Make a donation

Author Topic: Seibon Carbon Wings  (Read 17129 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Seibon Carbon Wings
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 02:19:08 pm »

Only thing to have in mind is the widening of them other than that just a good bodyshop as they can be a pain to fit.   :happy2:
I was wondering as to when you would crack under the pressure.  :grin:
BTW are the fenders rust from rubbing or a vw warranty case??

....Well I haven't cracked yet - I'm just giving them serious consideration (as I did on the TT arms and then decided against).

I wouldn't be doing the job myself and have confidence in the bodyshop who did my bonnet.

The paint has come away from the fenders probably because the liners have been pushed inwards to allow better tyre clearance on very hard cornering.

So how would you widen the liners?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 05:19:16 pm »
Right....

^ As you can see, the state of my wheel arches means that *cough* I am totally and irrevocably justified *cough* in changing them to carbon like Jake's.

Well, somehow I don't think I'd manage to persuade VW UK to repair my arch paintwork under the 12-year warranty or does anyone disagree? If that is the case I have the choice of spending:

A) ~£400 on paintshop repairs: Nil benefits apart from general maintenance.

B) ~£1,200 on painted carbon wings: Several benefits - Tyre clearance, lightweight (not that important to me), eye-candy (very subtle) plus .:R logo like Jake's, no further rust maintenance.

@Jake: I'm needing to know of any practical difficulties when you fit the arch liners. I don't want to run without the liners. 

Why not be a little different and do an .:RR  logo :happy2:

You know you NEED this mod Robin :party: stop justifying and get them bought! :evilgrin:
Golf R gone.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 05:36:50 pm »

Why not be a little different and do an .:RR  logo :happy2:

You know you NEED this mod Robin :party: stop justifying and get them bought! :evilgrin:

....Nice idea but I think .:RR would be too much of a personal monogram and so a bit too ostentatious even for me. Also, more difficult to sell the car although I have a funny feeling I'll still be driving her at 200,000 miles (and still be the wise old geezer on this forum).

As it is now, I occasionally experience people grinning when they see me step out of my car - But those that say anything at all invariably pass approving comments about the car.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2011, 10:54:07 pm »
@ Jake:

Sorry to keep asking but I'm trying to understand more precisely how the wheel arches would need modifying to fit the carbon wings. I assume that at the moment you have the arch liners but they're not joined up to the carbon wings. How do you envisage joining them up, please?

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2012, 01:29:18 pm »
Well, the Seibon fenders has been replaced by some Kerscher plastic ones that is 30mm wider than stock.
The Seibon ones did the job but at the end of the day CF is for race not for show IMO  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline TT-Turbo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 03:47:23 pm »
Just to let you guys know, I'm a seibom dealer so if enough interest I could do a group buy on these? Let me know if this is something of interest, if not no worries but could be a way to save all a little bit if you are considering this.