Make a donation

Author Topic: Reverse & Fog light switched!  (Read 10889 times)

Offline DMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
Reverse & Fog light switched!
« on: May 04, 2010, 05:26:17 pm »
Not long had my GTi and noticed due to darkness that the reverse lights are crap. On further investigation it seems that when I select reverse the fog light iluinates and when I select the rear fog the reverse light iluminates which come MOT time willbe a fail!

Anyone got any ideas on a quick fix? Had a look in the boot and the two cables to the iner clusters look pretty tight so I don't think I can swap them?

As you can imagine its driving me insane and it wont be long before I park the car in the house down my narrow drive!

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Reverse & Fog light switched!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 05:56:06 pm »
^^^^
Er.. Which way around are they re the car?

On cars fitted with a single rear fog light, it MUST be on the driver's side legally/MOT. So that means the single reversing light is on the passenger side in the UK.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline DMcG

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 06:00:17 pm »
The lights are in the correct position e.g. reverse n/s and fog o/s just the wiring appears to be the wrong way round.

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 06:19:11 pm »
if its more illumination your after how about mounting some stealth white LED's somewhere?

eg inside to the left and right of the 3rd brake light, under the recess of the numberplate, tucked under the rear valance etc etc

Offline matsu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 06:29:12 pm »
i,m having my leds fitted on thurs and they are left handers so technically illegal and the wiring has been done just keep them there but if i quickly swap the originals just for the MOT. but guy doing my new bumper says if i fit an extra fog in the tow bar recess i,m legal again?
is that any help?
matsu
keep on doing what ya doing you,ll keep on getting what ya getting.

learn from the mistakes of others-"you dont live long enough to make them all yourself"

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 06:48:59 pm »
i,m having my leds fitted on thurs and they are left handers so technically illegal and the wiring has been done just keep them there but if i quickly swap the originals just for the MOT. but guy doing my new bumper says if i fit an extra fog in the tow bar recess i,m legal again?
is that any help?
matsu

A reverse light isnt a legal requirement but having the fog light on the wrong side is just could be dangerous - why not just switch them around like others have managed to or get hold of some RHD Ed30 inner sections.

Back on topic... This almost sounds like a software problem. Get it to a dealer and have them check the settings or better yet, find someone local to VCDS to give the car a once over.
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 07:40:12 pm »

..guy doing my new bumper says if i fit an extra fog in the tow bar recess i,m legal again?
is that any help?
matsu

....But what happens when your tow bar is needed if you have a breakdown?  :confused:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 07:47:45 pm »
Not long had my GTi and noticed due to darkness that the reverse lights are crap. On further investigation it seems that when I select reverse the fog light iluinates and when I select the rear fog the reverse light iluminates which come MOT time willbe a fail!

Anyone got any ideas on a quick fix? Had a look in the boot and the two cables to the iner clusters look pretty tight so I don't think I can swap them?

Someone has been fiddling with the settings in VCDS or VAS - there is a specific code to switch the operation of the rear fog and reverse lamp!

As you can imagine its driving me insane and it wont be long before I park the car in the house down my narrow drive!

OK, I agree that the standard reverse light is pants, but I generally turn on the rear fog as well when reversing - not ideal, but it does help.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 07:52:41 pm »
is that any help?
matsu

Nope, as Red pointed out, if the car only has one rear fog, then it must be on the drivers side (right for UK, and left for Europe).  Or, it can be centrally mounted as found on some cars like SportKa.

However, if a car has two rear fog lamps, then they MUST be symmetrically mounted in both horizontal and vertical planes.  So for the LED kit, either swap the red inner lense from left to right, or remove red lense and paint BOTH bulbs red (and enable both in VCDS), and get a separate reverse lamp.
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 07:54:37 pm »

..guy doing my new bumper says if i fit an extra fog in the tow bar recess i,m legal again?
is that any help?
matsu

....But what happens when your tow bar is needed if you have a breakdown?  :confused:

He meant REAR fogs Red, and I presume he also meant a tow bar for towing trailers, rather than the temporary towing eye!
------

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 08:52:04 pm »

He meant REAR fogs Red, and I presume he also meant a tow bar for towing trailers, rather than the temporary towing eye!

....Duh! Robin, duh!

[I just wanted an excuse to post that pic]

Offline cmdrfire

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 14
    • Commander Fire - my blog
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 08:56:05 pm »
Agree with TT, sounds like you need to have a play with VCDS and change the lighting to EU settings if you've got original lights.

is that any help?
matsu

Why not just swap the two lamp covers around within the light unit? Everyone with fogs has done it, took me about 30 minutes with a scalpel and some hot melt. Or if you're old and crochety like Red you can get someone to do it for you, it's super easy. Remove the two inner units, remove the two bulbs, cut away the plastic weld, swap the lens covers, hot melt them back into place (or plastic weld back into place) refit bulbs and that's it!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 09:12:23 pm »

Why not just swap the two lamp covers around within the light unit? Everyone with fogs has done it, took me about 30 minutes with a scalpel and some hot melt. Or if you're old and crochety like Red you can get someone to do it for you, it's super easy.

....Being a wise elder has its advantages  :evilgrin:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 09:18:39 pm »
dont think switching the lenses will help in this situation as the fog light will still be on the wrong side, even though it will now be red not white!  he will need to sort out what the computer is doing to the wiring.

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010, 08:27:52 am »

....Duh! Robin, duh!

[I just wanted an excuse to post that pic]

LOL - we all know you're just a picture whore at heart!  :drinking:

BTW <off topic alert> does your car pass the MoT with your front towing eye attached?  Or do you normally remove it?
------