Make a donation

Author Topic: Toyo R1R's  (Read 10995 times)

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Toyo R1R's
« on: May 13, 2010, 04:50:14 pm »
Yes I've taken the plunge again and decided to get some R1R's fitted to the ED30....and VERY good they are too.

I've had all types of tyre on the car...

Continental Sport Contact 2's
Continental Sport Contact 3's
Goodyear F1 Assymetrics
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's
Toyo R888's (GG rated)

and now add to that the R1R's.

Grip in the dry is excellent - well above ANYTHING for normal road rubber. Forget Michelins, Pirelli's etc these are a cut above.
Wet weather grip should be much better too with the extra tread pattern over the R888's I'll edit when I do some driving in the wet!).

Typical example is the fact that I could induce 3rd gear wheelspin in the dry in all the road tyres. The most I get from this is a squeal in 1st and second, but no real loss of traction  :surprised:

My reckoning is that the Sessanta's would have lasted me around 6k miles on the front as the rest of the mileage on them has been spun away in unsightly wheelspins. With the R1R's holding grip I reckon I'll have a similar, if not better mileage out of them (unless I kill them on track!!), purely on the basis that the extra grip means I'm not spinning away the rubber all the time.

They aren't a cheap tyre, but I managed to get a full set of 225/40/18's for under £700 fitted and balanced.

I do around 8k miles a year, so for me they are worth it. I couldn't recommend them to high milers as they would wear very quickly on the motorways over the miles, but as an alternative to run of the mill road tyres they are a phenomenal tyre. 90% of the grip of the R888's in the dry and more grip in the wet too  :happy2:

Anyone mapped on a GTI or an ED30 should definitely give these a go.
Golf R gone.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
Re: Toyo R1R's
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 05:19:11 pm »
Yes I've taken the plunge again and decided to get some R1R's fitted to the ED30....and VERY good they are too.

I've had all types of tyre on the car...

Continental Sport Contact 2's
Continental Sport Contact 3's
Goodyear F1 Assymetrics
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's
Toyo R888's (GG rated)

and now add to that the R1R's.

Grip in the dry is excellent - well above ANYTHING for normal road rubber. Forget Michelins, Pirelli's etc these are a cut above.
Wet weather grip should be much better too with the extra tread pattern over the R888's I'll edit when I do some driving in the wet!).

Typical example is the fact that I could induce 3rd gear wheelspin in the dry in all the road tyres. The most I get from this is a squeal in 1st and second, but no real loss of traction  :surprised:

My reckoning is that the Sessanta's would have lasted me around 6k miles on the front as the rest of the mileage on them has been spun away in unsightly wheelspins. With the R1R's holding grip I reckon I'll have a similar, if not better mileage out of them (unless I kill them on track!!), purely on the basis that the extra grip means I'm not spinning away the rubber all the time.

They aren't a cheap tyre, but I managed to get a full set of 225/40/18's for under £700 fitted and balanced.

I do around 8k miles a year, so for me they are worth it. I couldn't recommend them to high milers as they would wear very quickly on the motorways over the miles, but as an alternative to run of the mill road tyres they are a phenomenal tyre. 90% of the grip of the R888's in the dry and more grip in the wet too  :happy2:

Anyone mapped on a GTI or an ED30 should definitely give these a go.

X2   :drool:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 05:33:14 pm »
tell you what would have been an awesome test would be to compare your 0-60 times from your performance  box using your launch control on all the different sets of tyres.  That would show a good comparison of the off the line improvments.

HOw would you rate them to the R888s?

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 06:13:12 pm »
worth considering for 12-15k miles /yr car  over Michelin Pilot Sports ??? even if I sacrificed a bit of wet weather grip?
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 06:20:21 pm »
this is my thought. i do about 10K a year.  Ive got no issues with changing a set of tyres once a year, but at that price i wouldnt want to e doing it twice a year.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 07:53:01 pm »
Summer/track wheels FTW - even if they look like sh*t!
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 08:21:32 pm »

Seems to me that the Toyo R1R's sound like an excellent road-legal trackday tyre and practical for driving to and from a circuit irrespective of wet or dry.

A rival must surely be the Hankook RS2's but James's foray into the ditch is perhaps not a good advertisement for them.

The most cost-efficient way would be to have two sets of alloys - One with road tyres and the other with trackday tyres whether road-legal or not. This shares and reduces the mileage and helps longevity. Just like having two pairs of shoes. Is this how women justify having dozens of pairs of shoes?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 08:32:28 pm »
tell you what would have been an awesome test would be to compare your 0-60 times from your performance  box using your launch control on all the different sets of tyres.  That would show a good comparison of the off the line improvments.

HOw would you rate them to the R888s?

A little too early to tell, but I've just been out for another quick spin and all the signs point to them being just as good as makes no difference :happy2:
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 08:38:08 pm by Hurdy »
Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 08:36:24 pm »
worth considering for 12-15k miles /yr car  over Michelin Pilot Sports ??? even if I sacrificed a bit of wet weather grip?

From what I've been hearing, the wet weather grip is still better than normal road tyres. The grip over ANY normal road tyre - Pilot Sports included is at a completely higher level.

12-15K miles, hmmm, I'll let you know how long mine last Put them on at 26,250 miles, so here's hoping they last a good 6k for me, which would probably equate to 8-10k for most "normal" people :laugh:
Golf R gone.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 10:47:40 pm »
The R1Rs do seem to be affected more easily by greasy roads I have found than my old F1 assys. Grip is phenomenal in the dry, floor it in 1st and just hold on basically. Steering is alot more communicative, I only fitted a set to the front of my car with no real cornering detriment. Wayne cannot keep up with me in the twisties anymore even though our cars are pretty much identical. Also I now always run with ESP off with these tyres, with the F1 assys on public roads I always used to keep it on.

Ive nearly killed my R1Rs after not much mileage though, only had them on for about 3 months now and havent really driven it that much.

Couldnt go back to a lesser tyre now that I have tried these though. Best summer tyre on the market, shame about the price.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 11:15:29 pm »
i know you use your car properly, and they must take a bit of abuse but how many miles have you covered do you reckon in those 3 months

3-4k maybe

Offline djhorace

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 09:51:15 am »
Are there different compounds for the R1R John? Also, where did you get them for under £700 fitted? PM or text me if you dont want to post on here  :happy2:

Offline SteveS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 11:43:06 am »
i was going to get the Goodyear F1 Assymetrics next time round.
should i reconsider?

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 12:40:17 pm »
these are in a completely different league of tyres steve, in terms of price and performance

grip will be alot better but they will probably last 1/2 the time of the GD f1s and cost almost double, if you think you will make the most of them then they are well worth it but if its just motorway miles you are doing then a complete waste of money imo
GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 12:48:43 pm »
these are in a completely different league of tyres steve, in terms of price and performance

grip will be alot better but they will probably last 1/2 the time of the GD f1s and cost almost double, if you think you will make the most of them then they are well worth it but if its just motorway miles you are doing then a complete waste of money imo

I agree with this... My hankooks were miles ahead of other tyres I've had once warm, but they have lasted 1500ish miles and all I have done is use the car for work and obviously a few blasts of the hills... £250 smeared on the streets of Manchester  :sad1:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE