Make a donation

Author Topic: 143mph and let off...  (Read 11880 times)

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: 143mph and let off...
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 05:29:23 pm »
Why does he need a license in Afghanistan or where ever he is positioned?

Well that's fairly obvious.. It's in case he gets pulled over by the Taliban and has to produce his documents of course   :embarrassed:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 05:31:11 pm by Vtec Abuser »

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 05:30:54 pm »

In case he gets pulled over by the Taliban and has to produce his documents maybe?  

pure gold  :wink:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 05:49:55 pm »

Irrelevant of where the forces are deployed, to drive a military vehicle, we have to be in possession of the relevant class of driving licence, be at B, C, H etc, , also we have to take a further "matrix" driver theory test periodically.  As well as this we have to undertake a training course for each variant of vehicle that we will drive.  in the case of this guy, he is a mechanic for the EOD teams so he will very likely be qualified to drive a massive variety of vehicles ranging from landrovers, through to HGV/trailers, tanks etc.  

if we are to go away to any other nation with different driving laws such as germany/canada/middle east we have to undertake further training before leaving and whilst there to ensure everyone is upto speed and fmiliar with the new road systems/laws etc.

just for the record im not trying to justify his case, merely explaining why he would need his licence overseas

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 05:59:24 pm »

Irrelevant of where the forces are deployed, to drive a military vehicle, we have to be in possession of the relevant class of driving licence, be at B, C, H etc, , also we have to take a further "matrix" driver theory test periodically.  As well as this we have to undertake a training course for each variant of vehicle that we will drive.  in the case of this guy, he is a mechanic for the EOD teams so he will very likely be qualified to drive a massive variety of vehicles ranging from landrovers, through to HGV/trailers, tanks etc.  

if we are to go away to any other nation with different driving laws such as germany/canada/middle east we have to undertake further training before leaving and whilst there to ensure everyone is upto speed and fmiliar with the new road systems/laws etc.

just for the record im not trying to justify his case, merely explaining why he would need his licence overseas

I understand the importance of his job and why he needs his licence bud. But does that make him above the law? :confused:
I should and nearly did lose my job because of my stupid activities and if it wasn't for the company putting measures in place for me being able to keep it, i'd of been fooked. I know he is in an important role, but should that make him any more immune to prosecutuion than me?
At the end of the day, he should of got at least a lengthly ban and if he lost his job because of it then it would become part of his punishment. There was a guy in Scotland that got caught earlier last year doing 150+ on his GSXR on a deserted long straight road and he got 6 months behind bars. I myself was touching cloth when I was in custody as I knew that it my of been possible that I could of ended up with a custodial sentance and it aint a nice feeling, believe me. But I had nobody else to blame but myself and as it turned out I got 15 months ban. Either way it sent out a message to others. This IMO doesn't!!!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 06:02:45 pm »
speeders get banned, potentially loose their job, house etc and put in prison whilst a paedo doing stuff to a 2 year old gets let off and protected by the police  :stupid:

If I was in government only dickhead speeders would get jailed, people doing 140mph on the motorway when its not busy and a clear dry day can go about on their business

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 06:05:48 pm »
@vtec abuser

im no saying he should have got away with it, i dont think he should have.  as said i was merely pointing out why ywe require drving licences abroad on operations.   as i said i have had a 6 month ban for speeding myself and got a rifting for it as well

Offline Jules86

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 46
    • Forumwars
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2010, 06:21:35 pm »

I see. Cheers mate  :happy2:

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2010, 06:43:11 pm »
I'm with Poverty and Rich on this one. The magistrate passed a judgement he felt appropriate and that is within the law for the offence carried out; so it goes.

Irregardless of the fact that most offences of this sort result in a ban (whether they should or shouldn't is another story), the whole point is that the magistrate has the discretion to apply the punishment as he saw fit. He decided that the best thing for society would not be for this dude to get banned, but to continue to carry out his work for the Army; hence the fine. Seems fairly clear-cut to me.

...the bigger crime here is that he was in an ST...
/flame on.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2010, 06:44:03 pm »
^^^^
Now that Sy has explained the knock-on consequences in great depth, I can better understand the court's judgement.

I can also agree with the points which Ben makes.. Poverty, too.

As is often the case, matters aren't always black and white and we here form our own judgements/opinions without being in possession of the full facts. Plus we also apply our own prejudices.

@ Neo: Pissing excellence again are we  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2010, 06:52:56 pm »
^^^
As I always do  :laugh:

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2010, 07:43:12 pm »
Guy i work with was caught doing 150mph on a motorbike on the motorway at 3am in the morning around christmas. Went to court last months and was given a suspended sentence, 3 points, £1000 fine and 160 hrs community service.  How did he keep his license ???

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2010, 08:23:52 pm »

In case he gets pulled over by the Taliban and has to produce his documents maybe?  

hardly.

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2010, 08:38:14 pm »

hardly.

There was no offence intended there dude. Was more to do with the case more than his efforts over there..  :wink:

Offline jimlad09

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2010, 11:39:36 pm »
all i have to say is 143 is that all hes got? ha st's suck..........nea nea in all seriousness he should be hammered for that....st's still suck

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2010, 08:05:44 am »
There is absolutely NO reason he should not have been banned.

He is not the ONLY person doing that job and he can quite easily sit in the back of a vehicle and be driven to where he needs to fix vehicles. In an emergency, say a vehicle has been hit with an IED, and he is the only driver about then there would be nothing wrong with him driving it then. But to say that his job is SO important he can't not have a licence is a load of cr@p. As i said he will be one of a number of soldiers who do the same job.

The are certain circumstances where "certain" military personnel can legally speed (which i am not going to go into) but they are highly trained (far higher than police drivers) and only do it when necessary i.e. it's a work requirement.

As sy has said he will get into a bit of Sh!t at work and will no doubt suffer a promotion ban for a couple of years. But he has obviously had a good solicitor.

Carl :happy2:
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 08:08:12 am by Mater »