Make a donation

Author Topic: Formel event on Jyllandsringen (Denmark) July 2010  (Read 2453 times)

Offline danishmkvgti

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
Formel event on Jyllandsringen (Denmark) July 2010
« on: July 04, 2010, 11:50:20 am »
Well Friday i went to Jyllandsringen in Jutland for a chance to try 2 types of racing cars myself and have a ride as a passenger in a third. The cars i tried to drive myself was a Formula Renault RWD and a Polo GTI Cup FWD car. The one i would be passenger in was a Peugeot Spider with danish DTC driver John Nielsen as driver.
The person in charge for this event was Danish DTC driver Jesper Carlsen (I think he has driven in the UK earlier in his carrier??)

John Nielsen:

Jesper Carlsen:

The Cupra in some of the pictures was used as a pace car, i calculated that the power to weight ratio was slightly better for my Golf compared to the Cupra as it was standard engine wise.

As i  was hoping that they would let me, i asked and got an okay for me to try the Golf on the Track, which ended in me doing 6 laps WO tire pressure change and road settings for Rear arb and suspension. Compared to the 200BHP Polos it did really well and even though it was a lot heavier the caracteristics was very much the same, meaning that the Dif, tyres, rsb and suspension has been a move in the right direction without it loosing to much of it's streetuseability  :smiley:

The Formula Renault was a challenge, i still feel the tubing pressing on my shoulders and as we only had 2x 4 laps i really didn't get a feel for the car, a shame really, but next time i'll do a full day in one i might get a much better feel for the rwd and cramped space.

In The Polo GTI Cup car i felt a lot more at home, i sooo want to have slicks for the golf, even though the Toyo R1R are very much up for the job i get a much more confident feeling from the slicks (Dunlops) and after speaking to the pit crew must admit that the brake setup on the Polo's (old S4 2 piston on the inside) setup are a tad better than the Cupra/R32 setup i have currently. ( I believe that DaveB has reviewed that setup in a tread and regards them as worthy for the Golf platform)

The Peugeot Spider, well it was okay but i much prefer to do the driving myself,, so a couple of more laps for myself and that would have been more my thing  :wink:

As a "golden touch" at the end i got John Nielsen to take the Golf for a couple of laps with me as copilot  :jumping:  :love:
He was pleased with the handling really rated the dif highly, and even though it was a bit "soft" as it wasn't setup right he thought the wifeycar was a potent track toy as well as a daily driver. ( I now have brag rights amongst my carnuts mates  :star: )

Thank you for looking and comments wellcome. Hopefully more pictures to come when i get from the other participatants(???) is there such a word??  :confused:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Formel event on Jyllandsringen (Denmark) July 2010
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 09:04:43 pm »
Looks like you had a great day.  :congrats:

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:10:11 pm »
Looks like you had a great day.  :congrats:

Only dark point of the day was a coworker drove to and from  the track to try the car and he got his driver license suspended for some spirited driving on the way over, on our motorway  :sad1:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 07:52:49 pm »
looks like an excellent day out at the track.