Make a donation

Author Topic: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....  (Read 421321 times)

Offline AndyED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
  • ED30
    • Email
Re: NQS BBK A Not Quite So Big Brake Kit..NQS Rear mods now.....
« Reply #780 on: March 14, 2013, 08:08:51 pm »
:sad:
Do you have any suggestion not to rub the tires in the fenders and still have the nqsbbk behind stock pescara wheels?  :notworthy:
Is there a chance with the 8mm spacers (so virtually ET 43)?

I'm pretty sure they will clear with 8mm spacers. But will have to wait for someone with Pesky's to confirm.

I have 12mm spacers all-round (Monza II's) and lowered on H&R springs (30mm drop). I did the screw mod on the front and now no rubbing but I do get some rubbing at the rear over humps and dips in the road, when the car is full (as I found out last week when there were 4 of us including my 18 stone mate in the back...the rubbing was only happening on his side :grin:)

I run EXACTLY this, absolutely fine, no problem whatsoever and still space left in the arches. I'm on H&R springs which lower the car 30mm with 8mm spacers on Pescaras.

Hope this helps.

Andy.

Offline spb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #781 on: March 15, 2013, 07:38:13 am »
Not that only it helps... it made my day  :happy2: . I was really thinking to sell the install kit that I bought from Dave and the calipers. But not I'm looking to buy some 8mm HR hubcentric spacers  :pomppomp:.

Just to nail the conclusion, for later readers in the same situation as I am, and Kalpsn2000 please correct me if I'm wrong... the nqsbkk is cleared behind pescara wheels with 8mm spacers and this kind of extra with doesn't make the tires rub under hard cornering with stock dampers (no even with dropped suspension).

Offline rex

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 50
  • -Receive: 74
« Reply #782 on: March 15, 2013, 07:44:00 am »
Basically, yes....
1. You only need a 3mm spacer to clear the Pescara wheels.
2. With the 8mm spacer you will not experience any tire rub when driving normally. I had tire rub with ET50 on the Nurburgring!

Offline spb

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #783 on: March 15, 2013, 07:47:05 am »
It's clear what Rex is trying to do... making me sell the kit  :P

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 14
  • The CC GT 200
« Reply #784 on: March 15, 2013, 08:44:33 am »
Hi Guys,
Why we're on the subject of wheels, I have ordered the NQSBBK and want to know if it will fit behind my ClassiX. My GT Sport is on stock suspension at the moment but I may lower it at a later date. My biggest concern is fitting my new. Rakes behind my wheels. Or will I need spacers?
Cheers

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #785 on: March 15, 2013, 09:24:53 am »
It's clear what Rex is trying to do... making me sell the kit  :P
Nope, my friend. I'm just trying to give you as much info as I can  :wink:.

Hi Guys,
Why we're on the subject of wheels, I have ordered the NQSBBK and want to know if it will fit behind my ClassiX. My GT Sport is on stock suspension at the moment but I may lower it at a later date. My biggest concern is fitting my new. Rakes behind my wheels. Or will I need spacers?
Cheers
I don't think anyone tried that but I think you will need some spacers.
Measure the distance from the brake disk to the rim spokes (to the left, at the point where the caliper ends in the picture below). With a nqsbbk you need about 62mm of distance (from memory). So if you have 57mm (like the normal 17 inch GTI rims have) than you need 5mm of spacers (and so on).

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #786 on: March 15, 2013, 10:20:50 am »
Damn that looks close :confused:  I saw someone smash a caliper off a Landy once... not the cheapest of fixes.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #787 on: March 15, 2013, 11:34:01 am »
It was only a trial fit and those are OEM Goals. I needed 3mm spacers and I bough 10mm hubcentric ones(the 8mm H&R were not available 2 years ago).

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #788 on: March 15, 2013, 11:43:56 am »
Basically, yes....
2. With the 8mm spacer you will not experience any tire rub when driving normally.
I had tire rub with ET50 on the Nurburgring!

That's the point. It isn't enough having sufficient clearence at "normal" driving.
It needs to be sufficient in any driving situation.
Even with 8.0" ET45 + 225 wide tyres + fender screw mod rubbing may occur.
If someone says with ET41 it won't rub he probably drives like a granny. That
doesn't help.
Again, ride height does NOT affect the path the wheel travels. You aren't safe
from rubbing at stock ride height.
"You get what you pay for."

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #789 on: March 15, 2013, 11:54:24 am »
Basically, yes....
2. With the 8mm spacer you will not experience any tire rub when driving normally.
I had tire rub with ET50 on the Nurburgring!

That's the point. It isn't enough having sufficient clearence at "normal" driving.
It needs to be sufficient in any driving situation.
Even with 8.0" ET45 + 225 wide tyres + fender screw mod rubbing may occur.
If someone says with ET41 it won't rub he probably drives like a granny. That
doesn't help.
Again, ride height does NOT affect the path the wheel travels. You aren't safe
from rubbing at stock ride height.

True but I would have thought it would be less likely due to more clearance?
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline Biano44

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 14
  • The CC GT 200
« Reply #790 on: March 15, 2013, 04:32:20 pm »
Hi Guys,
Cheers
I don't think anyone tried that but I think you will need some spacers.
Measure the distance from the brake disk to the rim spokes (to the left, at the point where the caliper ends in the picture below). With a nqsbbk you need about 62mm of distance (from memory). So if you have 57mm (like the normal 17 inch GTI rims have) than you need 5mm of spacers (and so on).

[/quote]

Thanks for that Rex. I have measured the distance this afternoon and it's 55mm from the disk to the inside spokes of the wheel.....Are you saying that an7-8mm spacer would be just enough or plenty? or in other words, would I be better going for 10mm spacers just to be sure?

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #791 on: March 15, 2013, 06:30:01 pm »
True but I would have thought it would be less likely due to more clearance?

Indeed, rubbing is less likely and will occur less often at stock height.  :drinking:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline AndyED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
  • ED30
    • Email
« Reply #792 on: March 15, 2013, 07:18:28 pm »
Not that only it helps... it made my day  :happy2: . I was really thinking to sell the install kit that I bought from Dave and the calipers. But not I'm looking to buy some 8mm HR hubcentric spacers  :pomppomp:.

Just to nail the conclusion, for later readers in the same situation as I am, and Kalpsn2000 please correct me if I'm wrong... the nqsbkk is cleared behind pescara wheels with 8mm spacers and this kind of extra with doesn't make the tires rub under hard cornering with stock dampers (no even with dropped suspension).

The reason I went with 8mm is not for the extra clearance but purely because the 'hubcentric' option only comes in at 8mm+ from H&R and I wanted to make sure the spacers were connected with the hubs as well as possible rather than just 'sitting' against them.

Do it, you won't regret it.

Andy.

Offline rex

• Thank You
« Reply #793 on: March 22, 2013, 04:54:41 pm »
Thanks for that Rex. I have measured the distance this afternoon and it's 55mm from the disk to the inside spokes of the wheel.....Are you saying that an7-8mm spacer would be just enough or plenty? or in other words, would I be better going for 10mm spacers just to be sure?

I think both 8mm and 10mm hubcentric spacers will do the trick!
Personally, I would go with the 8mm one (if it ends up not to be ok, although by my calculations you will have about 3-4mm of clearance, I am sure you will be able to sell them without loosing anything).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 04:57:12 pm by rex »

Offline Ess_Three

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #794 on: March 27, 2013, 04:46:36 am »
Is there a definitive answer to the spacer size required for 8.0"x18" ET50 BBS CH025s to clear these brakes?
Will 8mm do the job?