Make a donation

Author Topic: nurburgring insurance  (Read 3633 times)

Offline cuzmk5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
nurburgring insurance
« on: May 20, 2010, 02:47:48 pm »

Will be going to the ring at the end of june.  just wondering what insurance and companys people use.

it clearly states in my insurance that i wont be covered at the ring.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: nurburgring insurance
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 02:57:28 pm »
there is a company out there that will cover you for a set amount of laps for quite a bit of cash, not sure if it is limited though. ill have a search around and see i i can find it

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 03:04:42 pm »
make sure you check the T&Cs even if you pay for insurance. they are bound to try and trip you up after you have shelled out big money to be covered.

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 03:07:22 pm »
Trackday insurance is dear, but weight it up against the price of a new car or someone elses and it maybe worth it, check the poor VXR owner on pistonheads thats gonna cost someone. Make sure it covers the ring and transport back for you and your car.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 03:09:46 pm »
the guy with the VXR is a "squady" based in germany with a German insurance policy. Id be surprised if they didnt pay out for him!

Offline cuzmk5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 03:10:52 pm »
there is a company out there that will cover you for a set amount of laps for quite a bit of cash, not sure if it is limited though. ill have a search around and see i i can find it

:happy2:  ive been having a look but not been able to find anything. insurance dont like the word nurburging.

Offline cuzmk5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 03:14:44 pm »
the guy with the VXR is a "squady" based in germany with a German insurance policy. Id be surprised if they didnt pay out for him!

ive seen this. think i read somewhere that somthing failed on the car, which caused him to crash. seemed like he was approaching the corner to fast.

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 03:15:49 pm »
i dont think anything failed on the car, the driver was just going plain too fast. He has said as much himself.

I do feel for the guy though, nobody wants that!

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 03:21:16 pm »
Nope and you dont want folk filming you and putting it on the web. Good Luck to him :happy2:

Offline cuzmk5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 03:46:41 pm »
There a post on seatcurpa.net about it, there was a list of prices to replace armco barriers, recovery trucks. closure of the track was over £1000 an hour. :jumping:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 03:52:10 pm »
track closer is 1350euros an hour to be precise! thats pretty cheap to be honest.

If i was running an operation like the NBR tourist days, i would want to be pulling in a sh*t load more than 1350/hr on track!

maybe they are only allowed to charge a low hourly rate by law.

you really would think that the track would bring in more like 6-7k per hour in peak times!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 04:56:14 pm »

if thats the case then he will be ok. my insurance company over there when i mentioned the nurburgring said of course i can use it, its a public road.  i just wasnt covered for trackdays.......
i dont think anything failed on the car, the driver was just going plain too fast. He has said as much himself.

I do feel for the guy though, nobody wants that!

i dont think anything failed on the car, and i don believe the tyre pressure either. he was going way to fast for that bend, you could  see the car under steering wide and then as soon as it hit the loose stuff he was rolling.  the only thing failing there was his driving skill.

the problem with the soldiers in germany is that we are entitled to tax free cars with additional forcs discounts so you can get a lot of car for not a lot of money out there. 

For example before i left you could pick up a focus ST3 for £12500, golf GTI £13500, my car cost £12499 incl extras and delivery, so you have young inexperienced drivers buying fast cars and alot of them do crash, purely as they haven had any experience in slow cars let alone hot hatches. 

the insurance companies have got strict on it over there now though, if your under 25 with a powerful car they will and truly hammer you with the insurance premiums, but if your over 25 its way cheaper than UK premiums

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 05:01:23 pm »

ive seen this. think i read somewhere that somthing failed on the car, which caused him to crash. seemed like he was approaching the corner to fast.

....What "failed" is his driving skills, nothing mechanical. He took the bend too quickly and understeered into the armco.

I think his insurance claims might get complicated in spite of being a squaddy - Something about his passengers wanting to sue. His poor attitude after the incident certainly doesn't do squaddies any favours  :fighting:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 05:04:11 pm »

....That company has been discussed on this forum (and others) before. It's not as good as it sounds.. You have to have your car officially TUV tested etc etc out there in Germany first IIRC. It's not cheap either and the insurance has limitations.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 05:04:58 pm »
in what way has he had a poor attitude after the crash?

from what ive read, hes been quite humbled by it.