Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 421697 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=cp5agejj94uii5jh2jdkngs595&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..With Install Pics
« Reply #495 on: December 30, 2011, 06:49:17 pm »

Complimented my NQS BBK with j hooked s3 rears. Added front j hooked rotors and pagid blue pads.

Going to bed in / set the pads and take them off an save them or the summers track days.  Only need oem discs and oem Porsche pads for daily theyre still very good.

Adding ate super blue fluid on Monday :)

Wouldn't have thought there is any point in bedding in a set of pads and then removing them for use later... the profile of the disc will have changed by the time you need to use them.

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #496 on: December 30, 2011, 06:52:54 pm »
Yes, but the pads are already 'tempered' and if I understood Mike correctly
he will swap both rotors and pads for daily use.
So they match each other like when he bedded them in. Pads and discs have
to be marked of course.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 06:54:28 pm by the bruce »
"You get what you pay for."

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=cp5agejj94uii5jh2jdkngs595&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #497 on: December 30, 2011, 06:53:30 pm »

Ahh ok if swapping pads and discs together that makes more sense.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #498 on: December 30, 2011, 07:21:02 pm »

Ahh ok if swapping pads and discs together that makes more sense.

That's the plan.  :happy2:  bed in the Pagid blues and jhooked rotors, take them off (as a set) and use OEM 312s and OEM Porsche pads for daily  :happy2:

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #499 on: December 30, 2011, 07:31:58 pm »
How much are the Porsche pads?

Guess they come from Textar or Pagid.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #500 on: December 30, 2011, 08:42:21 pm »
How much are the Porsche pads?

Guess they come from Textar or Pagid.

Direct from textar 70€ plus German VAT with my discount. Or about 300€ + from Porsche

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #501 on: December 30, 2011, 09:46:55 pm »
  :jumping:
 :fighting:
 :stupid:

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
« Reply #502 on: January 01, 2012, 06:50:04 pm »
Can i use standard GTI discs without having the unswept area machined? I guess this will just mean the unswept area will look a bit rusty and untidy.

I was going to buy some drilled discs with the unswept area removed from dave, but he seems very busy atm so may just get some standard GTI discs for the time being.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #503 on: January 01, 2012, 06:53:36 pm »
Can i use standard GTI discs without having the unswept area machined? I guess this will just mean the unswept area will look a bit rusty and untidy.

I was going to buy some drilled discs with the unswept area removed from dave, but he seems very busy atm so may just get some standard GTI discs for the time being.

I ran that configuration with OEM Porsche pads and it performed fine.

Just the prevention of rust and saving of another 300gramms  :happy2:

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #504 on: January 01, 2012, 09:26:39 pm »
Ben

Its certainly cheaper, the whole point of the NQSBBK was the 75% rule.....  which was to give 75% of the performance of the normal BBK's but saving 75% of the £2k kits, the process of mounting the brembo "raw" casting in the lathe to remove the 7mm to min thickness and then remove to a vertical miller to drill or J hookand then powder coat takes quite a bit of time, with the investment I've got now its easier to do things 15 at a time than what I used to do which was 3 or 4 at a time.

So..... £225-£250 for the proper job 312's sounds expensive even to me and Im selling them! That said you'd pay £160 for some OEM R32 discs

Not withstanding that if you've got 6 or 7 track days planned for the year plus a ring trip and you're the kind of chap that gets up at 5am on a summer sunday to go for a blat around your favourite roads in your stage 2/2+ eddie then I wouldnt be without them - seriously

Our drilling CNC Program ensures no hot spots which helps to prevent premature cracking in the drilled discs and the J Hooking isnt invasive...

Somebody was asking after the 2 piece 315mm option, its going to be a non starter down to rotor cost so heres the plan......

There is a single piece billet machined caliper in development, its going to be backward compatible with the Cayman caliper but will take the larger deeper pad from the 996 Carrera 2/4 this eliminates the requirement for disc area removal as the pad and disc now match in height.

The piston height will come down allowing a slimmer caliper that will work on all OEM wheels without any spacer at all, its also going to be very tighly cowled around the pistons to weight save and might have some aero on the back for cooling purposes in true touring car styleeee....

Best bit is being able to specify my own piston sizes to really ensure we get as much out of the Master Cylinder as possible, there is a MC upgrade available for the Mk5 but it aint cheap so its nice to be specific

The Cayman Caliper tops out on disc diameter at about 320mm the new caliper will go to 330mm and maybe 28mm wide enabling an affordable AP Racing 2 piece option on the discs.

Apart from all the tech stuff it will have brembo style dust seals and be able to use the Porsche Pad dampeners for good road manners

Lots of design work to do, found myself a Draughty, worst bit will be destroying a pair of calipers for measuring purposes

Offline taff-turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #505 on: January 01, 2012, 09:32:37 pm »
@ daveb1970 plans sounds really promising   :happy2:

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #506 on: January 01, 2012, 09:39:07 pm »
I can do your drawings Dave...

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #507 on: January 01, 2012, 09:41:14 pm »

Bloody hell  :laugh:  sounds like 2012s winter upgrade  :signLOL:

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #508 on: January 01, 2012, 10:25:53 pm »
Somebody was asking after the 2 piece 315mm option, its going to be a non starter down to rotor cost so heres the plan......

Guess it's been me.  :smiley:

There is a single piece billet machined caliper in development, its going to be backward compatible with the Cayman caliper but will take the larger deeper pad from the 996 Carrera 2/4 this eliminates the requirement for disc area removal as the pad and disc now match in height.

The piston height will come down allowing a slimmer caliper that will work on all OEM wheels without any spacer at all, its also going to be very tighly cowled around the pistons to weight save and might have some aero on the back for cooling purposes in true touring car styleeee....

Best bit is being able to specify my own piston sizes to really ensure we get as much out of the Master Cylinder as possible, there is a MC upgrade available for the Mk5 but it aint cheap so its nice to be specific

The Cayman Caliper tops out on disc diameter at about 320mm the new caliper will go to 330mm and maybe 28mm wide enabling an affordable AP Racing 2 piece option on the discs.

Apart from all the tech stuff it will have brembo style dust seals and be able to use the Porsche Pad dampeners for good road manners

Lots of design work to do, found myself a Draughty, worst bit will be destroying a pair of calipers for measuring purposes

Stunning project !!  :happy2:

Much more expensive than a NQSBBK?

Offline Been-0

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #509 on: January 05, 2012, 08:29:50 pm »
Hi

I'm new here and don't know if this has been mentioned before, I've been through majority of the pages and can't see it being mentioned.

Why not use the 17z calipers of the front on the Porsche Cayenne, VW Tourag or Audi Q7?? There's plenty at breakers because most people are more interested in the 18z calipers.
18z calipers run 350mm rotors(fink you can pick these up for £380ish brand new from VW).
17z calipers run 330mm rotors (which are the same as the r32? don't know about the price brand new). I've been told this uses bigger pistons so is suppose to be better than the 18z unsure of this though.

No need for custom brackets, direct fit 6 pot calipers just need some new bolts & the right SS lines. Unless I've missed the point of this thread - sorry.