Make a donation

Author Topic: My (fairly standard) Edition 30  (Read 12848 times)

Offline fastismycopilot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
My (fairly standard) Edition 30
« on: January 17, 2009, 03:48:33 pm »
Ordered the day after the Edition 30 was announced but not delivered until late March 2007 (had to tie in with a lease car being returned). It's a 5 door, steel grey with rear tints and DSG. Some other extra bits specified but not a lot of note.

It's had a couple of tweaks, the first being when  answered an advert on the Milltek website for an Edition 30 to use to develop the exhaust on. Gave them the car for a week, in return got a full Milltek system for £400 and the (virtually pristine) original exhaust couriered back to me.

Second tweak was the fitting of a Forge DV by those nice chaps at AmDtechnik in Thurrock.

Rolling road reading puts it at 270bhp which is all I need for now. Maybe in a year or so I'll look at a Revo, but I'm happy for now.  :smiley:

Photo taken at Herstmonceux Observatory

Doing a rather chilly Goodwood Breakfast Run

After a damn good 'Portering'

Edition 30 No. 0536

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
Re: My (fairly standard) Edition 30
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 03:53:21 pm »
Nice car!  8) 8)

Was that the Goodwood Breakfast run in April of 2008 by any chance!!????

Has the car only got a Milly and the Forge DV and achieved 270hp?!
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline fastismycopilot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 04:15:15 pm »
Nice car!  8) 8)

Was that the Goodwood Breakfast run in April of 2008 by any chance!!????

Has the car only got a Milly and the Forge DV and achieved 270hp?!

Yes it was, here's a photo of the mini I was following - oddly enough we never got to Goodwood!

And oddly enough yes, that's just with the Milltek & the Forge. RR done before & after Milltek and after Forge.

Vanilla RR showed 240 bhp
post-Milltek RR showed 262bhp
post-Forge DV showed 270bhp

Edition 30 No. 0536

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 04:17:44 pm »
Nice car, where was it RR'd

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:22:45 pm »
Lol! Yes I remember that morning very well indeed...

My Lotus was on display on the track (one of the cars that Goodwood chose to be on display, had a plaque infront of it too), and I let my father drive it down, while I followed about 15mins later in the GTI!

He got to Goodwood ok, but I caught the blizzard and got stuck in Farnham!!

They are very very high figures considering your modifications. I'm sure others will have something to say about that also!

Hopefully catch you at a few of the Breakfast Clubs this season, they have released the dates, but not the themes! Always worth the journey down!

:smiley:

2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline fastismycopilot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 06:06:28 pm »
All figures are from AmD in Thurrock, with the pre & post Milltek figures verified by Supachips when they were trying it out with a Bluefin. The only anomoly from the figures quoted on my car was when it went on the rollers at Awesome who said that they couldn't get an accurate reading because of the DSG. As a result they only got around 252bhp pre Forge installation.

Edition 30 No. 0536

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2009, 08:16:54 pm »
Looks very nice.

270 bhp on an ED30 without a remap?!?!? :jumping:

Wonder would I could expect with stage 2+

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2009, 08:47:29 pm »
Stealth, we know that just an exhaust on a standard ed30 wont give 270bhp, its the roller lottery all over again.

It will be around the 240bhp at best for a stock car.

Stage2+ is in the lofty heights of 320ish with full mods to Zorst, Fuel pump, intercooler, intake and Remap.

Ready to call in the bank manager then stealth?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 08:50:31 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2009, 10:39:49 pm »
looking great mate

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 11:08:01 pm »
No not yet, just sizing things up for the mo.

Spent £400 on an exam and if I fail it, I have to spend another £400 to resit! It's things like these that stop me spending any money on the car.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline jt1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 12:14:24 am »
Vry nice  :happy2: :happy2:

Offline fastismycopilot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 09:35:03 am »
Stealth, we know that just an exhaust on a standard ed30 wont give 270bhp, its the roller lottery all over again.

It will be around the 240bhp at best for a stock car.

I'd have to disagree. The stock car was listed at 230bhp by VW, for a full exhaust replacement to only give a nominal 4% uplift in power on stock figures is a low calculation. Particularly given the power on almost every Ed30 taken in by Superchips when they were looking at re-maps was 240ish stock - bear in mind these are figures that it would be in their interest to 'underquote' in order to boost their own results. They didn't, they just provided the facts verified on 2 different Rolling Roads.

So if we take a complete Exhaust system which has been built from scratch to maximise the performance of the car (this is the Milltek prototype exhaust we're talking about) and look at the fact it's added 9% to the stock power it's not unreasonable. The power uplift on the Forge DV is what puzzles me more than anything.

240bhp 'at best' from a stock car when that's what it's putting out at stock? Nah, sorry but how did people tune their cars before the ECU was invented?. I'm not interested in how much power my car puts out, I'm interested in the 'feel' of it, hence why I decided against the Bluefin on mine.

Edition 30 No. 0536

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 11:19:32 am »
You must have a car thats made from some kind of criptonite!. Youve missed some rolling road days in which several Standard Ed30 cars were put on Dyno Dynamics rollers, one of the cars was tested on a set on rollers as stock and produced 260bhp, then went on these and produced along with 4 other stock cars, stock hoursepower. why do you think your engine/turbo will produce more then thousands of others?.

All im saying is you are not gonna get 40 bhp increase from a full milltek!!!.15-20 at the most.

Have a look at these to see where im coming from and see why this has been covered over and over and over and over and over again......

http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/GalleryGTI041008.htm.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:06:54 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 04:26:53 pm »
now now Phil play nice with the new members  :wink:

fastismycopilot : this as Phil says has been a hot topic of debate.  Id suggest looking more at the relative increase than absolute figures
JKM (DD) rollingroad typically shows 'matching' OE figures  (230 ish for a std ED30) (doesnt mean they are right though!)
Awesome/Proport etc tend to show larger numbers than this. (up to 255 for a std ED30)
As long as runs are repeatable then you can prove a % increase for a mod  :happy2:, irrespective of the tuner you frequent.
imho adding a DV aint gonna add any bhp (unless you had a previous fault) more likely to be a run variation (temp etc)

If it runs great and pulls strong then as you say thats all that matters. besides with DSG its gonna fly...............
Anyway nice contraversial first post, welcome to the forum I look forward to your input.

Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline fastismycopilot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 05:35:56 pm »
You must have a car thats made from some kind of criptonite!.
I take it you mean kryptonite? Geekish point I know.....

Youve missed some rolling road days in which several Standard Ed30 cars were put on Dyno Dynamics rollers, one of the cars was tested on a set on rollers as stock and produced 260bhp, then went on these and produced along with 4 other stock cars, stock hoursepower. why do you think your engine/turbo will produce more then thousands of others???.
If you'd like to stop frothing at the mouth and use grammar and coherent sentence structure I might be able to answer you. At present it's like trying to decode the forum drunk. Is hoursepower(sic) measured over a period of time as well? By the way, one question mark works just as well as three unless your keyboard is doing a 'type two get one free deal', in which case, well done.

All im saying is you are not gonna get 40 bhp increase from a full milltek!!!.15-20 at the most.
Hmmm, try reading my post. At no point do I claim 40bhp from a full Milltek. Let's make it simple for you:
.1. Car tests at a 'stock' 240bhp (using this as the base figure as the further measures are on the same RR)
.2. Addition of Milltek takes it to a smidge over 260bhp (approx 21bhp, equating to 8.7% increase)
.3. Addition of Forge DV takes it to 270bhp which I stated that I found puzzling.
So, a 30 bhp addition, equating to an increase on the base measure of 12.5%, 3.8% of which I'm not stating is due to the exhaust and that I'm questioning myself.

Apart from the words, well done, an excellent post. There may be a career for you working for the Daily Mail, they seem to take the same approach to factual accuracy as you.

Have a look at these to see where im coming from and see why this has been covered over and over and over and over and over again......
Thank you for that condescending advice, I will do. Why don't you try reading my posts again and if there's any words you struggle with just post up. If the words are 'and' or 'it' I wouldn'd bother. You may end up looking even sillier.

http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/GalleryGTI041008.htm.

I trust I've addressed your issues above, even if I did struggle to understand some of the punctuation and spelling.

Edition 30 No. 0536