but extreme tracking. The way I see it, the discs are the weakest link in this setup. I think they are too thin.

About the Polo GTI, I think this bbk is ideal for this car. It weighs about the same as mine but with more power (especially if there is a stage 1). And, it also allows for 16 inch rims (this was one of the selling bits for me).
As I know the stock polo GTI brakes have 288mm discs. Am I correct? I think the back has 256mm disks. If this is the case, I had these brake as standard. Now I have this BBK with stock GTI rears (286mm) and this works fine.

One more thing that I really like about this bbk is that it comes just like you want...
When looking around for BBK I noticed some BBK have drilled discs (not quite you want if you track a lot) or DS2500 or similar pads as standard. After talking with DaveB I realized what pads and dics I needed and now I have the setup that suites me.
I like this kit a lot!

With a lightweight 2 piece disc (I am not sure if DaveB can provide these, but, for example Tarox can for 600 EURO a pair  :fighting:) this setup is also a very very light one. Caliper 2.5kg + pads 0.5 kg + bracket 1 kg + lightweight disc ~ 5-6 kg (stock is 8.6). Please correct me if I am wrong but these figures are from memory.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 07:00:32 pm by rex »

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #269 on: July 22, 2011, 07:45:35 pm »

When looking around for BBK I noticed some BBK have drilled discs (not quite you want if you track a lot) or DS2500 or similar pads as standard. After talking with DaveB I realized what pads and dics I needed and now I have the setup that suites me.
I like this kit a lot!

actually disagree with the drilled comment above, if you track a lot, and I do on my track 991 (993), the biggest issue by far is heat dissapation, you need all the help you can get and need drilling and venting ideally, I have gone twin turbo big red on the front of my 911 and 993 RS (pretty much same size as normal 911 fronts) on the back on my track 993 and that only weighs 1180kgs, the big brakes are drilled and vented and big (helps heat dissapation) I can get the same braking on smaller disks with smaller Porsche calipers but the heat build up kills the braking. What you get with high speed, heavy braking and repeated heavy braking is brake fade and often desposition of material from the pads onto the disk causing what feels like a warped disk.

The real benefit of the porsche calipers is two fold IMHO, firstly you get four pistons, this helps massively with feel and earlier application of braking power for a given pedal pressure, plus much better control and also as has been mentioned lighter weight.