Make a donation

Author Topic: Cambelt change, when did VW change this to 4 years  (Read 32699 times)

Offline Richn83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 85
Cambelt change, when did VW change this to 4 years
« on: May 13, 2010, 10:56:50 am »
Hello all, after a bit of expert advice, planning on getting my car serviced for the first time since taking ownership, going for a DSG oil and filter change, and t&D with longlife oil. 

One thing that came up with every garage I called was has the cambelt been changed as the car is now 5 years old and down 32k, so last night I looked back through the service history and this has yet to be done, on closer inspection the dealer retrospectively changed the pollen filter, as this wasnt done during the second service at 4 years.

My question is when did VW officially change the cambelt to 4 years reardless of milleage as I bought the car as an approved used vehicle from a main dealer at 5 years old which included check and verification that all necessary servicing had been carried out (hence they went back and did the pollen filter) but since every dealer is telling me that the cambelt should be done at 4 years shouldnt this have also been changed?  :fighting:

I would be very interested to find out if anyone has anything to confirm when this was communicated to garages, as im now staring at a significant service bill that I was not expecting!

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

To Come...NQSBBK, highline CCM.

Offline Garth

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 14
    • My Build thread
Re: Cambelt change, when did VW change this to 4 years
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:28:11 am »
I had my 60k service done at a VW main dealer a few months ago and they never said a word about it to me. My car is an 05 plate and as far as I'm aware, the cambelt has never been changed.... I'm on 73k now  :scared:

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 11:34:45 am »
According to my service book that came with the car, its 120k.  But think ive read about this getting brought forwards, makes me happier garth knowing that yours has done double on the original setup (maybe the 05's were just solidly built  :wink: )

might just be stealers looking for some extra work, but if it isnt then im spooling up for a fight with the dealer I bought the car from as im not having them work to an old schedule when it suits them and then try and charge me under a revised servicing schedule once im stumping the bill!!!  :fighting:

5Dr Black GTI, DSG, Leather, Xenons. Retrofitted - Cruise, RNS 510, MFSW, Armrest, Skoda BT, 6cd changer, Monza II's, VW speaker upgrade kit, Lux pack, High-line, new CAN gateway, Polar FIS info display, R32 tinted rear lights, RVC

Offline FamilyDub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
  • ...who needs a diesel?
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 01:31:40 pm »

There is so much conflicting info on time and mileages for the cambelt.

I'm planning to do mine ('06 plate) next summer at what should be about 44-47k miles.

If my sh1t Hyundai Accent - that I ragged A LOT- can go to 80k miles and 6 years, without a problem a 'premium' GTI bl00dy better be durable enough to do five. Only my opinion, of course.  :chicken:
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr, Family-Spec | 17" w/anthracite Finish | Manual | Highline | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

Offline Robert74

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 05:37:43 pm »
I had my cam belt, water pump and DSG oil and filter done recently. Every dealer I spoke to said the same thing, if its 4 years old the cam belt needs to be done regardless of mileage. Same goes for the DSG oil and filter I think.

My car had done 26k at the time and is 4 years old('06 plate).

Richn83 if you bought it from a main dealer they should have made sure the belt had been done before you got it.

2006 GTI 5 door DSG

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 05:56:10 pm »
I had my cam belt, water pump and DSG oil and filter done recently. Every dealer I spoke to said the same thing, if its 4 years old the cam belt needs to be done regardless of mileage. Same goes for the DSG oil and filter I think.

My car had done 26k at the time and is 4 years old('06 plate).

Richn83 if you bought it from a main dealer they should have made sure the belt had been done before you got it.

Cheers Robert74, that seems to be the impression im getting from the garages ive spoken too, 4 so far!  Have spoken to the servicing department of the dealer who sold me the car this afternoon, and got them to confirm that they use the same scheduling.  No one has said about the DSG at 4 years so far they seem to be sticking to 40k but as the shift isnt great on mine I want to get this done ASAP.

The parts department have told me to speak to the sales department regarding the lack of cambelt change despite signing off on the service history as part of the approved used scheme, luckily for him the sales manager wasnt in today, so will be having a chat/barney with him tomorrow  :fighting:

If anyone has some official literature that shows that 4 years is the magic date regardless of mileage for either cambelt or DSG I would love to get my hands on it before my conversation tomorrow.  :evilgrin:

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 07:02:52 pm »
I had my belt/water pump/rollers etc all changed at 4 years. Made shure it was done as part of the deal getting the car.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline jmspear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 07:14:58 pm »
I changed mine at 50k shop not massively expensive if you shop around, I had a cambelt go on a porsche 944s2 at 78k and a v expensive head rebuild later resolved to always change the cambelt early, I think of it as preventative maintenance, you will be looking at potentially thousands versus ~£300 tops and piece of mind.

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 07:47:27 pm »
Yes it's officially 4 years of 60k whichever is first. I had an awful day today having to pay put for cambelt, tensioners, water pump, service and mot and I'm now skint but in need of a holiday. On the plus side, after driving round in a tdi bora all day I appreciate the power and even more so, the sharpness of the handling and overall gloss of the gti's handling. They really are stunning cars to
drive.  It's nice to get a reminder after 4.5 years driving the same car:)

although 63 mpg has really wetted my appetite for a more economical car!

Anyone driven the latest BMW 320d coupe, they really are drawing me in with low tax, 50mpg and 177 bhp

Offline Felix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 08:22:30 am »
Sorry to hijack - but the cambelt on mine was changed before I bought it at VW but there is no record of the water pump being done. Are these prone to failure or is it just the cambelt you should worry about? cheers.
300hp Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30

Offline Richn83

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 08:38:56 am »
Sorry to hijack - but the cambelt on mine was changed before I bought it at VW but there is no record of the water pump being done. Are these prone to failure or is it just the cambelt you should worry about? cheers.

Thats alright felix, the main issue is the cambelt, but since when your changing the cambelt you can change the water pump for relatively little some people get them done together, as its then only the additional parts cost rather than the labour.

Offline Robert74

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 09:59:25 am »
The VW dealers wanted and extra £100 to change the waterpump when I asked for a quote to do the cam belt.
2006 GTI 5 door DSG

Offline Felix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 11:22:02 am »
ok thanks richn83
300hp Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30

Offline FamilyDub

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
  • ...who needs a diesel?
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 11:38:46 am »
Anyone driven the latest BMW 320d coupe, they really are drawing me in with low tax, 50mpg and 177 bhp

Yes... and the 325d and the 330d.  :party:

There's not that much MPG/VED sacrifice going from the 320 - 330. It'd be my choice.
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr, Family-Spec | 17" w/anthracite Finish | Manual | Highline | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

Offline nc35

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2010, 07:26:21 am »
Asked at a friendly VW techie.
The belts are good and strong. He said most come off looking like new good for the 120k, it's the tensioners that fail!!!
They sound like a whole family of mice squeeking away.
Lots of good garages will replace the water pump at cost £45ish when changing the belt.

Got mine booked in about 4weeks.  5 yrs old 57k. The mice have just started & serive is reminding me it's due in 500 miles.

MOT, service, cam belt, tensioners, water pump & loan car. £420 all in.
Didn't think this was too bad as they have to almost drop the engine on axx to get to the cam belt!

No Golf anymore. 
Enjoyed the last five years of ownership of Mk5 & 6 GTIs.
Plus an excellent forum for knowledge and new ways to deplete the bank account.
Thank You Everyone.