Make a donation

Author Topic: Seibon Carbon Wings  (Read 17177 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Seibon Carbon Wings
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 10:49:27 pm »
Hi Jake  :smiley:

Did you refit the oem wheel arch liners with the carbon wings?

Yes, but to be 100% functional you need to widen them so they rest on the inside of the fender  :happy2:

....Is that what you did? Easy or tricky?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 11:08:37 pm »
Hi Jake  :smiley:

Did you refit the oem wheel arch liners with the carbon wings?

Yes, but to be 100% functional you need to widen them so they rest on the inside of the fender  :happy2:

....Is that what you did? Easy or tricky?

I haven't done anything but i should,use dual component araldit and some plastic of a similar kind ad the wheel arch liners is my thought on it  :smiley:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 05:45:50 pm »
How much are the carbon wings?

In Denmark they are about 710£  :laugh:

I admit the wider arch is a bonus BUT, wooooooah there they come with a hefty price tag.  Lovely touch with the R detail too.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2011, 05:58:08 pm »
My front wheel arches need repainting and the first quote I've had back would cover the cost of one carbon wing! It's tempting except that I'd have to add the cost of painting the carbon.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 05:08:39 pm »
My front wheel arches need repainting and the first quote I've had back would cover the cost of one carbon wing! It's tempting except that I'd have to add the cost of painting the carbon.

i'm guessing a front end respray due to stonechips?  surely you can get a better price than the near £800 mark, although if thats not the case you have found the perfect justification for going carbon :)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 05:14:57 pm »

i'm guessing a front end respray due to stonechips?  surely you can get a better price than the near £800 mark, although if thats not the case you have found the perfect justification for going carbon :)

....For some reason I don't have many stonechips to my front end. The ones I do have are all on the front splitter which is fibreglass and tends to receive minor repairs once a year. Quote so far is £388 incl the wretched vat for re-doing both front wing arches. A single carbon wing would cost about £400 unpainted.

Rather than further hijack Jake's review thread I think I'll start a new thread and even include a vote option.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 05:21:17 pm »

....For some reason I don't have many stonechips to my front end. The ones I do have are all on the front splitter which is fibreglass and tends to receive minor repairs once a year. Quote so far is £388 incl the wretched vat for re-doing both front wing arches. A single carbon wing would cost about £400 unpainted.

Rather than further hijack Jake's review thread I think I'll start a new thread and even include a vote option.

As this debate is relevant to justify the buying of this product, please feel free to continue RR  :drinking:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 05:47:26 pm »

As this debate is relevant to justify the buying of this product, please feel free to continue RR  :drinking:

....Oh, okay  :drinking: Thanks.

In other words you want the opportunity to persuade me (easily done with carbon products) to justify to myself spending large sums of money on further things I don't really need.

I better re-read your first post to see how you justified yours!.............

Aha! So I should 'accidentally' nudge an obstacle so that my fender needs repair replacement.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 05:50:05 pm by RedRobin »

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 05:53:16 pm »

As this debate is relevant to justify the buying of this product, please feel free to continue RR  :drinking:

....Oh, okay  :drinking: Thanks.

In other words you want the opportunity to persuade me (easily done with carbon products) to justify to myself spending large sums of money on further things I don't really need.

I better re-read your first post to see how you justified yours!

It was easy for me, a bloke didn't know how to drive in a roundabout with 2 lanes and changed lanes and bend my left wing, badabum badabing 2 CF wings on order, and it nearly didn't hurt  :grin:  :wink:
No seriously, the 10mm wider on each side was the reason for me doing it, the CF was a bonus. But as a wise man has told me, CF is for racing not road, meaning that a 100% CF product are very hard to live with on the road, as it's very flimsy and do transfer noisy much more than GF or steel. But you already know that all aftermarket parts has pros and cons  :drinking:

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 05:56:07 pm »
I guess you have the dreaded mk5 rusting wheel arches Robin? Lots of people have had it fixed under the 12 year rust cover but imo unless they bead blast your wings the rust will just come back through at some point.
Carbon wings will solve it, it all depends how long you are keeping the car for of cause, I do find it a shame to cover them up though.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 05:58:33 pm by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 06:30:37 pm »

I guess you have the dreaded mk5 rusting wheel arches Robin? Lots of people have had it fixed under the 12 year rust cover but imo unless they bead blast your wings the rust will just come back through at some point.

Carbon wings will solve it, it all depends how long you are keeping the car for of cause, you could leave them carbon as i find it a shame to cover them up.

....Yes, those Seibon carbon wings look utterly beautiful (unless you don't like carbon) but I don't think that black wings on my red car would look very cool. If I hadn't painted all of my carbon bonnet I could have gradually faded the red paint on both wings and bonnet from the A-pillars to reveal the full carbon towards the headlights - That would either look absolutely amazing or total crap!

Quite apart from the cost factor, I wouldn't want lots of extra road noise which drowns or competes with my engine bay sounds into the cabin. < edit: It's only the 100% carbon, not fibreglass backed like these, which tend to transfer road noise.

I forgot about any 12 year rust cover but would I qualify? My arch liners have been eased in and my suspension is low. Somehow I think that VW would use this as an excuse to say no.

Where has there been posted more info about arch rust? I don't think I've got any actual rust yet.

[I've just spotted your George Michael sig! Very good]
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 12:30:41 pm by RedRobin »

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 07:06:47 pm »
Carbon wings will solve it, it all depends how long you are keeping the car for of cause, I do find it a shame to cover them up though.

Regarding covering the CF wings: as with most of the mods made by enthuastic drivers, a set of CF wings would indicate that other things are done to the vehicle and would attract unnessesary attention to the car. The .:R's are subtle and could be mistaken for stickers. (In the right light you can see the CF weaving underneath the paint as an extra detail  :drool: )

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2011, 09:38:13 pm »
Where has there been posted more info about arch rust? I don't think I've got any actual rust yet.

[I've just spotted your George Michael sig! Very good]
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,21537.0.html
Is a one i remember, Just do a search for rust there are quite a few threads about it on this forum over time that will then pop up with rust as the search criteria.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 12:32:56 pm by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 12:45:00 pm »
Right....

^ As you can see, the state of my wheel arches means that *cough* I am totally and irrevocably justified *cough* in changing them to carbon like Jake's.

Well, somehow I don't think I'd manage to persuade VW UK to repair my arch paintwork under the 12-year warranty or does anyone disagree? If that is the case I have the choice of spending:

A) ~£400 on paintshop repairs: Nil benefits apart from general maintenance.

B) ~£1,200 on painted carbon wings: Several benefits - Tyre clearance, lightweight (not that important to me), eye-candy (very subtle) plus .:R logo like Jake's, no further rust maintenance.

@Jake: I'm needing to know of any practical difficulties when you fit the arch liners. I don't want to run without the liners. 

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 01:30:09 pm »
Right....

^ As you can see, the state of my wheel arches means that *cough* I am totally and irrevocably justified *cough* in changing them to carbon like Jake's.

Well, somehow I don't think I'd manage to persuade VW UK to repair my arch paintwork under the 12-year warranty or does anyone disagree? If that is the case I have the choice of spending:

A) ~£400 on paintshop repairs: Nil benefits apart from general maintenance.

B) ~£1,200 on painted carbon wings: Several benefits - Tyre clearance, lightweight (not that important to me), eye-candy (very subtle) plus .:R logo like Jake's, no further rust maintenance.

@Jake: I'm needing to know of any practical difficulties when you fit the arch liners. I don't want to run without the liners. 

Only thing to have in mind is the widening of them other than that just a good bodyshop as they can be a pain to fit.   :happy2:
I was wondering as to when you would crack under the pressure.  :grin:
BTW are the fenders rust from rubbing or a vw warranty case??