Make a donation

Author Topic: My (fairly standard) Edition 30  (Read 12842 times)

Offline fastismycopilot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: My (fairly standard) Edition 30
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2009, 05:38:47 pm »
now now Phil play nice with the new members  :wink:

fastismycopilot : this as Phil says has been a hot topic of debate.  Id suggest looking more at the relative increase than absolute figures
JKM (DD) rollingroad typically shows 'matching' OE figures  (230 ish for a std ED30) (doesnt mean they are right though!)
Awesome/Proport etc tend to show larger numbers than this. (up to 255 for a std ED30)
As long as runs are repeatable then you can prove a % increase for a mod  :happy2:, irrespective of the tuner you frequent.
imho adding a DV aint gonna add any bhp (unless you had a previous fault) more likely to be a run variation (temp etc)

If it runs great and pulls strong then as you say thats all that matters. besides with DSG its gonna fly...............
Anyway nice contraversial first post, welcome to the forum I look forward to your input.

Thank you for your concerns, I trust I've indicated in my previous post that I'm capable of dealing with any 'questions' which are put to me.....  :wink:

Look forward to using the forum, it looks like a good 'un. 

Edition 30 No. 0536

Offline WhiteGTI

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2009, 05:43:04 pm »
I knew this topic may get messy!!  :signLOL:

To return to topic.............What are your future plans for the car fastismycopilot? (aside from the possibility of a Revo in the future)

:smiley: :smiley:

2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2009, 05:46:06 pm »
Guys although this thread has turned very funny  :grin: It will only end in tinternet tears with more peeps getting involved, running over the same old ground ( ooh it turned into a Pink Floyd song then  :laugh:)
Lets keep it friendly there is no point in either of you guys getting flustered over opinion's. Although both of you are capable of looking out for yourselves can you please chat to each other via PM please  :chicken:

Offline fastismycopilot

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2009, 05:56:46 pm »
Guys although this thread has turned very funny  :grin: It will only end in tinternet tears with more peeps getting involved, running over the same old ground ( ooh it turned into a Pink Floyd song then  :laugh:)
Lets keep it friendly there is no point in either of you guys getting flustered over opinion's. Although both of you are capable of looking out for yourselves can you please chat to each other via PM please  :chicken:

Just as I was starting to have some fun too.......  :innocent:

Don't worry, I'll be silent on the matter now, think I've made my point! (wouldn't want you to have the same old fears.....  :wink:)

In answer to WHITEGTI nothing at present! The missus gets her new MINI Cooper S Cabrio this March which is drinking this year's car allowance for her and my Land Rover 130 is getting a few thou spent on it which drinks up any left over pennies. Maybe next year.......
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 06:00:18 pm by fastismycopilot »

Edition 30 No. 0536

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 06:19:08 pm »
ok sorry for my poor spelling copilot, id be first to admit, my spelling has never been strong .
But can you explain to me, how a forge dump valve is going to give extra HORSEPOWER... (Spelt correct this time)?? i hope :scared:

I like to know why your opinion is that a stock vehical produces more then VW Claims it does?. or is the 2.0 tfsi unit notorious for giving what it feels like??
Isnt that mis-selling a product on Vw??

If a set of rollers says your car is producing more the book, surely accuracy is in question is it not? or do we just pluck a figure from the air and say its right???

Now stop me from looking "silly" as you put it ,and answer the above  :happy2:

And now realising your from Uk-mkiv's website, we tend to get along well in here and not rip each other to shreds at the 1st oppotunity as tends to happen and well known amungst GTi forum users.

:smiley:

Sorry Tc for replying to this , but had to be said.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:42:09 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2009, 06:22:40 pm »
To be fair Steve I think it has been proven on many occasions that alot of standard Ed30 are more than the stated 230bhp. I dont know why but it is true. So the addition of a full Milltek TBE could see an increase of 25+ bhp

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2009, 06:31:28 pm »
You must have a car thats made from some kind of criptonite!.
I take it you mean kryptonite? Geekish point I know.....

Youve missed some rolling road days in which several Standard Ed30 cars were put on Dyno Dynamics rollers, one of the cars was tested on a set on rollers as stock and produced 260bhp, then went on these and produced along with 4 other stock cars, stock hoursepower. why do you think your engine/turbo will produce more then thousands of others???.
If you'd like to stop frothing at the mouth and use grammar and coherent sentence structure I might be able to answer you. At present it's like trying to decode the forum drunk. Is hoursepower(sic) measured over a period of time as well? By the way, one question mark works just as well as three unless your keyboard is doing a 'type two get one free deal', in which case, well done.

All im saying is you are not gonna get 40 bhp increase from a full milltek!!!.15-20 at the most.
Hmmm, try reading my post. At no point do I claim 40bhp from a full Milltek. Let's make it simple for you:
.1. Car tests at a 'stock' 240bhp (using this as the base figure as the further measures are on the same RR)
.2. Addition of Milltek takes it to a smidge over 260bhp (approx 21bhp, equating to 8.7% increase)
.3. Addition of Forge DV takes it to 270bhp which I stated that I found puzzling.
So, a 30 bhp addition, equating to an increase on the base measure of 12.5%, 3.8% of which I'm not stating is due to the exhaust and that I'm questioning myself.

Apart from the words, well done, an excellent post. There may be a career for you working for the Daily Mail, they seem to take the same approach to factual accuracy as you.

Have a look at these to see where im coming from and see why this has been covered over and over and over and over and over again......
Thank you for that condescending advice, I will do. Why don't you try reading my posts again and if there's any words you struggle with just post up. If the words are 'and' or 'it' I wouldn'd bother. You may end up looking even sillier.

http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/GalleryGTI041008.htm.

I trust I've addressed your issues above, even if I did struggle to understand some of the punctuation and spelling.
obviously you did or you couldnt of worked out what to write

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2009, 06:33:34 pm »
Mark, your missing this aswell!!! how can one engine bolted together with the same parts, same ecu, same coding, same exhaust, same intake produce more then one from the other!!!.

Point im making purely that one engine doesnt produce more then the one on the production line!.

Rolling road results are the ones that give some time inacurate results.

Vw arent going to sell a product that they state is 227 bhp when in fact not that figure at all!.same goes for a normal GTi, 197bhp etc.

They are what they are if the engine is healthly give or take a couple of bhp of course, or could slightly differ with the fuel its run on and air temperature has a factor aswell.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 07:10:14 pm by Phil Mcavity »

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2009, 06:37:39 pm »
Mark, your missing this aswell!!! how can one engine bolted together with the same parts, same ecu, same coding, same exhaust, same intake produce more then one from the other!!!
Steve I dont know the answer to that one, I was just stating that I have heard of alot of standard Ed30 getting greater BHP figures than what VW claim. It doesnt make sense to me either, but isnt that the same with the Nissan GT-R they get differing BHP figures but they are all made the same with the same parts? I know the GT-R is a bad example as the engine is hand built but even so.
Im not looking to upset anyone just stating what I know to be true. :happy2:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2009, 06:40:39 pm »
Hand built agree'd is different mark , quite correct, but an engine of the production line isnt gonna be better then the next unless its been mis-assembled.

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2009, 06:41:12 pm »
maybe we should move a rr discussion to a new thread rather than keep going here on a new members post guys ?
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2009, 06:43:26 pm »

maybe we should move a rr discussion to a new thread rather than keep going here on a new members post guys ?
:happy2:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2009, 06:46:39 pm »
ok sorry for my poor spelling copilot, id be first to admit, my spelling has never been strong .
But can you explain to me, how a forge dump valve is going to give extra HORSEPOWER... (Spelt correct this time)?? i hope :scared:

I like to know why your opinion is that a stock vehical produces more then VW Claims it does?. or is the 2.0 tfsi unit notorious for giving what it feels like??
Isnt that mis-selling a product on Vw??

If a set of rollers says your car is producing more the book, surely accuracy is in question is it not? or do we just pluck a figure from the air and say its right???

Now stop me from looking "silly" as you put it ,and answer the above  :happy2:

:smiley:

Sorry Tc for replying to this , but had to be said.

He does admit in his previous posts that he is mystified by this occurence too, and therefore cannot explain it....

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2009, 06:50:50 pm »
agree'd chris, but making me look silly just cus my spelling is unacceptable, just pulls the wrong chain for me  :mad:

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 07:00:49 pm »
agree'd chris, but making me look silly just cus my spelling is unacceptable, just pulls the wrong chain for me  :mad:

Oh 100%, that wasn't exactly the most mature of comebacks by the OP!

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp